Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of one of Trumps plans for Mexico to pay for the wall
YES 46 62.16%
NO 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Excellent summary of why the wall is such a ridiculous proposition. But it will fall on deaf ears. Trump fans don't deal well with reality. They, like the OP, are true believers--or perhaps suckers is a more apt description. You've got to wonder how they're bright enough to dress themselves in the morning.
I am sure some of the Trump supporters are honest, hard working, very bright and have deep feelings. Unfortunately there are a few on here who can't even be reasoned with. He has convinced them he can do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 03:07 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,221,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
nmnita can answer for herself, but I'll also take a stab at it.

First, the political will to build the wall isn't there. As has been discussed countless times, lots of people with lots of money count on the flow of illegal immigrant labor to run their businesses. They will use their money to discourage Congress from approving or funding a wall. Trump has zero political capital because he's never done anything for anyone but himself. If he's elected, he won't be a King or an Emperor who can order his slaves to build a wall. He'll need a political consensus.

If Congress authorized the building of the wall, a lot of the land on which the wall would be built is held by private individuals. The federal government would have to file countless eminent domain law suits which could potentially be tied up in court for years. Many local people don't want the wall. The Rio Grande is a water source for wildlife as well as some farm animals and lots of people do not want to restrict access to the water. Expect lawsuits from environmental groups and individuals who depend on the river, all of which could also last for years. Trump would most likely be out of office before the building of the actual wall could go forward.

If you got past those hurdles, the logistics of building a wall that could not be tunneled under or crawled over are significant and would be extremely costly. If you've never been to the area, you may not have a good idea of what would be involved.

And if all of those obstacles could be surmounted, you can forget getting Mexico to pay for it. Trump would face the same opposition from business people described above.

That wall is NOT going to be built and Trump knows it. But he's a con man so he's happy to tell you what you want to hear to get your vote.
First, I don't think any business owner who employs illegals is a big enough player to go to Congress pleading to keep their illegals when clearly it's against the law. As for Mexico paying for it, it can be done indirectly via import tariffs on Mexican goods, direct payments, or some other TBS method.

Eminent domain issues always arise in the building of interstates and government projects, so I don't see any reason why the wall would be any different. As far as where the wall is situated, the possibility exists that the wall wouldn't be right next to the Rio Grande. The wall could be far enough away not to affect wildlife and environmental concerns regarding the river.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,801,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Interesting---You acknowledge that "the political will" isn't there to build the wall. Then you acknowledge that people who hire illegals "use their money to discourage Congress from approving the wall". At the same time, you will gladly continue to vote for politicians who are in the pockets of their mega-rich donors and as a result, put said donors ahead of their constituents.

I'm sure you are also one of the ones who when nothing of substance gets done in the house or senate, point fingers at the other side and blame them. Do you not realize that both sides are feeding at the trough and as a result, put on an elaborate show pretending to care about their constituents all the while pointing fingers at one another?

I know that I want the whole rotten corrupt system to come to an end. Only Trump, and to some extent, Bernie, are talking about putting an end to the corruption. For the sake of our descendants, the whole rotten corrupt system needs to end. Period.
Nothing you have said contradicts the reasons I gave for why Trump's wall will never be built. That's the topic of this thread.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:23 PM

22,596 posts, read 12,168,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
None of which, of course, has anything whatsoever to do with the ridiculous impracticability of building a wall.
Of course it does. You are evading the question. If I had to guess, you do lock your door because you know darn well what will happen if you don't. Why won't you answer the question?

So, apparently, you think it's okay to leave the border wide open---never mind that not everybody sneaking across the border just wants to work. There are plenty who sneak in to do us harm.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Nothing you have said contradicts the reasons I gave for why Trump's wall will never be built. That's the topic of this thread.
So, you are admitting that you think the current rotten corrupt system is okay with you? And that it should continue?

Of course I know the topic of this thread. I was addressing the topic when I responded to your post. In other words, since you didn't figure out what I was saying, the wall will be built because people are fed up with our borders being unprotected and unlike you, they are fed up with the whole, rotten corrupt system---you know, the whole system that is fine with you.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:30 PM

27,409 posts, read 15,525,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I am not so sure that many regular, normal humans would be swayed by a handful of "fat Messican kids" (ironically, they are very likely Americans) angry at all the stuff Trump has said since June.

Mick

Anti-American rhetoric is anti-American rhetoric.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
First, I don't think any business owner who employs illegals is a big enough player to go to Congress pleading to keep their illegals when clearly it's against the law.

Are you nuts? You don't think agri-business, the oil and gas industry, mining and the hospitality industry are big enough players to go to the congress people in their districts and explain that if 12 million illegal immigrants are deported that they'll go out of business? Who do you think hires all these people?

As for Mexico paying for it, it can be done indirectly via import tariffs on Mexican goods, direct payments, or some other TBS method.

How? Explain how it will work or you're just blowing smoke. If Trump has explained it, copy and paste what he has said. And if you're going to talk about intercepting payments to Mexico, explain how that's going to happen. Is he going to ask Congress to do it? They won't. Is he going to do it by executive order? If so, how is that going to work?.

Eminent domain issues always arise in the building of interstates and government projects, so I don't see any reason why the wall would be any different. As far as where the wall is situated, the possibility exists that the wall wouldn't be right next to the Rio Grande. The wall could be far enough away not to affect wildlife and environmental concerns regarding the river.

It could happen by imminent domain, but it will take years.

How far away do you want the wall situated? Do you want it to run through downtown Brownsville? Weslaco? Hidalgo? McAllen? Laredo? El Paso? Or is it going to be on the other side of those cities? Is it going to cross all the roads and highways that run North and South? If so, it's going to have a lot of holes in it.

When my daughter was little, every time something broke, no matter what it was, her answer was to tape it. That's what the "build a wall" people remind me of. Spouting a very simple solution to a complex problem that has astoundingly little chance of success.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
So, you are admitting that you think the current rotten corrupt system is okay with you? And that it should continue?

Of course I know the topic of this thread. I was addressing the topic when I responded to your post. In other words, since you didn't figure out what I was saying, the wall will be built because people are fed up with our borders being unprotected and unlike you, they are fed up with the whole, rotten corrupt system---you know, the whole system that is fine with you.
No, you weren't addressing the topic of this thread at all, which is that Trump will win this election (highly doubtful) and that he will build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

I listed all the reasons that will not happen and your response is to accuse me of ... something. I'm not even sure what.

But anyway, just because you really, really, really want what Trump is saying to be true doesn't make it true. You're ignoring political, economic and geographic realities because you think Trump can magically wave them away.

You're going to be disappointed.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No, you weren't addressing the topic of this thread at all, which is that Trump will win this election (highly doubtful) and that he will build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

I listed all the reasons that will not happen and your response is to accuse me of ... something. I'm not even sure what.

But anyway, just because you really, really, really want what Trump is saying to be true doesn't make it true. You're ignoring political, economic and geographic realities because you think Trump can magically wave them away.

You're going to be disappointed.
So...do you want the wall to be built? If not, then why not? You only mentioned that those who want illegals will fight to keep it from happening.

What "economic and geographic" realities are you talking about? It has been explained how the "economic" part will be dealt with and besides, whatever the cost, compared to what illegals cost this country on an annual basis, it will be worth it to spend money on the wall.

What "geographic" realities are you yammering about? You apparently don't know that the wall will only be 700 miles long. Do you know why that is? It's because a good part of the border consists of rough, dangerous terrain thus making it near impossible to navigate.

As for "political" realities, unlike you, I'm not about to roll over and play dead when it comes to the whole rotten corrupt system we now have in place. I'll do what I can as one person to effect positive change.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
So...do you want the wall to be built? If not, then why not? You only mentioned that those who want illegals will fight to keep it from happening.

What "economic and geographic" realities are you talking about? It has been explained how the "economic" part will be dealt with and besides, whatever the cost, compared to what illegals cost this country on an annual basis, it will be worth it to spend money on the wall.

What "geographic" realities are you yammering about? You apparently don't know that the wall will only be 700 miles long. Do you know why that is? It's because a good part of the border consists of rough, dangerous terrain thus making it near impossible to navigate.

As for "political" realities, unlike you, I'm not about to roll over and play dead when it comes to the whole rotten corrupt system we now have in place. I'll do what I can as one person to effect positive change.
No, I don't want the wall to be built. I think it's an ignorant idea and a waste of money.

As far as the realities I'm talking about, I explained all of that in my post above. I'm not going to do it again.

I have lived in two different border cities and currently live 3 hours from the Mexican border. I have driven just about the length of it from the Gulf of Mexico to El Paso and have camped on the bank of the Rio Grande. Yes, I am very familiar with the area and with the difficulties of crossing in the desert.

If you think that by voted for Trump you'll be effecting positive change, I'll say it again: You're going to be very disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections