Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Here's how the funding of some of Bernie Sander's policy proposals hold up after the numbers are crunched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfh57GfVYmo
Are you for corporations already getting trillions of "free stuff"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Just think what we could save if we didn't have to spend trillions protecting countries that hate us.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do you think the rest of the world pays for Feng Sui consultants to design and maintain hospital rooms?

How about Flat Screen TV's? On-Demand Movies?

Better guess again.
Germans routinely bring their own linens, food, and personal care items to the hospital with them.

I'm not weighing in at the moment on whether or not this is a good or a bad idea, but it's just one of so many teeny tiny little factors that never seems to come into play when we discuss the differences in quality of care and the cost for it. I am a fan of the quality and comfort of American care, and I just loathe the idea of bare bones care that is routine of other countries, but is not not readily discussed.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Do you think the rest of the world pays for Feng Sui consultants to design and maintain hospital rooms?

How about Flat Screen TV's? On-Demand Movies?

Better guess again.

The American way I guess-no substance, all unnecessary consumerist fluff. It is similar to Colleges today, where the focus is not on education but luxury dorms, diverse meal plans that can be used at restaurants, student game rooms and lounges. These for-profit institutions do these things to separate themselves from the pack in a superficial way.

I'd rather have a comprehensive healthcare system, that does not operate on a for-profit basis than feng sui and jet tubes in birthing suites. What a waste.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
We know how our allies pay for it. Much, much cheaper than the US system. http://www.oecd.org/unitedstates/Bri...TATES-2014.pdf
1) The US subsidizes other countries' health care by paying more for the same pharmaceuticals, diagnostic equipment, etc.

2) Other countries ration health care and deny medical care to the obese, smokers, etc. Can you even imagine telling an American they can't have medical care because they smoke and/or they're obese? That would eliminate a lot of the no/lower-income earners from eligibility for medical care. They have higher obesity rates and are much more likely to be smokers.

Quote:
"...four in five NHS areas are rationing surgery and other treatments for patients with a high body mass index, while almost two in three are refusing to treat smokers."
Most NHS areas refuse surgery for obese patients - Telegraph

Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Congratulations. You have posted a poll proving that poorer Americans overwhelmingly support a socialized healthcare system in which their share of cost is low and their benefit is high. This is not news to anyone, is it? It is only further proof that poorer America wants more stuff, and they don't care if it's the middle class paying for it. Low cost insurance is better than no insurance to those who have none, yet lower-quality insurance at a higher price to those already happy with what they have is an issue not worthy of consideration.

Nor Cal Wahine and PCALMike have officially reached the same stalemate yet again. /end discussion
So in your view? Who is the middle class? Is it the 1%? A very clear majority wants to see a medicare-for-all system and medicare today is overwhelmingly popular (support of about 80%).

Old 02-05-2016, 01:36 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
So in your view? Who is the middle class? Is it the 1%? A very clear majority wants to see a medicare-for-all system and medicare is overwhelmingly popular (support of about 80%).
Sure, Medicare for all. Just pay premiums for a few decades first, then after that you'll be eligible for benefits. Are you good with that?

Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Germans routinely bring their own linens, food, and personal care items to the hospital with them.

I'm not weighing in at the moment on whether or not this is a good or a bad idea, but it's just one of so many teeny tiny little factors that never seems to come into play when we discuss the differences in quality of care and the cost for it. I am a fan of the quality and comfort of American care, and I just loathe the idea of bare bones care that is routine of other countries, but is not not readily discussed.
Go ahead and discuss it. How bad was those foreign hospitals? Did you bring your own food, which by the way might not be a bad idea. My experiences with hospitals have only been in the US. Been to the best, Johns Hopkins for example, and seen some bad ones too where they rolled patients out into the hallways to sleep at night.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:40 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times
Quote:
So in your view? Who is the middle class? Is it the 1%? A very clear majority wants to see a medicare-for-all system and medicare today is overwhelmingly popular (support of about 80%).
You are now 3-for-3 in ignoring the part of the topic that I continue to address which is the part about rationed lower-quality care with long wait times in all the countries that you tout as role models for great healthcare.

I get it - it goes back to the fact that any healthcare is better than no healthcare for poor people, and they don't care who pays for it, as long as they get it. That's why any poll numbers you toss up will reflect that demographic in favor of it. What you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge is how this giveaway affects those who already pay their fair share plus more for the great quality care they already enjoy. You have no problem taking that freedom of choice away from them. It's because you have a giant chip of your shoulder toward higher earners and feel they have a moral responsibility to keep on giving until the poor catch up. This is where you and I disagree and why conversation is futile.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
^Nice try but the poor already have healthcare in the US. Never heard of Medicaid?

This is about affordable healthcare for the middle class and working class American families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections