Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,641,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It cost him a delegate or two. Out of 2500. Yeah, that sure cost him BIG TIME!

And that's assuming that missing the debate actually had anything to do with him finishing behind Cruz.

It's just Fox News pushing their feeling of self importance. Nothing to see here.
Almost all of the talking heads - many of whom LOOVE Trump (Joe Scarborough) think that skipping the debate *might* have cost him the win in Iowa.

They did not think so at the time - but considering his 2nd place finish - they now wonder if that might be the case.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:51 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,530,957 times
The only reason it may have cost him, is because I think the debate actually helped Rubio, and that may have taken votes away from Trump. Cause if Trump would have showed up, the whole debate would have been him and Cruz, and Rubio probably wouldn't have had a chance to shine

Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,365,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Almost all of the talking heads - many of whom LOOVE Trump (Joe Scarborough) think that skipping the debate *might* have cost him the win in Iowa.

They did not think so at the time - but considering his 2nd place finish - they now wonder if that might be the case.
And maybe it did. But again, we're talking about a swing of a couple of delegates so what does it really matter?

Not to mention the other variables. What if he had shown up and tanked it? It might have hurt him even more.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,133,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
And maybe it did. But again, we're talking about a swing of a couple of delegates so what does it really matter?

Not to mention the other variables. What if he had shown up and tanked it? It might have hurt him even more.
Obviously that's what he was afraid of. The whole Megyn Kelly debacle was a smokescreen. He was afraid of being shown up for his lack of actual knowledge or ideas so soon before actual voting began and people were really paying attention. And maybe he was right--maybe he would have fared worse had he shown up and exposed his ignorance, which would have been fresh in the minds of the Iowa caucus goers. Much safer to hold a rally where he can talk AT people rather than have to listen to and answer to them instead.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,856,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
"Also Bret, interesting to point out that Donald Trump did not do particularly well with people who decided late," Roberts discussed with his colleague, Fox News anchor Bret Baier. "Marco Rubio seems to be doing better with them, so he may come to rue the day that he did not show up for that final debate on Thursday night because a lot of people were looking to that debate for some signals on how to make up their mind. Trump was not there."

Fox News To Trump: Skipping Our Debate Sure Cost You In Iowa, Buddy!

I don't normally put much stock in anything that comes from Fox News, but I was thinking the same thing leading up to the last debate. A lot of voters don't start to pay attention until it's close to the time that they go to the polls, and I wondered if Trump skipping out on that last debate would cost him because of it. Not saying that was the only reason, but it's an interesting theory.
I doubt that skipping the debate cost Trump much, if anything.

I am frankly surprised that Trump did as well as he did. Iowa Rs will *always* go for the religious conservative, and Trump isn't all that conservative, nor is he all that religious. Cruz, Rubio, and Carson can lay claim to being religious conservatives, so I think they split that vote. Luckily for Trump, the religious conservatives didn't line up behind one candidate.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 PM

39,504 posts, read 27,870,267 times
Many media networks want you to believe that the risky decision to skip debate actually paid off. I don't think this is reality.

I know the supporters in Orange county here are turned off by Palin endorsement. Many think Trump's reason for skipping the debate is rather childish (Megyn Kelly hasn't treated him fairly. I mean seriously, Trump? can you just let this go already?)

I personally don't think skipping the debate is really that much of a big deal, but Palin endorsement turned me off big time.

All these being said, 2rd place is not going to hurt Trump.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,349,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
He still came in second despite not going to the debate. Jeb Bush went and he sunk, so success of a candidate doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the debates. Fox propaganda.
I don't agree. In Trump's case not doing the debate made him appear petty, vindictive and like he was afraid of Meygn Kelly. And some of the people doing exit polls in Iowa said his backing out swayed their votes away from him.

12,867 posts, read 14,960,667 times
I guess raising money for vets is less important to fox than blowhards lying about all the things they are going to do if they are elected.

I am so over fox news and their pitiful brand of journalism.

13,898 posts, read 6,482,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump had no local organization and lost the ground game. Local organization means making sure your supporters get out to vote. Iowans expect coffee shop type meetings to actually meet the candidates and be wooed, but Trump just did mega events where he spoke at the crowds.
At the end of the day though Iowans saw Trump as a New York huckster trying to buy votes from the "rubes".
Who cares about Iowa, it means nothing at all.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,133,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
I guess raising money for vets is less important to fox than blowhards lying about all the things they are going to do if they are elected.

I am so over fox news and their pitiful brand of journalism.
I think you meant to say using vets for props instead of facing the voters and talking about why they should vote for him. Trump is free to hold fundraisers for vets whenever he wants. How curious that he never felt the urge to do so before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections