Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:46 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And eminent domain, historically, has often been used by the wealthy and powerful to their advantage.

George W. Bush, prior to his political career, was heading the Texas Rangers baseball team, and was able to use eminent domain to get land relatively cheaply from a landowner (who was very reluctant to sell), to build their new baseball stadium in Arlington, TX. Made out very well, financially.
Oh yes, I know. The Kelo case was especially blatant. My very first knowledge of eminent domain was when LA built dodger stadium and condemned a neighborhood of hispanic homeowners to do it. The not-very-subtle racism in the news stories and opinions was very evident to me, and I was just barely a teen-ager at the time.

The exercise of eminent domain always hurts someone, it's the nature of the beast. At the least, it means that a landowner is not getting the price s/he thinks s/he ought to get - eminent domain is used when negotiations fail. The question to me is, what's the nature of the harm? I'm not as sympathetic when eminent domain is used against a slumlord who has been holding out for an above-market price for property that could be used to expand a hospital or a real estate speculator who has purchased land with the express purpose of making out like a bandit when growth moves in her/his direction. Profit is fine. Huge profit at the expense of taxpayers is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The matter was decided in Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005). It's not a matter for debate in a presidential race, since it the property usually taken by the state, not the federal government.
The feds use eminent domain. History Of The Federal Use Of Eminent Domain | ENRD | Department of Justice

You're right, ED is not currently on the public front burners. But Trump's opinions on ED do speak to his plutocratic tendencies, and some people *do* care about this aspect of his character.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
My grandfather lost his house to the city that wanted to build a housing project. That wouldn't have been so bad if they offered a reasonable price but they low-balled and he had little means to fight them.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Yo beat me too it. Reading all these conservative strict constitutionalists railing against Eminent Domain, which is enshrined in the constitution, has me shaking my head questioning what these people really believe. They point to the constitution when the constitution supports what they want, then complain about items actually in the constitution.
Eminent Domain, is not enshrined in the constitution. Just the opposite. Property rights are enshrined in the constitution. What part of "Public use" don't you understand? It is not to be used for redistribution to other private entities.

Eminent Domain was never intended to take property from private individuals to give to a private industry.
Property in a free society should be owned by the people and shouldn't be regulated by government. Government shouldn't be able to take land from individuals to give privileges to another group.

Let me guess You know what the Founders meant even though their words say differently.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
The matter was decided in Kelo v. City of New London, 545 U.S. 469 (2005). It's not a matter for debate in a presidential race, since it the property usually taken by the state, not the federal government.
Who cares if it's usually taken by states? The act itself is theft, period. Individual rights are absolute. Property rights were one of the cornerstones of our nations founding.

Kelo v. City of New London is legalized theft.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The feds use eminent domain. History Of The Federal Use Of Eminent Domain | ENRD | Department of Justice

You're right, ED is not currently on the public front burners. But Trump's opinions on ED do speak to his plutocratic tendencies, and some people *do* care about this aspect of his character.
this aspect of his LACK of character

Old 10-11-2015, 11:11 AM

25,942 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
not really.. it shows that Trump will do whats needed to make what he's in charge of, successful..

Eminent Domain is a governmental and legal process, not a business one.
Every question has to be asked of Trump, I'm guessing you realize this. They have to find some obscure thing to ask him so they can revive the negativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
As it's used by Trump and all too often, it's theft and an abuse of liberty.
So, what are doing to change it? I'd be interested if you have a group or what your government officials are saying to you when you tell them this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I never liked the idea of eminent domain until I saw its benefit personally.

In a town I once lived in, there was a stretch of road nicknamed "dead man's curve". Lots of accidents, some of them fatal happened there. The road was severely curved and created a huge blind spot so you could not see oncoming traffic. Apparently, when the road was constructed, the home owner whose land would have been bought to make room for the road (sans curve) refused to sell. It was a small portion of the front yard, but the owner wouldn't budge. That was a case where eminent domain should have been enacted.

Although I agree eminent domain can be abused, in many cases the owners are generously compensated, and the benefits to many outweigh the negative to a few. This is an issue that will arise frequently when and if the keystone pipeline goes through.
I have seen it benefit also. Of course, this isn't about eminent domain but finding something negative about Trump. Basically, thread fail as I doubt this will reduce his chances.

History Of The Federal Use Of Eminent Domain | ENRD | Department of Justice

Old 10-11-2015, 12:01 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Tea party members who speak about individual rights and freedom for these type of gov't enforced laws like ED need to take note.
I couldent have said it better!

I get a real kick out of these Tea Party types who are always screaming about "liberty", "freedom", etc and then turn around and support fascists like Trump. They claim to stand for individual liberty but then they support the deportation of an entire ethnic group regardless of their legal status. They turn around and support this clown who openly praises Eminent Domain - which IMO should only be allowed for public safety or national defense purposes ... not because some businessman wants to open a store or build a condo complex. Even if they offer market rate, or paid re-location in the surrounding community it's still not the same. Homes are memories. People deserve that.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:08 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
Trump is not a single issue candidate so you can bring up any issue you want and bash him but it won't change anyone's mind . There is not a candidate out there that most people will agree with on all the issues.
Mostly democrats now on CD trying to promote the Hillary and Sanders agenda bashing Trump out of fear. Almost every headline in the media about Trump is negative and has been for weeks. Nearly every pundit and interviewer is out for a gotcha moment and displays a negative attitude with constant interruptions trying to steer Trump into making a mistake. They want to deceive the people claiming support for Trump is waning in a desperate attempt hoping their negativity will catch on.
It's not working and Trump is gaining supporters among all races who are attracted to a positive vision and want to be part of a new more successful America. "GO TRUMP" or go to the dump and resurrect the tired same old crap the political class has been offering for 70 years.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

So, what are doing to change it? I'd be interested if you have a group or what your government officials are saying to you when you tell them this.
This isn't about me. It's about big government Trump trying to steal someones property. Nice deflection though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have seen it benefit also. Of course, this isn't about eminent domain but finding something negative about Trump. Basically, thread fail as I doubt this will reduce his chances.
It's about the truth. Seek it. Yes lets not discuss one of the cornerstones of our nations founding. By all means lets sweep property rights under the rug and ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections