Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,351,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It IS easy to say because I am an American, and Americans are not supposed to support torture. Americans hold themselves out to be better than those who would torture prisoners. And it saddens me to see that many people here don't see us that way. They want us to become the animals we claim to hate.

It saddens me as well. American values are no longer American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:22 AM

39,503 posts, read 27,881,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It saddens me as well. American values are no longer American.
well if you have loved one who is currently serving, I am sure you won't mind interrogation technique on the savages. Talk is cheap.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,136,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Like I said, I won't discuss this with you because I will always lose when you bring American ideals into the discussion. You won, happy?
I would be happier if we could agree that torture is not what we want to stand for as Americans in the world. And I don't mean to single you out here. You at least are able to have a reasonable discussion about it. Too many others on this board won't bat an eye at Americans using torture on prisoners, even as they wave the flag and declare their love for this country.

I appreciate the civil discourse.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,828,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
So it is OK to waterboard suspects? What if they are actually innocent and have no answers to give? Does it then become "Sorry about that"?
What if they aren't? What if they do have the answers that could save hundreds, or thousands of innocent lives?

You'd be better served to talk about how local police use torture on hundreds of citizens every day. Sleep and water deprivation, tag team interrogations, and tools to commit battery which leave no marks.

I have little remorse for those who would/could seek to destroy America, especially the snakes from within.

Last edited by steven_h; 11-23-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 AM

39,503 posts, read 27,881,718 times
Quote:
I would be happier if we could agree that torture is not what we want to stand for as Americans in the world. And I don't mean to single you out here. You at least are able to have a reasonable discussion about it. Too many others on this board won't bat an eye at Americans using torture on prisoners, even as they wave the flag and declare their love for this country.

I appreciate the civil discourse.
I think these are two separate issues.

We are not fighting a conventional war. There is only a fine line between friends and foes.

I don't have a solution and I honestly don't know if waterboarding is an effective interrogation technique. I've read many articles online and some say it is, some say it is not. But waterboarding has been used by many countries during war time. Combat troops, especially special forces would rather die before getting caught. war is a different animal.

I dont want to discuss who is more American, I want to discuss what interrogation technique is more effective. But to tell me interrogation techniques should never be used is simply insane.

"Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems." - Chris Kyle. Not politically correct to say I am sure, but it is true.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 AM

4,640 posts, read 3,452,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is my understanding that waterboarding is part of training for our own military. Two of my sons, and a DIL have been through SEER school, and other types of Special Forces training in which they got to "learn" about waterboarding, up close and personal. It seems to me that once you know that you will not drown, waterboarding loses its effectiveness.
I have now seen 2 great instructional movies on waterboarding:

Taken 3
The Good Shepherd

Old 11-23-2015, 08:35 AM

4,640 posts, read 3,452,617 times
Quote:
So we should be as bad as they are. We should become that which we most abhor. That will show them.

Sigh, indeed...
If we stopped getting involved in foreign BS, and that included the acceptance of refugees, then we would not be in a position to stooping to their level.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
If we stopped getting involved in foreign BS, and that included the acceptance of refugees, then we would not be in a position to stooping to their level.
We should be strong enough not to stoop to their level no matter what they are doing. If we're not, then our ideals really aren't very strong to begin with, are they?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,391,727 times
Quote:
No, American ideals shouldn't be suspended in time of war. If anything, that's when we show who we really are. What good are ideals if they can be suspended at will?
I am sure you are typing these words from the safety of your basement. BTW, nothing is being “suspended”.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am sure you are typing these words from the safety of your basement.
As are you, tough guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
BTW, nothing is being “suspended”.
You're right, I should have said thrown away completely. Which is what we do when we torture people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections