Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this has happened before and I've only been very politically involved in recent years as I've experienced first hand the liberal agenda threatening this nation that has woken me up.

I live in West Virginia which has one of the last primaries, thought the major states of California and New Jersey are even later. If Donald Trump (who is only my third favorite btw) wins all the necessary delegates before then and accumulates a huge lead, could that lead to the cancellation of the final few primaries/caucauses if they won't make a difference?

And I do wish different states could rotate the order instead of Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada always the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm not sure if this has happened before and I've only been very politically involved in recent years as I've experienced first hand the liberal agenda threatening this nation that has woken me up.

I live in West Virginia which has one of the last primaries, thought the major states of California and New Jersey are even later. If Donald Trump (who is only my third favorite btw) wins all the necessary delegates before then and accumulates a huge lead, could that lead to the cancellation of the final few primaries/caucauses if they won't make a difference?

And I do wish different states could rotate the order instead of Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada always the first.
You live in West Virginia, even the Democrats there are conservative and republicans control 30 states. There is no liberal agenda hurting this country, if anything, it is a Conservative one.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:56 PM

891 posts, read 1,054,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You live in West Virginia, even the Democrats there are conservative and republicans control 30 states. There is no liberal agenda hurting this country, if anything, it is a Conservative one.
Obama has been prez for 8 yrs and forced the ACA down all our throats, followed by coercion of the Supreme Court to clear the illegal ACA Mandate......not to mention anybody with a brain can see the only reason the GOP currently has a majority is due to low voter turnout....Yes, the only agenda in this country is indeed liberal.......

Old 02-25-2016, 12:30 AM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

............said the fox as he entered the henhouse.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:51 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
The answer to the question is no.
Delegates are still important all the way to the end. Some states have a winner-takes-all delegation, while other states have delegates that are committed to the person they represent, whether that person is at 1st place or 5th.

Some committed delegates are allowed to vote only the first time to honor their commitment, and other delegations must continue to commit to their person until the candidate quits the race at the convention and releases them. Still other delegations are allowed to switch their affiliation on the first vote after a mutual agreement among them.

The state rules vary. As long as a state's delegates are following the rules of their state, every convention could go wild-card at any time, and most have a lot of bargaining going on to prevent a runaway convention.

One of the fundamental purposes of conventions is to lock on one candidate and then support that candidate fully and firmly until election day. Late primaries still serve that purpose just as much as the early ones; the only difference is the late primaries have the advantage of knowing who has already dropped out. This can be a big advantage for the eventual nominee.

In fact, that's what Rubio and Cruz are both counting on now. Whether chosen by caucus or primary, the delegates all are important right up to the end. Cruz won Iowa, but Trump only lost a few possible delegates coming in a close second place. Iowa is a state where delegates are pledged to a candidate, no matter where the candidate came in, top, bottom, or in the middle.
Florida is a winner-takes-all. That's why Florida is so vital to both Rubio and Cruz; winning Florida for either really closes the gap on Trump and puts the winner in a much stronger position.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Obama has been prez for 8 yrs and forced the ACA down all our throats, followed by coercion of the Supreme Court to clear the illegal ACA Mandate......not to mention anybody with a brain can see the only reason the GOP currently has a majority is due to low voter turnout....Yes, the only agenda in this country is indeed liberal.......
What does this have to do with the topic's question?
Answer: nothing at all.
It's time to quit walking backwards, Colt.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:34 AM

891 posts, read 1,054,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
What does this have to do with the topic's question?
Answer: nothing at all.
It's time to quit walking backwards, Colt.

lol, my reply was not to the op, so whats your point really?

it's time to wake up and realize our freedoms are being slowly stripped away from us, banjo.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Nothing is official until the convention, so the Primaries will still take place. With that being said, once the match is reached to lock it up (or even slightly before then when its pretty much assured) turnout will likely be extremely low..

Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I live in West Virginia which has one of the last primaries, thought the major states of California and New Jersey are even later.
CA and NJ are both winner-take-all primaries so they will play a huge part in who has the most delegates going into the convention.

Here's an article talking about how important those final states will be in the primary. Combined they have about 25% of the total delegates needed to win the nomination.
This year California will finally influence who becomes the GOP Presidential nominee
Quote:
California's 172 delegates — 14% of the total needed to win the nomination and the most of any state — will be awarded winner-take-all. Four other states will elect 131 (mostly) winner-take-all delegates that day. That makes California the state with the biggest haul at potentially the most important moment in the race.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The answer to the question is no.
Delegates are still important all the way to the end. Some states have a winner-takes-all delegation, while other states have delegates that are committed to the person they represent, whether that person is at 1st place or 5th.

Some committed delegates are allowed to vote only the first time to honor their commitment, and other delegations must continue to commit to their person until the candidate quits the race at the convention and releases them. Still other delegations are allowed to switch their affiliation on the first vote after a mutual agreement among them.

The state rules vary. As long as a state's delegates are following the rules of their state, every convention could go wild-card at any time, and most have a lot of bargaining going on to prevent a runaway convention.

One of the fundamental purposes of conventions is to lock on one candidate and then support that candidate fully and firmly until election day. Late primaries still serve that purpose just as much as the early ones; the only difference is the late primaries have the advantage of knowing who has already dropped out. This can be a big advantage for the eventual nominee.

In fact, that's what Rubio and Cruz are both counting on now. Whether chosen by caucus or primary, the delegates all are important right up to the end. Cruz won Iowa, but Trump only lost a few possible delegates coming in a close second place. Iowa is a state where delegates are pledged to a candidate, no matter where the candidate came in, top, bottom, or in the middle.
Florida is a winner-takes-all. That's why Florida is so vital to both Rubio and Cruz; winning Florida for either really closes the gap on Trump and puts the winner in a much stronger position.
Thanks! This is interesting. But I thought if Trump or another future front runner wins a certain number of delegates, he automatically wins the nomination? I personally don't like the idea of a brokered convention or the idea of superdelegates. That seems very un-democratic to me. Whoever wins the most primary votes should receive the nomination for their party. I also think someone like Sanders shouldn't be allowed to join a party and immediate be eligible to run under that party. Sanders really should be running as an independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections