Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:48 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,997,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Asked about what to do with the people here illegally, however, he stressed that he had never tried to undo the goal of allowing them to stay.
“The amendment that I introduced removed the path to citizenship, but it did not change the underlying work permit from the Gang of Eight,” he said during a recent visit to El Paso. Mr. Cruz also noted that he had not called for deportation or, as Mitt Romney famously advocated, self-deportation…

Mr. Cruz said recent polling indicated that people outside Washington support some reform, including legal status without citizenship. He said he was against naturalization because it rewarded lawbreakers and was unfair to legal immigrants. It also perpetuates illegal crossings, he added… Mr. Cruz has said the stalemate is denying help to farmers and ranchers who “have a real need for labor resources.”
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/13/us...tion.html?_r=0

Video Link: https://youtu.be/4CwVrfydjOI

So, it appears there is exactly zero difference between Cruz and Rubio on immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 AM

26,239 posts, read 22,415,097 times
Well, Trump wants to bring them out of the shadows too! BUT, he wants to load them up and ship them out. Not to mention that anymore, they aren't in the shadows. They picketing and demanding the same rights as citizens and suing OUR government, which is us paying out to members of this infestation.

You have to watch what these candidates and compare it to what they were saying in the past.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,259,849 times
I'm not sure when it comes to Cruz and immigration, I don't trust him. Last year he said we need to be welcoming to the Syrian refugees and take in as many as we can. I don't know how he feels now with the crisis in the middle east, but I have lost a little confidence him on immigration.

In fact, I don't really know where any of the candidates stand on the shipments of middle eastern immigrants we are supposed to be receiving over the next couple of years. No one in the media talks about the crisis over there. Trump did mention they would have to go back if he becomes president.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 AM

63,489 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm not sure when it comes to Cruz and immigration, I don't trust him. Last year he said we need to be welcoming to the Syrian refugees and take in as many as we can. I don't know how he feels now with the crisis in the middle east, but I have lost a little confidence him on immigration.

In fact, I don't really know where any of the candidates stand on the shipments of middle eastern immigrants we are supposed to be receiving over the next couple of years. No one in the media talks about the crisis over there. Trump did mention they would have to go back if he becomes president.
I don't trust him either. So just as long as illegals aren't given a path to citizenship he's ok with them remaining here? WTH?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,259,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't trust him either. So just as long as illegals aren't given a path to citizenship he's ok with them remaining here? WTH?
In the last debate he sounded strong on the immigration issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta5T...layer_embedded

"It is an economic issue for Americans. If lawyers, bankers and journalists were crossing the Rio Grande illegally, then we would see stories on the economic calamity that is befalling our nation."

But after a little digging I find he's lukewarm on the issue.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:58 AM

63,489 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
In the last debate he sounded strong on the immigration issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta5T...layer_embedded

"It is an economic issue for Americans. If lawyers, bankers and journalists were crossing the Rio Grande illegally, then we would see stories on the economic calamity that is befalling our nation."

But after a little digging I find he's lukewarm on the issue.
I didn't watch the video but did he say he is for deporting illegal aliens either voluntarily or in-voluntarily? Politicians have a habit of flip flopping or not answering questions directly to pander to both sides of an issue. I want a candidate that is clear on his views and won't flip flop after being elected.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:28 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,861,765 times
Please note that what Marco Rubio is trying to do is frame the narrative that he has made a mistake, but so has Senator Ted Cruz, I'm more electable, so elect me. He has a problem though, and it is this, as described in an analogy by David Horowitz - The only similarities between the two is one was the Firefighter and one was the Arsonist. Both were at the fire, but one was the perpetrator, i.e. Marco Rubio.

Beginning the debate on this issue (for those interested in facts) - these two questions must be asked:

1. If Cruz had the same position on a path to citizenship why would he try to kill Rubio's Gang of 8 bill?
2. If Cruz had the same position on a path to citizenship, why would Cruz work on defunding Obama's executive amnesty?

Now let's look at the facts, and set the record straight:

Cruz's work on this issue was instrumental in bringing out the fact that the Gang of 8 was only about a path to citizenship.

The amendments that Cruz introduced were "designed" specifically to expose that the Gang of 8 was about a pathway to citizenship.

There are many conservatives willing to work with a guest worker program with one stipulation - the border must be secure, taking citizenship off the table.
Quote:
Cruz called path to citizenship a poison pill that was intended to kill the bill from Day One.
Byron York: Ted Cruz opens up on immigration | Washington Examiner
Quote:
Team Rubio Hits Cruz Over Alleged ‘Support For Amnesty’ [VIDEO]

Team Rubio Hits Cruz Over Alleged 'Support For Amnesty' | The Daily Caller
Quote:
David Horowitz explains the issue here, because he was there when the Gang of 8 was going down.
http://3gvusk3xxvabsbjj3a4x467y.wpen...ur3_111215.mp3

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,997,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
There are many conservatives willing to work with a guest worker program with one stipulation - the border must be secure, taking citizenship off the table.
Exactly, Cruz and Rubio are both conservatives who hold that position.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:42 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwLD-yj_fE

He explains the strategy of the amendments he introduced on (Gang of 8) and also discusses the H1B issue - "...something has changed. It started out bringing in high skilled workers who would boost the economy and now they are seeing reports coming in about people bringing not high-skilled workers, but those coming in with college degrees, some from diploma mills, and bringing them in to lay off American workers, and forcing American workers to train the people they are bringing in. That is illegal and it is wrong. In fact, I am working very closely with Jeff Sessions on introducing legislation to fundamentally reform the H1-B program to prevent these abuses."

Old 11-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Exactly, Cruz and Rubio are both conservatives who hold that position.
No, Rubio worked with Gang of 8 which proved to be about a pathway to citizenship. He is on record fully supporting that and backed away only because of the backlash he was receiving. He was trying to make a mark for himself and it ended badly.

Amnesty has never been Ted Cruz's position. He is for "legal" immigration and worker permits, but against citizenship for those that came here illegally. Rubio has been for Amnesty and has said as much on Univision - in Spanish.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections