Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,481,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
nope, make him secretary of defense
I see what you did there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 02:15 PM

7,609 posts, read 6,115,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The moment I saw the thread title and read a few lines, I knew you probably liked Ventura because he is a outspoken critic of religion. You probably like Penn & Teller also.
I like all three of them despite their aversion to religion. However that does not mean I think they are qualified to be president or even a governor for that matter. One is a good action actor (Predator), and the other two are good and funny comedians/satirical critics.

For someone who is both fiscally & socially conservative, you should be voting (R) beyond the shadow of a doubt. Just because some in the (R) party are evangelicals doesn't mean anything. Other than a belief/disbelief in God, you have a lot more in common with them than the liberal progressives who have taken control of the (D) party.
How you can stand the policies of Obama/Hillary/Pelosi is beyond me, atheist or no.

As an FYI, (R's) have no problem with you exercising your constitutional right to be an atheist, it is just that they will not be a cheerleader of your choice.
They also do not want activist atheists trying to infringe on their traditions that have been widely accepted in American culture (i.e. Christmas traditions for example). So live and let live, as they are not looking to round up non believers and put you into camps or behead them. That is the domain of the lunatic Islamics which the (D) party seems to embrace compared to Christians/Jews.

`
Ventura IS Entertaining. He was entertaining as an entertainment wrestler. (We here at the big cat's house refer to Professional Wrestling, or "Rasslin' " as "entertainment wrestling") He was a very entertaining showman, he learned there how to work the crowd. He used it to his advantage in the Gubernatorial race, where people were tired of free handouts and politicians. He was able to use his showmanship to appeal to the people and tell them what they wanted to hear, and in a way that stuck.
Trump is doing that now, and he is no more qualified to be President than Ventura, but I would say I find the latter more entertaining than the former.

As for the policies of Obama and Bill Clinton's Wife, a I have stated my disapproval as needed and when appropriate. I refuse to hate, and I refuse to go against Obama just because he is black (like a few local Baptists I know) As for Bill Clinton's wife, I am not sold on her, and I am against pretty much everything I have heard from Bernie Sanders. Much of what has been done wrong needs to be undone, sort of like Reagan had to do after Carter.
Only now it is after Bush/Obama that the problems must be undone. Government is too big, still too wasteful, and in need of some major overhauls, especially in Medicare, Health Care (Obamacare) and Social Security. If that makes me liberal so be it. But I think that entitlements are ruining the fiscal integrity of the nation. If that makes me conservative, so be it.

I will not oppose an idea just because it is presented by a certain party member. But there are few democrats as conservative as myself, in spite of my ragged look.

I have no problem with the constitutional right of anyone else to choose a religion. That is a foundation to which our nation which must endure. I have found that many Republicans do not like the choice I have made, choosing atheism as my faith.
But looking at the Soviet Union, where they tried to Ban religion, we see that it did not work out so well. No more than in Iran, where they have what amounts to a theocracy.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:03 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,851,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Believe it or not, Jesse Ventura may actually be running for president in 2016 under the Libertarian Party. He alluded to a possible campaign on Colmes a few weeks ago saying party officials have urged him to attend their convention in May and assuring he would have a good shot at securing the nomination. Jesse says he'll decide around March.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Here's three things that happen every time there's a Presidential election or a Minnesota Senate election - or both:
1) Jesse Ventura says that he's thinking about running - and this time he really means it!
2) Jesse Ventura has a new book or TV show out - and every time he's booked to talk about politics and his possible run for office, he actually spends most of his time talking about how awesome he and his book/show are!
3) Jesse Ventura announces that he's thought really hard about it - but neither the U.S. nor Minnesota deserve as great a President/Senator as him!

Every time, people fall for it. And every time, I'm sure Jesse Ventura is laughing all the way to the bank.

You've got to hand it to Ventura - he knows how to manipulate the gullible, and he knows the limits of his modest colt of personality (which is why he didn't run for re-election as Governor in 2002, and why he'll never run for office again).
Well, the Libertarians have their nominee.

Libertarians pick ticket, slam Trump - CNNPolitics.com

Oh, and Ventura? No, he didn't even seek the nomination. Like I said, he does this I-might-run-for-President! shtick every time. And you people fall for it every time.

Every.
Time.

Anyway, I see the Libertarians have settled on a Gary Johnson-William Weld ticket. Wow! That's two Republican rejects this time! Usually, the Libertarians content themselves with one Republican reject (Gray Johnson, Bob Barr, Ron Paul, etc.) but they apparently love Republican rejects so much they've gone with two this time!

That poses the question: what will the Republican Reject Party - ooops, I mean the Libertarian Party - ticket be in 2020? Ben Carson-Sarah Palin? Rick Santorum-Ted Nugent? Scott Brown-Dennis Hastert? (Yes, I know there's nothing libertarian about those candidates, but when has that ever stopped the Libertarian Party?)

Old 05-29-2016, 07:09 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,342,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, the Libertarians have their nominee.

Libertarians pick ticket, slam Trump - CNNPolitics.com

Oh, and Ventura? No, he didn't even seek the nomination. Like I said, he does this I-might-run-for-President! shtick every time. And you people fall for it every time.

Every.
Time.

Anyway, I see the Libertarians have settled on a Gary Johnson-William Weld ticket. Wow! That's two Republican rejects this time! Usually, the Libertarians content themselves with one Republican reject (Gray Johnson, Bob Barr, Ron Paul, etc.) but they apparently love Republican rejects so much they've gone with two this time!

That poses the question: what will the Republican Reject Party - ooops, I mean the Libertarian Party - ticket be in 2020? Ben Carson-Sarah Palin? Rick Santorum-Ted Nugent? Scott Brown-Dennis Hastert? (Yes, I know there's nothing libertarian about those candidates, but when has that ever stopped the Libertarian Party?)
You know what? You were absolutely right. I noticed Jesse Ventura posted on twitter that he wanted to "put an end to the speculation" that he's running for president. He was the one who started it in the first place! He talked a big game for months about how he was going to run if Bernie dropped out and he was going to save America. All this BS. Come to find out, he is releasing two new books this summer about Marijuana and political gaffes. Talk about deceiving your followers for free publicity and book sales.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:20 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,143,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Talk about deceiving your followers for free publicity and book sales.
That applies to another WWE Hall of Famer, class of 2013.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections