Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:35 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Off year non midterm elections have the lowest turnout of any election, Kentucky has a Governor's race, but other than that no state has any high profile races, primarily local ones. =

Here we had county legislature elections, Town elections (for Supervisor and Town Council) along with Judges. The highest profile race was a Special Election for Nassau County District Attorney following last year's election of Kathleen Rice to Congress.

What races were up by you? Did you vote? And how was turnout? Turnout here seemed light, I was the 23rd person in my precinct of a little over 2,000 that voted, I did vote at 8am on my way to work. Polls here are open to 9pm and more people do tend to vote in the evening than morning, but turnout is expected to be low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 03:45 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Local and state elections---and yes, I voted. Turnout, as usual, was light for such elections.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:25 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Wow, Election Day 2015 and no one is talking about it on an Elections forum. Glad you brought it up.

In Ohio we had an anti-gerrymandering bill which would allow a bipartisan committee to draw up state district lines, rather than the currently elected body. We also had a legalize weed thingy, with a sister proposition which would negate it.

I did notice more people than usual in an off-year election, probably because of the marijuana proposition, so that was nice to see.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:11 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
I did not vote. It was a sort of watershed event for me as it prepared me for things to come. Next year if I don’t like the choices I have I won’t vote. No more lesser of two evils. No more better Bush than Hillary.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
County elections and Supreme Court judges. More importantly, I got to vote for the registrar of wills and the corner. Unfortunately I never got to hear or read their campaign promises cause I'm dying to know what kind of promises a registrar of wills and a corner would make.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:25 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
local mayor Orlando FL-voted and he won -- waiting for other wins in: education- weed - sex and medical care in other states

Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
The GOP takes yet another governorship as Matt Bevin wins Kentucky. The Democrat Party really has turned into a fringe party - relegated to the coasts and large urban centers.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
It appears the Virginia GOP will not only hold its narrow Senate majority but will likely enlarge it. Another crushing defeat for the fringe Democrat Party.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:46 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Updates on various races:

- Kentucky: Despite polls suggesting a Democratic hold, the gubernatorial position previously held by the now term-limited Steve Beshear (D) is projected to be won by Matt Bevin (R), as he defeats his rivals Jack Conway (D) and Drew Curtis (I). Republicans will now control the state senate and the governor's mansion, while Democrats control the state house and the secretary of state's office (defeated senatorial candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes will hold her position as secretary of state).

- Ohio: There are three major statewide ballot measures to discuss. First, Issue 1 would change the rules for the state redistricting commission to allow for increased minority party representation, and change the rules surrounding the development of district boundaries. Issue 2 would regulate ballot measures that concern state monopolies; if the vote on Issue 2 is a yes, that would mean that even if Issue 3 was passed, it would still be invalidated by Issue 2 - at least according to the office of the Ohio Secretary of State. Supporters of Issue 3 challenge the secretary claim.

Speaking of Issue 3, this is "that marijuana initiative". A "yes" vote would legalize limited amounts of marijuana, allow marijuana to be grown at a very limited number of locations, and provide for regulation of the sale of marijuana.

As I type this, Issue 1 is looking to pass overwhelmingly, while Issue 2 is barely passing. Issue 3 is overwhelmingly failing. Most of the results so far are from rural areas, but some suburbs and urban precincts are starting to trickle in.

- Virginia: Here, the state senate is up for grabs. The GOP currently controls the chamber, but by a hair (21-19). The Democrats need a net gain of one seat to win control, as the Lieutenant Governor (Raplh Northam - D) holds the tiebreaker.

Unfortunately for Democrats, WDBJ is reporting that the GOP will hold the state senate.

Of course, there were also various local ballot measures and races. I know that in my county, there were votes on creating two new cities...one is set to fail and the other is set to pass, if trends hold.

- skbl17

Old 11-03-2015, 08:00 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
If Congress any indication, I am sure Democrats will find more than one Republican senator to peel away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections