Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:02 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
According to Slate this morning, Bernie just edged HRC out:
Bernie Sanders won the MSNBC debate, narrowly.
I did not see this as a win or lose. This debate was different. It allowed the candidates to expound on the viewpoints and promote their differences. They both did that with respect and civility. Unlike the vapid insult-fest that the Republicans had a week or so ago, anyone watching was treated to an intelligent discussion of issues facing the country. I have always been impressed with Clinton's encyclopedic knowledge, especially in foreign affairs, but the way Sanders comes across with thoughtful, and especially, principled responses was something I had not seen before. It was actually better than watching American Idol which was opposite in our time zone. The Republican debate was not.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:38 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Did they ask her about the big money paid by Goldman Sachs to hear her "speak"?
No, they did not. I wish they would have.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why? What is she going to say that would change minds? This is a just a distraction issue, something to start an argument that has no end. I can decide or myself how that influences my vote. I am sick of all this fighting around the edges and arguing about Cruz' cheating or if Hillary is a real progressive of not. Forget the red meat remarks for the partisans. What I want to know is what policies these candidates embrace.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Huh? Yes, they asked her, and she said she hadn't done a clear enough job of explaining what had happened and what she had spoken about and gave a very brief summary of the kinds of remarks she made. Then she was asked if she would produce the transcripts of these speeches she made, not just for banks but for other institutions and groups.

I'm not sure she will actually be able to do that - depends on the contracts she signed and whether they allow her to share this work that she got paid for. Based on how the contract was written, the institution that paid for the speech might have the right to limit dissemination of the content.

Personally, I hope that she is able to release transcripts because I suspect that puts a lot of this to rest. I mean, honestly, even if she was taking kickbacks to influence policy - which I personally don't believe occurred, not to mention is a much too simplistic assessment of how things work - she's not going to stand up in front of a few thousand people and discuss detailed quid pro quo.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,635,538 times
Default Bernie clear winner of NH Debate - Washington Post

An interesting take on the debates by the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ways-than-one/

"But none of that matters once you get to No. 4. The fourth-most-Googled question ab fourth-most-Googled question about Bernie Sanders is how can I give him money.

Sanders has more than 3 million individual contributions from more than a million donors. He's taken in money at a faster pace than Barack Obama did in 2008 and in January outraised Clinton. Getting a voter to try and figure out how to give is a dream come true for any campaign. Having it trend on Google? Insane."

Bernie also now is tied with Clinton in the latest national poll (may be just an outlier) and is ahead in one to ones against Republican potential nominees.

Poll: Bernie Sanders ties Hillary Clinton - Business Insider

Go Bernie!

Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,545,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
An interesting take on the debates by the Washington Post.
An opinion piece written by ultra-liberal, pro-Sanders columnist Philip Bump. He had to resort to silly google questions to try defend what was at best a lackluster performance by Sanders.

Here's a more insightful take by Washington Post National Political Correspondent James Hohmann:
Bernie Sanders Trips Up on Foreign Policy during Democratic Debate
Quote:
Bernie Sanders sounded out of his depth on foreign policy during his first mano-a-mano debate with Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire last night.
Quote:
Clinton is the most trusted 2016 candidate on terrorism, according to Washington Post polling.
Quote:
According to Twitter, foreign affairs and national security were the most buzzed about topics during the debate.
At times during that exchange, I wondered if I was listening to Sanders or to Sarah Palin:
Quote:
Pressed by Todd to rank North Korea, Iran and Russia in terms of which poses the greatest threat to the United States, he offered a meandering and confusing answer.

“ISIS,” he replied. “ISIS would be.”

“I didn’t say that,” Todd replied. “We already had that. I'm talking about these three countries.”

Sanders then picked North Korea: “Clearly North Korea is a very strange situation because it is such an isolated country run by a handful of dictators, or maybe just one, who seems to be somewhat paranoid. And, who had nuclear weapons. And, our goal there, in my view, is to work and … to do everything we can to put pressure on China.”

Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
An opinion piece written by ultra-liberal, pro-Sanders columnist Philip Bump. He had to resort to silly google questions to try defend what was at best a lackluster performance by Sanders.

Here's a more insightful take by Washington Post National Political Correspondent James Hohmann:
Bernie Sanders Trips Up on Foreign Policy during Democratic Debate

At times during that exchange, I wondered if I was listening to Sanders or to Sarah Palin:
Bernie's message is really resonating and basically the message is that Wall Street's business model is based upon fraud and Clinton is tethered to Wall Street. She's in big trouble and she knows it. Of course, there establishment wants business as usual. They've been long ago bought off by stock market bribes

Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times
OP's thread title is just a wee bit misleading as well, if one is to actually read the accompanying article.

"In that regard, Bernie Sanders eked out a narrow victory, getting more search attention both nationally and in New Hampshire, where it counts ahead of Tuesday's primary."

That's not exactly the same as a "clear debate victory".

Old 02-05-2016, 09:09 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,545,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Bernie's message is really resonating and basically the message is that Wall Street's business model is based upon fraud and Clinton is tethered to Wall Street. She's in big trouble and she knows it. Of course, there establishment wants business as usual. They've been long ago bought off by stock market bribes
Ariana Huffington on Twitter:
Quote:
.@BernieSanders to moderators during break: Let’s go back to Wall St.; @HillaryClinton: Let’s go back to foreign policy.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
OP's thread title is just a wee bit misleading as well, if one is to actually read the accompanying article.

"In that regard, Bernie Sanders eked out a narrow victory, getting more search attention both nationally and in New Hampshire, where it counts ahead of Tuesday's primary."

That's not exactly the same as a "clear debate victory".
This is the writer's conclusion, which I agree is on point:

" But there's no greater victory for a campaign than getting a voter to take action. In that regard, Sanders won by a mile."

There is no passion for Clinton. She is a loser and will lose the Presidential contest if nominated. The electorate doesn't want another Establishment candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections