Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:52 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,286,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Society's views of women has changed, in part due to her. She has never represented the views of all women. She is a fighter and she wants to stay relevant. She doesn't give women enough credit. Women are capable of thinking for themselves. I'm not sure why women are choosing Bernie. It isn't because of men. Hillary is a nasty witch and that is why many women (and men) will not vote for her. Most of us would prefer to pick the best person for the job rather than voting for someone just because she is a woman.
I truly hope you are right, but I fear you are not. The guy in the White House is there because he is black. There is no reason ANYONE should have voted for him based on his accomplishments, because he had none. He never should have even won the Democrat primary against Clinton or Biden. Many of the people who voted color then will vote gender now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:02 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Society's views of women has changed, in part due to her. She has never represented the views of all women. She is a fighter and she wants to stay relevant. She doesn't give women enough credit. Women are capable of thinking for themselves. I'm not sure why women are choosing Bernie. It isn't because of men. Hillary is a nasty witch and that is why many women (and men) will not vote for her. Most of us would prefer to pick the best person for the job rather than voting for someone just because she is a woman.
She never even represented the views of all feminists at the time. Gloria Steinem was the leader of "men suck, we don't need them" wing of second-wave feminism. Actually, her quote was: "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."

Betty Friedan, OTOH, was in the "men and women are different, but society needs both" wing. That line of thought is why (which is why Germaine Greer is currently in hot water with new-wave feminists over her comment that anyone named "Woman of the Year" ought to really be a woman).

A lot of women back Sanders because of his commitment to supporting social support, which Clinton is soft on. More women are personally concerned about achieving national health care (for themselves, for parents, for children) than gun control.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 02-07-2016 at 07:45 AM..

Old 02-07-2016, 07:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
As far as I'm concerned, she worked for our rights so women could have a choice in what they did. My mom chose to be a stay-at-home mother and never work while she was married. Gloria Steinem chose to be a Playboy bunny. The point is, because of women like her, I have the choice to be either a SAHM or a Playboy bunny OR something other than a housewife or a Playboy bunny.
We have no dispute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Gloria did not seek out being a playboy bunny for a career choice, she went undercover to write an article.
I'm very well aware of that.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,303,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I truly hope you are right, but I fear you are not. The guy in the White House is there because he is black. There is no reason ANYONE should have voted for him based on his accomplishments, because he had none. He never should have even won the Democrat primary against Clinton or Biden. Many of the people who voted color then will vote gender now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
She never even represented the views of all feminists at the time. Gloria Steinem was the leader of "men suck, we don't need them" wing of second-wave feminism. Actually, her quote was: "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."

Betty Friedan, OTOH, was in the "men and women are different, but society needs both" wing. That line of thought is why (which is why Germaine Greer is currently in hot water with new-wave feminists over her comment that anyone named "Woman of the Year" ought to really be a woman).

A lot of women back Sanders because of his commitment to supporting social support, which Clinton is soft on. More women are personally concerned about achieving national health care (for themselves, for parents, for children) than gun control.
I don't disagree with you. I'm seeing a lot of women I know that would have voted for Hillary at one time now voting against her because they finally realize she is so awful. They aren't all voting for Bernie. The only other woman to vote for is Carly Fiorina. She isn't as attention seeking. You are right on Obama. I lived in Oklahoma at the time of his elections. I honestly can't think of anyone I knew who openly supported him there. You rarely even saw an Obama bumper sticker. I knew a few people in other states. They voted for that hope and change.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,739,557 times
Let me guess: she supports Clinton?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:23 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,940,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So? The future is made up of what happened in the past.

Younger people shouldn't know what battles and sacrifices occurred to get them what they have today?

Gay and lesbians need to know about Stonewall. The people who go before you.

Most women under 30 couldn't tell you the name of their state senator and think we fought against Hawaii during WW2 if you asked them. But they can tell you all about "Keeping up with the Kardashians".

How foolish to think that things are only relevant if they happened in the last few years.
As a mom of two in the 20 - 30 range and knowing each circles of friends, the history of these ladies may grab their attention in a meme of some sort, or perhaps as part of a film project. I'm not saying they shouldn't know about these ladies, but the comments these ladies make will not influence young adults of today. (Ergo, their relevance in their lives). These kids (<30) are shocked that women were never treated as equals, just as they are shocked by the civil rights movement and the GBL movement. Our kids are color - sex - sexual preference blind. They will achieve what my generation sought, and they may give a nod to the past, but they will relish their choices and not look back.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
OMG, that hen.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:41 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,657,194 times
Life must be easy if you exist in a single dimension hitting the same note repeatedly. Boring, but easy.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:09 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I see you have a strong belief that anyone with dark skin can't form their own decision.

Did you vote for Romney because he was white? Must be.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:02 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,948,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterwoes View Post
Gloria Steinem: Young women back Bernie Sanders so they can meet 'boys' - CNNPolitics.com

What a loon. As a woman it's embarrassing to think women still look up to this old hag. Can she just go away?
Steinem is obviously a Hillary supporter. By definition, she would have to be. Unfortunately for Steinem (and perhaps Hillary), her comments back-fired on her because she is flat out wrong. The young people who are working for Bernie are pretty passionate about Bernie. Some may become passionate about one another if they meet at a Bernie rally or whatever, but to imply that young women are using him as an alternative to hooking up with someone in the bar scene is simply poor form. Steinem should know better.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 02-07-2016 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections