Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 PM

7,729 posts, read 8,827,175 times

Advertisements

I've heard quite a few people around me who only care the party they favor wins the election in the end, no matter which individual. So, for example, they have almost no opinion about Sanders and Clinton, except that they think Clinton would be better in beating GOP (Trump, in particular). The only things that mean anything to them is: whether Sanders is "electable". They don't give a damn what Sanders or Clinton stands for.

I know a married couple in their early 70s, who are diehard democrats and always vote for dem. candidates all their lives. This year, the wife is all for Sanders, while the hubby just wants to make sure not to let the Republicans win. So the hubby disagrees with his wife about Sanders, because he thinks Sanders will not have enough votes to beat GOP candidates.

Now that it looks like Sanders is getting enormous support, the hubby is watching, and waiting for the Super Tuesday result, I think, and then figure out which way to go to have a better chance to beat GOP.

I know a few more people with the same mindset as that hubby.

If voters all vote based on who they think can win, rather than what each candidate stands for, there will never be real change in this country.

Last edited by snowmountains; 02-10-2016 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,372,035 times
I agree. It's a "sports fan" mentality.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,589,065 times
Can't speak for everywhere, but here in Texas polls show it's Republicans who tend to pull the straight party lever.

I tend to vote Democratic in national elections because long experience has convinced me that when you vote for the candidate, you get the party. In 40+ years of following politics, I've never seen a single President, Senator, or Congressman go against his/her party. That might not be true for other states but it certainly is for Texas.
I've sometimes supported 3rd party (usually Libertarian) candidates with monetary and time donations because I liked their platform but just couldn't bring myself to waste my vote on their losing cause.
At the state and local levels, this is not the case so I never pull the straight-party lever or mark the straight-party bubble. I frequently vote Republican in local races and occasionally do so in state races.
So I go against the OP's attempt at stereotyping.
OP, what is your state and what is its record for Presidents, Senators, and Congressmen who buck their parties?

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-10-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 08:39 AM

50,568 posts, read 64,584,257 times
It is fascinating to me how a group of people can see the same facts, and the same cause and effects, and one thinks the Democrats are right, and others think the Republicans are right. I wonder if it is in our genes, like some people love cruciferous vegetables and others do not.

Each party has core beliefs that should be every voter's first priority. This is why informed voters tend to vote a straight ticket. Low information voters tend to vote for candidates for the wrong reasons. IMO, younger voters are more guilty of this. They take one issue and vote a certain way because of "feelings". Some voters are still doing that decades later.

I know a woman, who has a gay son. She has been married to Plymouth Rock for 40 years, so has never been either poor or oppressed. She could not care less about paying more taxes, because she'd never miss the money. All she cares about is that Hillary Clinton is a woman, and the false assumption that all Republicans are against gay people. I've pretty much lost all respect for her.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,648,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I've heard quite a few people around me who only care the party they favor wins the election in the end, no matter which individual. So, for example, they have almost no opinion about Sanders and Clinton, except that they think Clinton would be better in beating GOP (Trump, in particular). The only things that mean anything to them is: whether Sanders is "electable". They don't give a damn what Sanders or Clinton stands for.

I know a married couple in their early 70s, who are diehard democrats and always vote for dem. candidates all their lives. This year, the wife is all for Sanders, while the hubby just wants to make sure not to let the Republicans win. So the hubby disagrees with his wife about Sanders, because he thinks Sanders will not have enough votes to beat GOP candidates.

Now that it looks like Sanders is getting enormous support, the hubby is watching, and waiting for the Super Tuesday result, I think, and then figure out which way to go to have a better chance to beat GOP.

I know a few more people with the same mindset as that hubby.

If voters all vote based on who they think can win, rather than what each candidate stands for, there will never be real change in this country.
I could care LESS about party. However, the candidates that most align with MY concerns and MY hopes for the future - are usually Democratic.

There is not one Republican this go-round I could see myself voting for ESPECIALLY if it's Trump or Cruz.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

I will do whatever is necessary to prevent Trump or Cruz from winning the office because I think they are bad for America.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:05 AM

4,268 posts, read 3,814,328 times
I wrote this in another thread but I thought it was fitting for this one too...

The problem with this country is that the Democratic and Republican parties have divided the nation. You hear someone say they are a Republican or a Democrat and there is already a stereotype of the type of person they are. Im guilty of it too. When I was much younger I saw the candidates as regular people with ideas and I was willing to listen to them all. Unfortunately, even though some may have great ideas I don't want to hear anything they have to say and I tune them out now just based on the party they are affiliated with. I wish that people ran as individuals rather than a certain party as there would be a lot less divide.

Instead of voting for a person people feel is the most qualified candidate many tend to vote based on the party they are affiliated with, even if you don't like that candidate just to beat the other party. Voting should not be a strategically vote for people so others wont win, it is to vote for your personal choice based on research on who you would feel would make the best candidate. People say how corrupt politics are, well the corruptness of the system starts right here with the voters if this is how people are placing their votes. If you don't do your research or have an intelligent vote based on that research you have no business voting. I personally think the voting age should be raised. My political view has greatly changed over the years based on life experiences and I look back and think of the choices I would have made as a young adult and how they would have been based on the wrong criteria.

To live in a country where we can vote is an amazing thing. I don't get excited about it though, I don't feel guilty if I don't vote, I just want to vote and be done with it and may the best person win. In my opinion, I don't think the problem with the country are those that don't vote, the problem with this country are those that make uneducated votes. Voting is for the most qualified candidate, not for who you think has the best chance or so the other party doesn't get the vote, etc.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 AM

7,729 posts, read 8,827,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
i wrote this....
+10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections