Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of one of Trumps plans for Mexico to pay for the wall
YES 46 62.16%
NO 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,973,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Well, we already have a wall in Arizona, at least on the parts of the border that I visit.

What really bothers me about a bigger wall more than anything is the effect on wildlife. We are just beginning to see the return of jaguars in Arizona from Sonora, Mexico. Google, "jaguars santa rita mountains." If the wall is beefed up, it will prevent jaguars, Mexican wolves, etc. from migrating. People, of course, will still figure out a way through. They are immigrating illegally from Asia, for crying out loud. The wall won't do much.
That is indeed another obstacle beyond the engineering obstacles -- the legal challenges tying Mr. Trump's plan up in court for years. It's another reason the wall isn't a "given."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
No, the wall is not a "given."
Congress has already authorized its construction.
Quote:
On the other hand, human beings have built a 2,000-mile-long frontier wall exactly one time. Once. And it was accomplished only through a centuries-long building campaign that necessitated the forced labor of millions of Chinese peasants.
wrong

North and south korea has a wall
Russia has one with norway finland, china and n korea
greece and turkey has a wall

and many, many other countries do already
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_barrier

stop posting wrong information..

Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,293,486 times
Is he going to use his visa method of importing cheap labor to build it? Or illegal immigrants like those he has hired in his other ventures? That will save him some money. Oh wait--he can round up those 12 million undocumented people he plans to deport and use them!

I thought I'd due a crude cost. According to this site, Structural Concrete costs $732.52 per cubic yard. The project will take 12,600,000 cubic yards of concrete at a cost of $9,229,752,000. That's $9.2 billion just for the concrete.

Of course, the $732.52 estimate is based on structural concrete used in populated areas. The estimate to construct in the wilderness away from roads and population centers... who knows?

11,181 posts, read 10,550,174 times
[quote=unwillingphoenician;43154787]
What really bothers me about a bigger wall more than anything is the effect on wildlife. /QUOTE]
Quote:
That is indeed another obstacle beyond the engineering obstacles -- the legal challenges tying Mr. Trump's plan up in court for years.
Yep. Landowners, ranchers, hunters, and environmentalists are solidly together on this issue.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:12 AM

13,699 posts, read 9,032,426 times
Quote:
No, the wall is not a "given."

An Engineer Explains Why Trump's Wall Is So Implausible
Snippet:
An excellent article that I recommend.

The author noted, in brief passing at the end, about additional problems, not the least of which would be obtaining the land for such a wall, especially here in Texas where much of the borderland is privately owned by ranchers. They may be a conservative bunch, but they do not want their land taken for such a wall, or even having a wall (strangely enough, in many areas the Rio Grande is a source of water for the ranchers).

Plus, the wall could not be literally on the Rio Grande, but it would have to be set back; I have read estimates of one mile to five miles back from the border (for various reasons). Do we simply grant that land between the river and the wall to Mexico?

This wall silliness is only cited by Mr. Trump to appeal to those he loves best, the less educated.

By the by: Mr. Trump will be speaking in a few minutes at the Tarrant County Convention Center, just steps away from my office (Federal building). I guess he will have a nice crowd of the unemployed and lazy attending.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:13 AM

29,609 posts, read 16,598,076 times
Quote:
"The Wall" is now a given. The only question is who pays for it.

The Lannisters or the Tyrells.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Congress has already authorized its construction.

wrong

North and south korea has a wall
Russia has one with norway finland, china and n korea
greece and turkey has a wall

and many, many other countries do already
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_barrier

stop posting wrong information..
Reading comprehension is a useful skill. I have a wall in the back of my house. That doesn't count either.

Trump was saying he was going to build a wall 2,000 miles long. There is only one wall ever built that was 2,000 miles long. It took slave labor and over a hundred years to build.

The Congressional authorization, I presume you mean (since you gave no detail) was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006. It doesn't provide the funding or the scale that Trump is describing.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:18 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times
Quote:
I thought I'd due a crude cost. According to this site, Structural Concrete costs $732.52 per cubic yard. The project will take 12,600,000 cubic yards of concrete at a cost of $9,229,752,000. That's $9.2 billion just for the concrete.

Of course, the $732.52 estimate is based on structural concrete used in populated areas. The estimate to construct in the wilderness away from roads and population centers... who knows?
And it costs what to educate, house, feed, and even provide free medical care?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:20 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,407,085 times
Quote:

In this area concrete runs a smidge over 90$ a yard. I don't have a clue why concrete would cost over 700$
However -- you don't really need a concrete wall everywhere. In the most remote areas what you really need are tall poles (like utility poles along the highway) every quarter mile with surveillance cameras with both daytime and nightime spectra and people monitoring the cameras with the ability to call Border Patrol agents into GPS coordinates to pick up people trying to cross over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections