Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,341,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Not necessarily. He can win Florida Pennsylvania Ohio and Michigan and the rest of the red states from 2012 and its over.
Never going to happen. FL has too many Latino voters, Ohio has only voted Republican twice the last six elections and PA and MI haven't voted Republican since 1988. Those are solidly blue states and a clown like Trump certainly isn't turning them red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 11:33 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
I guess pot is still big up at SUNY Stoney Brook.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
No, the electoral math favors the Democrats. Come election day, do seriously think people will sit idly and allow a megalomaniac like Trump to get elected?
No it doesn't. There is no reason to believe the 2016 electoral map will look anything like the map of the last 24 years.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:24 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No it doesn't. There is no reason to believe the 2016 electoral map will look anything like the map of the last 24 years.
There is no reason to believe said map has changed.

Here I will save you some keystrokes. The mid-term results of 2014 are not necessarily indicative of anything. Remember how the Republicans in Congress got massacred in 2008. Republican came roaring back in 2010. Democrats won back seats in 2012. Republicans won seats in 2014. Guess whose turn it is?

Mick

Old 02-26-2016, 06:28 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
There is no reason to believe said map has changed.

Here I will save you some keystrokes. The mid-term results of 2014 are not necessarily indicative of anything. Remember how the Republicans in Congress got massacred in 2008. Republican came roaring back in 2010. Democrats won back seats in 2012. Republicans won seats in 2014. Guess whose turn it is?

Mick
Yes there is.

When a Blue State like NH in an open election year, has more Republicans shop at the primary than Democrats, by significant margin, then it's a very bad sign for Democrats. This never happens in that state in an open election year. Furthermore the number of Democrats voting in 2016 is far less than 2008.

And this is but on example.

The other is the gradual shift of the middle class away from Democrats in the last few years. This is why the GOP now controls the Congress, the majority of state governments, and hold the majority of governor.s offices.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:37 AM

30,402 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Not necessarily. He can win Florida Pennsylvania Ohio and Michigan and the rest of the red states from 2012 and its over.
Can Trump actually win Michigan and Penn in a general election? I can see it as a possibility but those states have been consistently blue although I see some Trump appeal there that other Repubs haven't gotten. I think Ohio and Florida are absolutely must wins for Republicans and they don't stand a chance unless they win both.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Professor's computer model says Trump will win. It has correctly picked the winner for the last 50+ years.

• Professor Helmut Norpoth’s statistical modeling gives Trump a 97 percent chance of beating Clinton in November - if he's the GOP nominee
  • Norpoth's model has accurately predicted the winner of every national election since 1912, The Statesman reports, except the election of 1960
I've said more than once that Hillary is facing landslide losses.

Donald Trump has 97% chance of beating Hillary Clinton in US election, Helmut Norpoth says | Daily Mail Online

Better move the election up to today, then.

BTW, what computer were they using in 1912?

Anyway, I can correctly predict the winner of every presidential election from 1788 to 2012.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Can Trump actually win Michigan and Penn in a general election?
Not Pennsylvania-no shot. I really do feel that Trump is only running to help his good pal Hill-Dog.

He is an entertainer and schemer. He will always do what is best for Donald Trump-which right now would be to put a good friend in the White House. Do people really believe that he would want to be President? I know it would be great for his bloated ego, but even Trump realizes that there are mundane and very challenging aspects to the job.

What- he just woke up one day, and decided he wanted to help the American people save their country?

I'm not buying it. Our country deserves Bernie Sanders.
Not these low-lives:

Old 02-26-2016, 07:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Professor's computer model says Trump will win. It has correctly picked the winner for the last 50+ years.

• Professor Helmut Norpoth’s statistical modeling gives Trump a 97 percent chance of beating Clinton in November - if he's the GOP nominee
  • Norpoth's model has accurately predicted the winner of every national election since 1912, The Statesman reports, except the election of 1960
I've said more than once that Hillary is facing landslide losses.

Donald Trump has 97% chance of beating Hillary Clinton in US election, Helmut Norpoth says | Daily Mail Online
I think she's going to lose based on Democrat low voter turnout. I think even though Democrats like her, they are not enthusiastic enough to make the effort to show up to vote for her on Election Day. Take a look at the Democrat primary turnout numbers versus past Democrat primaries. The only way the Republicans can screw up Election Day is if voters think the nomination is rigged and they don't show up, either.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think she's going to lose based on Democrat low voter turnout. I think even though Democrats like her, they are not enthusiastic enough to make the effort to show up to vote for her on Election Day. Take a look at the Democrat primary turnout numbers versus past Democrat primaries. The only way the Republicans can screw up Election Day is if voters think the nomination is rigged and they don't show up, either.
I don't disagree with you. Democrats will be using the Republican nominee as the motivation for turning out their base . . . . . You know, like if Bernie is the nominee, there will be Republicans and Independents coming out just to make sure Bernie is not elected. Same thing.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections