Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:00 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,729,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
First, I said South Carolina had a HISTORY of being intolerant.
So does every other state in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Second, the article was talking about Trump supporters, not SC Republicans in general.

If you read the article, you would note that Rubio and Kasich voters were MUCH more tolerant than the Trump voters.
If you are referring to that NYT article, it's an opinion article where the author creates a narrative then finds some facts to support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 12:07 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,468,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It has become pretty clear to me that much of Trump's support is rooted in racism and ignorance. They arent conservatives. They don't care about the Constitution, responsible spending, or a limited Federal government ... they are White nationalist bigots who only care about Making America White Again. If they have to add $10 trillion to the Federal deficit to pay for mass roundups of Brown people than so be it.

I fear for the future of our country if this fascist wins in November. I hope to God that Gary Johnson can pull of a miracle.
Oh please. You belong in the Democrat party since you are a raging Progressive.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:20 PM

19,919 posts, read 9,479,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Wrong! The poll was 2000 general population respondents. It's amazing how people so easily fall for media lies:

1st page
https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...onToplines.pdf
Okay, perhaps I am confused, but these are excerpts from the the NYTImes article which I linked:

QUOTE: (my bold and italics)

Exit poll data from the South Carolina primary revealed that nearly half the Republicans who turned out on Saturday wanted undocumented immigrants to be deported immediately. Donald Trump won 47 percent of those voters. [snip]

New data from YouGov and Public Policy Polling show the extent to which he has tapped into a set of deeply rooted racial attitudes. But first, two caveats about these data are worth bearing in mind. The national YouGov survey was done near the middle of January, before the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire and South Carolina primaries. Public Policy Polling is a company aligned with the Democratic Party, and some of its results over the years have been suspected of bias. Taken by itself, its conclusions could be doubted. Taken with the YouGov and exit poll data, however, these three surveys can give us a better idea of Mr. Trump’s backers. [snip]

The P.P.P. poll asked voters if they thought whites were a superior race. Most Republican primary voters in South Carolina — 78 percent — disagreed with this idea (10 percent agreed and 11 percent weren’t sure). But among Mr. Trump’s supporters, only 69 percent disagreed. Mr. Carson’s voters were the most opposed to the notion (99 percent), followed by Mr. Kasich and Mr. Cruz’s supporters at 92 and 89 percent. Mr. Rubio’s backers were close to the average level of disagreement (76 percent).

According to P.P.P., 70 percent of Mr. Trump’s voters in South Carolina wish the Confederate battle flag were still flying on their statehouse grounds. (It was removed last summer less than a month after a mass shooting at a black church in Charleston.) The polling firm says that 38 percent of them wish the South had won the Civil War. Only a quarter of Mr. Rubio’s supporters share that wish, and even fewer of Mr. Kasich’s and Mr. Carson’s do.

Nationally, the YouGov data show a similar trend: Nearly 20 percent of Mr. Trump’s voters disagreed with the freeing of slaves in Southern states after the Civil War. Only 5 percent of Mr. Rubio’s voters share this view.

Mr. Trump’s popularity with white, working-class voters who are more likely than other Republicans to believe that whites are a supreme race and who long for the Confederacy may make him unpopular among leaders in his party. But it’s worth noting that he isn’t persuading voters to hold these beliefs. The beliefs were there — and have been for some time.

[snip]

[END QUOTE]

Now, I think you will agree with me that the writer of the article IS biased against Mr. Trump (and I admit that I am also biased!). However, I really don’t think you can dispute that the article makes clear that the poll was taken this year and NOT in 2000. However, if I am mistaken, I will willingly admit that.

Last edited by katharsis; 02-24-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 12:21 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,284,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Wrong! The poll was 2000 general population respondents. It's amazing how people so easily fall for media lies:

1st page
https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...onToplines.pdf
Yes, the toplines.

There will also be cross tabs, which give breakdowns for the ways in which the supporters of each candidate answered the question.

This is polling data 101 even if that isn't in your link.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:54 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,923,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
OMG - Vox - you are really hurting aren't you! Each candidate will have followers they aren't exactly proud of - even yours. You all really deserve Trump to win - keep convincing me that he's the candidate the reasonable sane ones are voting for! Meanwhile - stock up on your Zanex - you're all going to need it!
Be sure to check the batteries on the remote, flipping between the networks, and backing up the DVR avoiding the commercials.....

Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 PM

1,050 posts, read 700,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is this really what we have in store?

Nearly 20 percent of Trump
Well, if Trump wasn't running, who would these people vote for?

I'm sure they'd vote for someone--some Republican someone? Probably?

Old 02-24-2016, 01:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,442,225 times
Have you seen the crowd at a Trump rally? 20% is on the low side.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,940,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It has become pretty clear to me that much of Trump's support is rooted in racism and ignorance. They arent conservatives. They don't care about the Constitution, responsible spending, or a limited Federal government ... they are White nationalist bigots who only care about Making America White Again. If they have to add $10 trillion to the Federal deficit to pay for mass roundups of Brown people than so be it.

I fear for the future of our country if this fascist wins in November. I hope to God that Gary Johnson can pull of a miracle.
"Brown" ain't a race and, you should know that. Hell; not all illegal alien Mexicans are "brown", some are def pasty skin white.

BTW: I want ALL illegal aliens tossed OUT of the US, not just Spanish speaking Indians.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,940,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Vox? LOL How cute.
Vox is a bad joke. Period.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
BTW: I want ALL illegal aliens tossed OUT of the US, not just Spanish speaking Indians.
What are "Spanish speaking Indians"? I didn't know Spanish was one of the languages spoken in India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections