Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:45 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Here's an observation that I have made in this thread: Sanders fans, much like Trump fans, are overestimating his appeal to the general electorate.
This is about the most realistic and honest assessment I've seen at this forum in weeks.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,631,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This is about the most realistic and honest assessment I've seen at this forum in weeks.
So does the General Electorate going to have a General Electorate Primary on Super Tues?.

We already know that half the population doesn't vote and doesn't care, preferring to spend their time watching football or barbecuing. Fine. People who care will vote on the primaries and try to effect change. The others can enjoy the Super Bowl.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
There is no way Sanders wins in a general election, no matter what polls say today. he is very unpopular with the liberal elites who have money, many from Wall Street. Bloomberg has said he'd run as a third party if Sanders gets the nomination, and he wouldn't pull many votes from Republicans. Sanders cannot win.
Why wouldn't Bloomberg pull any votes from Republicans? Have you seen their selection of candidates?

My brother who works on Wall Street and is a Republican is already planning on voting for Bloomberg even though he has not made the announcement yet.

Do you really see Bernie fans or other Democrats voting for a Billionaire when so much of the debate has been focused on campaign financing and Wall Street/Fed corruption and wealth monopolization?

Sounds like very wishful thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
The electorate actually resonates with Bernie's message and they believe him. I don't think there are many who believe anything Clinton says.
I don't know how anyone could believe her. I do find it funny/ironic to see establishment types from all stripes (even Republicans) come to her defense. Sanders is really scaring these people, and I LOVE IT.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Quote:
Umm, no it's not.
Feel The Bern? New Poll Sees Bernie Sanders Closing Clinton's 30-Point Lead, Defeating Trump By A Landslide

Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
You aren't on the same page as the poster that I was responding to and I. We're commenting that both Sanders AND Trump fans may be over-estimating the overall popularity of their candidates. It wasn't a comparison of one candidate's popularity over the other.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,607,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
So does the General Electorate going to have a General Electorate Primary on Super Tues?.

We already know that half the population doesn't vote and doesn't care, preferring to spend their time watching football or barbecuing. Fine. People who care will vote on the primaries and try to effect change. The others can enjoy the Super Bowl.
Nothing, but it shows how vulnerable Sanders and Trump would both be in a general election. As other people have been saying, Bernie has been getting very little in the way of opposition from potential Republican Presidential candidates. It wouldn't be that difficult to paint him out to be Carl Marx. Republicans have been holding their fire.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
You aren't on the same page as the poster that I was responding to and I. We're commenting that both Sanders AND Trump fans may be over-estimating the overall popularity of their candidates. It wasn't a comparison of one candidate's popularity over the other.
Exactly. When it comes down to it, Trump and Sanders are both exciting a niche of their respective parties, not the plurality of the party.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Exactly. When it comes down to it, Trump and Sanders are both exciting a niche of their respective parties, not the plurality of the party.
It must be more than a niche though. Sanders seems to be controlling the dialogue this election, and Clinton often appears to be cow-towing behind his beliefs and sometimes even directly spouting his words/sayings.

The record breaking campaign contributions tell it all. Trump is odd-I agree he is being given way too much attention considering his support, but that is what he does best. He knows exactly how to work the media.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It must be more than a niche though. Sanders seems to be controlling the dialogue this election, and Clinton often appears to be cow-towing behind his beliefs and sometimes even directly spouting his words/sayings.

The record breaking contributions tell it all.
He's exciting a far-left, very white Liberal portion of the Democratic Party. When it comes down to it, the Democratic Party relies heavily on the support of minorities to win elections. That is a massive pitfall for Sanders.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Quote:
He's exciting a far-left, very white Liberal portion of the Democratic Party. When it comes down to it, the Democratic Party relies heavily on the support of minorities to win elections. That is a massive pitfall for Sanders.
umm, have you seen any pictures of Sanders' rallies recently ?
90%+ white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.