Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,557,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Take it up with the respective parties.

I suppose the GOP could cancel their later primaries if they wanted to. The question is, why would they want to?
Considering that 25% of the delegates won't be decided until after WV, the later primaries are as important as the earlier ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times
They won't do this because every state that was cut off would complain.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,981,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Obama has been prez for 8 yrs and forced the ACA down all our throats, followed by coercion of the Supreme Court to clear the illegal ACA Mandate......not to mention anybody with a brain can see the only reason the GOP currently has a majority is due to low voter turnout....Yes, the only agenda in this country is indeed liberal.......
Translation of "forced the ACA down all our throats": There was a vote in the Congress and it received a majority of the votes in favor.

Translation of "coercion of the Supreme Court": A suit was brought to court; the Administration defended the law and the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Administration's position.

The way the right frames the issues is propaganda worthy of Joseph Goebbels.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:16 AM

29,226 posts, read 22,446,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Thanks! This is interesting. But I thought if Trump or another future front runner wins a certain number of delegates, he automatically wins the nomination? I personally don't like the idea of a brokered convention or the idea of superdelegates. That seems very un-democratic to me. Whoever wins the most primary votes should receive the nomination for their party. I also think someone like Sanders shouldn't be allowed to join a party and immediate be eligible to run under that party. Sanders really should be running as an independent.
If a candidate has enough delegates to win the nomination, it doesn't mean that the win is automatic. The delegates still have to vote for the person at the convention, and with so many different state rules, some may have no obligation to anyone at the convention, even though the may be officially supporting some person.

Even with a big bag of votes, winning isn't easy.

Superdelegates are just uncommitted delegates who stay that way until the convention.

Trump and Sanders both get criticism for joining their parties only in order to run, but think about it- why should there be a requirement that a candidate has to be a long time affiliate with a political party? That cuts out converts, which are more fervent than long-timers, folks who were never political for a long time, young voters, and voters who are only recent citizens.

That's a lot of potential talent there, in all those groups. All the Republican candidates are pretty new to national politics, and 2 of them are young. If there were restrictive rules as to the length of a person's membership, all 3 of the frontrunners wouldn't be where they are now. Or Sanders.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:19 AM

29,226 posts, read 22,446,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
uh, the 2nd Amendment is fixin to be chipped away at, and how can you tell me that requiring every American to have health insurance is not an attack on EVERYBODY'S freedom? ...the more laws, taxes and regulations the Dems implement, the more we get away from what our founding fathers envisioned.
You're being chumped by the NRA. They count on stooges to keep their money rolling in. Nobody is coming for your guns. Nothing is being chipped away, and this doesn't have a damned thing to do with the topic being discussed. Stop it.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:21 AM

17,669 posts, read 15,380,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Probably not for at least two reasons.

First of all, the primaries aren't only about the national race. In Texas, for instance, we are voting on state reps, sheriffs, constables, judges, JPs, school board members, and a few propositions....at least.

Secondly, the ballots have probably "already been printed" which is to say, they are in the system, the wheels are in motion, and the money has been spent.
I'll throw in a third.. Kinda blows the whole "every vote matters" thing if they were to cancel them, doesn't it?

Plus.. You'd have what you had in 2012.. Where every state jumps up to try and have an earlier primary... Remember Florida screwing up an election (as normal) that year by moving their primary to Jan 31, which started a domino effect causing the Iowa caucuses to be held on Jan 6.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:21 AM

891 posts, read 1,058,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You're being chumped by the NRA. They count on stooges to keep their money rolling in. Nobody is coming for your guns. Nothing is being chipped away, and this doesn't have a damned thing to do with the topic being discussed. Stop it.
Nobody is comin for our guns NOW sure, but you and I and everybody else knows, that if Dems had their way, they sure as shootin would come for our guns.....if they knew they could get away with it bloodlessly, theyd be all over that ****.....and one day they will get bold enough........and I dont care about the topic being discussed, I replied to another post in this thread, so shove your high and mighty dem arrogance up your bunghole!! I will not stop anything, thank you very much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections