Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:02 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,399,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I always wonder why Jews are overwhelmingly democratic rather than republican. As a conservative, I can never figure that one out. I always thought Republican presidents are more pro Israel than Democratic presidents and I always thought, maybe wrongly, that Jews in American had no better friends than conservatives myself included.
Well, for one, Jewish American voters aren't one-issue voters (I'll bet many of them from a policy side favor Democratic policy issues), and their views with respect to Israel aren't monolithic. Most Jewish elected officials are overwhelmingly Democrats. Sure, AIPAC is the biggest and oldest lobby, and they tend to be hawkish, but there are competing groups - such as J-Street, which is more leftish, that is growing in influence.

Secondly, support for Israel is generally bipartisan...and the Israelis look to the long run with managing US-ISR relations with that in mind. That is, until recently, with Bibi's tilt to the Republicans, which actually has dismayed a lot of people in Israel - about getting TOO involved in US domestic politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 02:36 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,465,453 times
I don't see why anyone would be surprised that most jews don't support Trump -here are some of the remarks he made yesterday to the Republican Jewish Coalition:

Quote:
“I’m a negotiator like you folks,” he said.

Perhaps the most curious part of the speech—which is really saying something—came when he suggested the Jewish audience wouldn’t support him because they couldn’t control him through donations. “I don’t want your money, therefore you’re probably not gonna support me,” he said.

“Trump doesn’t want our money, therefore we can’t—” he continued, launching into an imagined dramatic inner monologue of what the audience must be thinking, “Even though he’s better than all these guys, even though he’s gonna do more for Israel than anybody else, even though Bibi Netanyahu asked me to do a commercial for him and I did and he won his race, I was very happy.” http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-t-buy-me.html
I think most people recognize the stereotypes and it's hard to imagine how it endeared himself to Jewish voters.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,987,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I always wonder why Jews are overwhelmingly democratic rather than republican. As a conservative, I can never figure that one out. I always thought Republican presidents are more pro Israel than Democratic presidents and I always thought, maybe wrongly, that Jews in American had no better friends than conservatives myself included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, for one, Jewish American voters aren't one-issue voters (I'll bet many of them from a policy side favor Democratic policy issues), and their views with respect to Israel aren't monolithic. Most Jewish elected officials are overwhelmingly Democrats. Sure, AIPAC is the biggest and oldest lobby, and they tend to be hawkish, but there are competing groups - such as J-Street, which is more leftish, that is growing in influence.

Secondly, support for Israel is generally bipartisan...and the Israelis look to the long run with managing US-ISR relations with that in mind. That is, until recently, with Bibi's tilt to the Republicans, which actually has dismayed a lot of people in Israel - about getting TOO involved in US domestic politics.
Silverkris nailed it.

American Jews are NOT one issue voters.

American Jews are generally pro-Israel, but that does not mean they are slavishly so and most actually are not enthralled with Netanyahu.

Jewish values are very very different than conservative evangelical Christian values. For example, the vast majority Jews are sympathetic and supportive of gay rights and legal same sex marriage. This was dramatically proved as far back as 1977 when Anita Bryant had her campaign to repeal a pro-gay rights county ordinance in Dade County. The only major voting bloc that vastly supported the Gays were the Jewish community, under the leadership of Rabbi Joseph Narot of Temple Israel of Greater Miami. Most major Jewish organizations have issued pro-LGBT Rights resolutions.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,606,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't see why anyone would be surprised that most jews don't support Trump -here are some of the remarks he made yesterday to the Republican Jewish Coalition:

I think most people recognize the stereotypes and it's hard to imagine how it endeared himself to Jewish voters.
I never thought Donald Trump was dumb ~ until this political season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections