Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,328,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterwoes View Post
Gloria Steinem: Young women back Bernie Sanders so they can meet 'boys' - CNNPolitics.com

What a loon. As a woman it's embarrassing to think women still look up to this old hag. Can she just go away?
So, she's no longer attractive in your opinion and she made an obvious gaffe, so she needs to "go away"? I judge people by what they stand for over their careers, not by whether or not they have become "old hags." If I only agreed with MEN who are physically attractive, who on earth would I EVER vote for?

I'm not quite as old as Ms. Steinem, but I've been a feminist for decades. I'd be willing to bet far more years than you've been alive, Sisterwoes. And I abhor what she said on that television program. As a Bernie Sanders supporter I think there are plenty of policy reasons to choose him over Secretary Clinton. And I certainly didn't come to that position because a male told me to. So I doubt if young women are merely following "boys" if they support Sen. Sanders. I know I had informed political opinions when I was a teenager and I'm sure it's still possible for young people to have them today.

If Ms. Steinem disagrees with me, she has that right. I certainly can understand it if her zeal to have a woman president overrides all her other concerns. There are certainly many white men, for instance, who would support a white male candidate over all others. But I do think her comment was sexist and ageist and she definitely should apologize for insulting a large segment of Sen. Sanders' supporters in such a thoughtless way.

Similarly, you, Sisterwoes, should apologize for the ageist and rude comments you just made about a distinguished and influential citizen who has a history of important achievements on her resume. Is there any trite label as mean as "old hag" to slap on a formerly handsome man who has passed his 80th birthday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 03:30 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterwoes View Post
Gloria Steinem: Young women back Bernie Sanders so they can meet 'boys' - CNNPolitics.com

What a loon. As a woman it's embarrassing to think women still look up to this old hag. Can she just go away?

I find that insulting. Both my daughter (18) and myself, support Bernie. I do not vote for people because we share the same gender, race, or religion. I vote for people with whom I agree.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:00 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
She doesn't resonate with younger women either, most of the more radical feminists do not. Women my age (30) grew up in a different time largely as equals. Most people my age see her not as an egalitarian but as an antonym to patriarchy. We don't really have a word for that. I mean, if you're just talking about patriarchy meaning fatherly then yes, we have matriarchy. But that's not what anyone means when they say patriarchy. They mean a society ruled by men where men are in a role of superiors to women. We don't exactly have word for it. The closest actual word is feminist which doesn't necessarily mean that at all but is also why most younger women especially do not identify as feminist. Rather they're egalitarians, which is not what Gloria Steinem is. She's a feminist in the sense that she's it's the antonym to patriarchy and male chauvinism, which doesn't resonate with younger women. They grew up in a world that is much more egalitarian. Not perfectly, but more so. It's not an alien concept to them that a man could (and actually should, and often times do) better represent their interests than a woman could. It's not because they think men are superior to women. It's that an individual man versus an individual woman. They're able to consider that possibility without much of a hangup whereas that's very hard for Steinem. Partly that's the divergent interests. Most younger women don't want an anti-patriarchal society where women rule society over subservient men. They just want to be treated more equally. They don't even want to be treated as men, just accepted more equally as women.
Extremely well said.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:05 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,683,144 times
This absolute nonsense, not that supporting Bernie Sanders is wrong. It's great, Hillary Clinton is an opportunistic snake, and also this is one more reason to join and support the Sanders campaign. The world is better off with more girls flocking to meet boys.

That being said this hag is talking nonsense. Sanders is the superior candidate and many women are smart to not vote with their vaginas.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:29 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,449,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
She doesn't resonate with younger women either, most of the more radical feminists do not. Women my age (30) grew up in a different time largely as equals. Most people my age see her not as an egalitarian but as an antonym to patriarchy. We don't really have a word for that. I mean, if you're just talking about patriarchy meaning fatherly then yes, we have matriarchy. But that's not what anyone means when they say patriarchy. They mean a society ruled by men where men are in a role of superiors to women. We don't exactly have word for it. The closest actual word is feminist which doesn't necessarily mean that at all but is also why most younger women especially do not identify as feminist. Rather they're egalitarians, which is not what Gloria Steinem is. She's a feminist in the sense that she's it's the antonym to patriarchy and male chauvinism, which doesn't resonate with younger women. They grew up in a world that is much more egalitarian. Not perfectly, but more so. It's not an alien concept to them that a man could (and actually should, and often times do) better represent their interests than a woman could. It's not because they think men are superior to women. It's that an individual man versus an individual woman. They're able to consider that possibility without much of a hangup whereas that's very hard for Steinem. Partly that's the divergent interests. Most younger women don't want an anti-patriarchal society where women rule society over subservient men. They just want to be treated more equally. They don't even want to be treated as men, just accepted more equally as women.
Its great you've put some thought into your position, but you need to rethink it because your logic is flawed and a bit naïve.

Also, you do realize that the world you grew up in did not just magically appear, don't you? You grew up in that world because women like Gloria Steinem and many other nameless/faceless American women(and men) fought for that world.....possibly including your own mother. They were still fighting for it the day you were born and for much of your childhood when you were likely sheltered from the many harsh realities of working women. It hasn't been that long ago.........so, I'm glad you grew up not knowing or believing in anything other than equality between women and men. But, by the same token it wouldn't hurt you to show some appreciation for the effort that went into the world you now enjoy.

Back to your logic........most of the policies that feminists of Gloria Steinem's generation as well as the generation that followed her benefit men as well as women. Most rational men are happy to live in a world where their wive's can earn as much as they do and the burden is not all on them to support their families.

Further, Gloria supported Bernie in a Vermont race against a Republican woman. And, additionally, she spent most of her life working with and supporting men she believed furthered the cause of gender equality. So, I wouldn't say it was hard for her to see where men could further her interests.

I'm sure you can take it to the bank that if Bernie pulls out the democratic nomination she will be supporting him. Just like she initially supported Hillary and then supported Obama the first time he was elected. Get real if she was only supporting women, she would have supported McCain to put Palin a heartbeat away from the presidency. Instead, she called her an "unqualified" woman.

Still, I can understand why young women supporting Bernie galls her lol. Bernie is like the ultimate Sugar Daddy, pomising freebies as fast as he can dream them up. Basically, cradle to grave support from Big Daddy. As anyone who opts to be arm candy for a Sugar Daddy knows, there is always a price to be paid. With Bernie, it will be massive tax hikes across the board. If Gloria has a failing, its either not recognizing or not acknowledging that.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:24 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,450,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Absolutely. I will never forget her story about working as a playboy bunny waitress. She has worked tirelessly for the rights of women .
Right. And this paragon of virtue told the world after one of bubba's escapades that getting a 'feel for free'
was okay as long as the guy stopped if the woman said no. Yeah, "rights of women".

El Nox

Old 02-07-2016, 06:33 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,875,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The irony of Steinem's views is that voting for Clinton because she is a woman is sexism...the very thing she was fighting against.
I agree and I'm a woman. It's ridiculous to vote for someone based on their gender, race, etc.. It would scare me if someone chose her for this reason.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:58 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,284,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I see you have a strong belief that anyone with dark skin can't form their own decision.

Did you vote for Romney because he was white? Must be.
Nice try slick. Like most liberals, you probably hate numbers and facts; they really screw up a good arguement. Here we go anyway.

Obama won 95% of the black vote in 2008. Now, since Kerry got 88% in 2004, you could obviously conclude that blacks overwhelming vote democrat, regardless of color. Doesn't seem to be a lot of individual decision making here, just a group mindset based on ideology.(some would say based on who will promise the most free stuff, or so I've heard&#128521.
Never in our election history did any one demographic vote in such a large percentage for a presidential candidate.

Now, in the 2008 Democrat primary, when it was down to Obama and Hillary, Obama still got 85% of the black vote. At this point, ideology is not as much of a factor, since, as we can see today, Hillary has a lot of black support.
So, to what do you attribute such a difference in this case? Did 85% of blacks think Obama had more experience than Hillary?
Based on length of Senate service, and her 8 yrs as First Lady, that arguement has no factual support.
Of the original 4 primary candidates, They all had at least twice as much time in the senate then he did.

Can blacks form their own decisions? When it comes to Obama, the numbers say no. They vote his race, and anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty would admit it.

I did indeed vote for Romney, as I would have ANY Republican candidate. I will vote for the Republican candidate this election, be it Carson, Fiorina, Trump etc.
I despise liberalism and the leftist agenda, so I equally reject Clinton, Sanders and Obama.

Sorry Ace, I'm not the bigot here. Look in the mirror.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:05 PM

31,083 posts, read 22,113,652 times
Sure, why not

Old 02-07-2016, 07:11 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,571,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Nice try slick. Like most liberals, you probably hate numbers and facts; they really screw up a good arguement. Here we go anyway.

Obama won 95% of the black vote in 2008. Now, since Kerry got 88% in 2004, you could obviously conclude that blacks overwhelming vote democrat, regardless of color. Doesn't seem to be a lot of individual decision making here, just a group mindset based on ideology.(some would say based on who will promise the most free stuff, or so I've heard&#128521.
Never in our election history did any one demographic vote in such a large percentage for a presidential candidate.

Now, in the 2008 Democrat primary, when it was down to Obama and Hillary, Obama still got 85% of the black vote. At this point, ideology is not as much of a factor, since, as we can see today, Hillary has a lot of black support.
So, to what do you attribute such a difference in this case? Did 85% of blacks think Obama had more experience than Hillary?
Based on length of Senate service, and her 8 yrs as First Lady, that arguement has no factual support.
Of the original 4 primary candidates, They all had at least twice as much time in the senate then he did.

Can blacks form their own decisions? When it comes to Obama, the numbers say no. They vote his race, and anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty would admit it.

I did indeed vote for Romney, as I would have ANY Republican candidate. I will vote for the Republican candidate this election, be it Carson, Fiorina, Trump etc.
I despise liberalism and the leftist agenda, so I equally reject Clinton, Sanders and Obama.

Sorry Ace, I'm not the bigot here. Look in the mirror.
Interesting. Cons scoff if blacks don't vote & they scoff when they do vote. Tell me, what would you say if blacks vote for a republican candidate? Right, as I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections