Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,995,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I am now in for Rubio. I had defended a number of Republican candidates from Democrat attacks to this point, but was not ever wholly for a specific candidate. Electability is my one and only litmus test.

Rubio is the most electable.

At least one, possibly two, even potentially three SCOTUS justices will be nominated by the next President and confirmed by the next Senate.

Presidents, particularly first term Presidents have coat tails. It is just as important to maintain the Senate majority, even if it cannot be a filibuster proof majority.

Screw every other kind of purity test.

Do you really want a Democrat nominating those justices?
I think a lot of people are going to start seeing things the way you do, if they haven't already.

Rubio crushes Clinton by 10 points in some polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,953,881 times
Rubio- Treble # H1B visas

Cruz- Used to advocate for increasing H1B visas five- fold. Now advocates for putting a 180 day hold on new H1 B visas. Sounds like a political maneuver.

Trump- Sorta vague.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:12 AM

20,141 posts, read 16,274,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Rubio- Treble # H1B visas

Cruz- Used to advocate for increasing H1B visas five- fold. Now advocates for putting a 180 day hold on new H1 B visas. Sounds like a political maneuver.

Trump- Sorta vague.
He just hires them - 1,100 of them.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 AM

37,839 posts, read 41,197,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I haven't seen any adds but it has made the news here in Florida. People here know what it feels like to be betrayed by Rubio. Disney workers here were very vocal on their opinion about having to train their replacements. Any adds in the future would be a good reminder why Rubio would be a puppet for special interest and donors.
Immigration and H-1B is a factor in why Trump does so well against both Jeb and Marco. We have the low brow, knuckle dragging, monkey brains who are concerned more about feelings but those concerned more about good jobs support Trump. Very high numbers here and good organization being built and staffed with volunteers.
It's a winner take all state too and I think there are 99 delegates in play which makes them number three if I remember correctly.
Yes, I remember reading about the Disney workers.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:20 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,258,019 times
I know the other candidates aren't saying anything because of their own donor connections. My question is why Trump isn't driving this matter home with the voters?

He should be naming each and every special interest group, which candidate they back, how much was given to them, and what their motivation is for the country, which is really never in the best interest of Americans.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I know the other candidates aren't saying anything because of their own donor connections. My question is why Trump isn't driving this matter home with the voters?

He should be naming each and every special interest group, which candidate they back, how much was given to them, and what their motivation is for the country, which is really never in the best interest of Americans.
Uhm, not hard at all to know why he doesn't. He is one of the people who has benefitted from it. He has probably been one of those donors in the past. His companies have used 1,100 of those visas. Without companies like his, who seek and hire cheaper immigrants, those H1b visas wouldn't be an issue. Or is this another issue where his followers will dismiss his proven actions as "just good business," so it's fine? The tomato farmers and maid services feel the same way when it comes to hiring illegal immigrants. Trump is the problem.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I haven't seen any adds but it has made the news here in Florida. People here know what it feels like to be betrayed by Rubio. Disney workers here were very vocal on their opinion about having to train their replacements. Any adds in the future would be a good reminder why Rubio would be a puppet for special interest and donors.
Immigration and H-1B is a factor in why Trump does so well against both Jeb and Marco. We have the low brow, knuckle dragging, monkey brains who are concerned more about feelings but those concerned more about good jobs support Trump. Very high numbers here and good organization being built and staffed with volunteers.
It's a winner take all state too and I think there are 99 delegates in play which makes them number three if I remember correctly.
Just what I am saying: blast Rubio and tell us how wonderful Trump is doing. tell us what good jobs Trump will give us and how he is going to handle this? Do you have any idea how many American companies send employees to other countries, taking jobs away from those countries? It works both ways. I know, 3 of my own family members have been EX Pat employees.

My problem and many others has more to do with unqualified, untrained people who come here illegally and take jobs away from our poor or come here and live on our welfare system. If you think Donald has never hired someone from another country you might want to think twice.

For me, it is coming down to who is the most electable more than anything. As mentioned the next President will be nominating supreme court judges for starters. No candidate is perfect, no humans are perfect. I have to find the one that comes the closest to sharing my views even though I know there will be things I do not necessarily agree with.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-03-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 10:41 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,258,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Uhm, not hard at all to know why he doesn't. He is one of the people who has benefitted from it. He has probably been one of those donors in the past. His companies have used 1,100 of those visas. Without companies like his, who seek and hire cheaper immigrants, those H1b visas wouldn't be an issue. Or is this another issue where his followers will dismiss his proven actions as "just good business," so it's fine? The tomato farmers and maid services feel the same way when it comes to hiring illegal immigrants. Trump is the problem.
It's cheaper for companies to hire H1b visa holders. He gets a pass just like any business, however, politicians do not. Politicians are accountable to the citizens here. The entire system needs to be overhauled to make it worthwhile for companies to hire Americans at a livable wage, and stop the influx of cheap labor. The buck stops at the politician.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
It's cheaper for companies to hire H1b visa holders. He gets a pass just like any business, however, politicians do not. Politicians are accountable to the citizens here. The entire system needs to be overhauled to make it worthwhile for companies to hire Americans at a livable wage, and stop the influx of cheap labor. The buck stops at the politician.
Ah.... So this is another issue where there are double standards for Trump. There are businesses that take a bite in the wallet to do the right thing, no law says they have to hire H1b visa holders. As far as I am concerned, no one gets a pass on this when we have oodles of college graduates who aren't even given interviews or employees who have to train their H1b visa replacements. No one. Clearly Trump is not one of those businessmen or politicians who is willing to walk his talk. What a hypocrite. Seriously, the politicians wouldn't be doing it if there weren't greedy, opportunistic businessmen willing to bribe them. They are guilty of the fallout too, just like johns are as guilty as prostitutes.

Bottom line, if he starts yapping about politicians passing bills to allow this then I assure you there will be people exposing his taking advantage of it. That will not sit well with a large portion of the population.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:03 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,185,317 times
I'm a registered Republican, and I'm voting for Trump in the primary, precisely because of this. Yeah he might hire some H1Bs on the sly, but I'd rather have that than a candidate actively seeking to deliberately expand the number of foreigners who can come in and displace Americans three-fold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections