Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:11 AM

491 posts, read 319,811 times

Advertisements

Although I think that Jeb Bush should never have run for president (because he has a zero chance of winning), I also believe that Marco Rubio betrayed his one-time mentor by running against him for the GOP nomination. It is obvious that Rubio owed much of his political rise to Jeb, so it strikes me as intensely disloyal for Marco to challenge Bush for the presidency.

Even if you disagree with my assertion (that Marco was disloyal), it is just plain stupid politics for Rubio to have done what he did, because he essentially bit the hand that fed him. The Bush people hate his guts, and I am convinced that the Jeb is now staying in this race solely to destroy Rubio. Had Rubio been a "good little Republican" and "waited his turn," the Bush money machine would have financed a future presidential campaign.

I suspect that a lot of Rubio's failure in this campaign (in terms of his failure to become the "establishment" favorite) stems from the fact that there is such animosity between the Rubio and Bush people. If Rubio actually had Jeb's "blessing," he might very well be the GOP front-runner right now. Instead, he stupidly gave up his Senate seat (because he can't run for re-election and president at the same time), which means that his political career will be over in a year. Meanwhile, the establishment cannot unite behind a single candidate, and Donald Trump will be the likely nominee.

Does anybody else agree with me that Rubio betrayed Bush by running against him for the presidency? For those who either don't care or who disagree with that opinion, does anybody else at least concur that it was stupid politics for Rubio to have pissed off the Bush family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
Although I think that Jeb Bush should never have run for president (because he has a zero chance of winning), I also believe that Marco Rubio betrayed his one-time mentor by running against him for the GOP nomination. It is obvious that Rubio owed much of his political rise to Jeb, so it strikes me as intensely disloyal for Marco to challenge Bush for the presidency.

Even if you disagree with my assertion (that Marco was disloyal), it is just plain stupid politics for Rubio to have done what he did, because he essentially bit the hand that fed him. The Bush people hate his guts, and I am convinced that the Jeb is now staying in this race solely to destroy Rubio. Had Rubio been a "good little Republican" and "waited his turn," the Bush money machine would have financed a future presidential campaign.

I suspect that a lot of Rubio's failure in this campaign (in terms of his failure to become the "establishment" favorite) stems from the fact that there is such animosity between the Rubio and Bush people. If Rubio actually had Jeb's "blessing," he might very well be the GOP front-runner right now. Instead, he stupidly gave up his Senate seat (because he can't run for re-election and president at the same time), which means that his political career will be over in a year. Meanwhile, the establishment cannot unite behind a single candidate, and Donald Trump will be the likely nominee.
I don't know the ins and outs of this, but this sounds like a smart read. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:47 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Does anybody else agree with me that Rubio betrayed Bush by running against him for the presidency? For those who either don't care or who disagree with that opinion, does anybody else at least concur that it was stupid politics for Rubio to have pissed off the Bush family?
No.

And he never like being a Senator anyway.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:49 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:

I think you're on the right road. I remember watching some of the first debates, and at first, Rubio and Jeb were all chummy, saying nice things about each other, but by the next debate, Rubio went after Jeb. Jeb actually looked surprised.

Anyway, my first gut reaction thought to that was towards Rubio. I can't say, on this forum, exactly what I was thinking, but it had a lot to do with the posterior region of a donkey.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:36 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
The truth is that Jeb never had a chance from the get-go of winning a national election but before Trump had every likelihood of winning the Reublican nomination. There have been too many Bush presidents in this generation. I always felt Jeb needed to not run and wait for his son to have a go at the job. I remember reading an excellent article one of the earlier times Ted Kennedy was running for the Democratic nomination where it discussed that political dynasties have a limited number of crown princes per generation. Two of the points that I remember well are because Americans are very leery about creating a "Royal" family and that Americans love political change. The bottom line is that other than Bush loyalists, most everyone realized Bush could never win a national election.

This has always been looked upon as Hillary's shoe-in election in part because the Republican nomination always looked like Jeb's shoe-in. I honestly think Rubio ran this time to get his name out there for the 2020 election that would be a Hillary Clinton re-election. No one really expected Rubio to have a chance of winning this time. What happened was that Rubio held his own in the first debate despite Trump taking most of the limelight, whereas Jeb sort of shriveled up into a non-entity when faced with a candidate that didn't care if he offended two former presidents by insulting their son and brother. That pattern happened again in the next debate.

The problem is not that Rubio is running, the problem is that Jeb isn't winning. You notice that Rubio did not attack Bush first, nor has he talked negatively about Bush, unless I just happened to miss it. No, Bush attacked him first because his numbers were falling and his campaign team felt Rubio's votes would probably be the easiest to convert to Jeb votes in order to prop up his numbers against Trump. As we all know, that ended up backfiring on him, it was a huge mistake to do it during a live debate when his heart really wasn't in it to begin with, it made him look even weaker and was pretty much the final nail in the coffin. Trump started Jeb's problems, not Rubio. Rubio is actually getting the numbers everyone expected him to have at this point in the election cycle and is currently in the expected pecking order, what was unexpected was that it would be Trump with crazy high numbers and Bush barely holding on.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-05-2015 at 04:47 AM..

Old 12-05-2015, 05:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
You can run for president and the Senate at the same time. While it was VP, Lieberman did.

Granted, it would look bad if you got the nomination. In Rubio's case, he isn't going to.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I agree it was disloyal to Bush for Rubio to run. He seems to be extremely ambitious and doesn't care who he uses or what he has to do to get to the top.

IMO Jeb never had his heart in running in the first place. I think the donors all convinced him he would be a shoo-in with his name and all the money behind him. Having to fight so hard for the nomination never occurred to him and he isn't happy doing it.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I agree too. That is one thing I agreed with Trump on; he mentioned it early on that it seemed disloyal to him.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Oh come on: I think anyone who pays any attention to politics knew a few years ago, probably as early as 2012 Rubio would probably throw his hat in the ring this year. In fact, I would say it is the other way around, no one ever thought seriously, Bush would run until a year or so ago. And though many seemed to think he would be the establishment choice, I didn't. He doesn't have the fire in his belly, and he would always have the Bush name to defend. I am certainly not a hater of the Bush's. I happen to have a lot of respect for them as a family, but the name would not have helped him. Yes, Rubio is one very ambitious young man, but to be President or even run a decent campaign, that is what it takes.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
If Bush goes out early, and I think he will, some other candidate should run a negative ad on Rubio: He betrayed his mentor and are we next (and use illegal immigration images in the background like of Gang of 8 Rubio on the Senate floor along with Bush being nice to Rubio when he was a pup and Rubio stabbing Bush in the back)? People already don't trust Rubio on illegal immigration. Plant the "he can't be trusted" image in people's head. They can't do the ad until Bush drops out because you don't want Bush to get the sympathy vote. Hopefully, Bush won't be dumb enough to endorse Rubio.

Keep in mind, Florida is a Winner Take All state. The others that vote before Florida proportion their delegates so this is why you see the Republican Machine pushing Rubio now. He could get delegates in the states he doesn't win, too, but Florida is the big enchilada of delegates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections