Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,000,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm a Republican and I am afraid he will tweet us right into WWIII.

Look on the bright side, if Trump wins then triggers WW3, you won't be worrying about a Presidential race 2020. Its hard to hold an election in a radioactive waste land in the dead of Nuclear Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 12:16 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,651,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
dexter75: Who is your candidate? We know it isn't anyone that would make a better candidate than Trump, so just who is the loser that you are backing?

Hang onto to your dream, Super Tuesday is just around the corner.
He's going for TED, which stands for Total Electoral Disaster.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IF that happens they risk Trump to go and switch to Independent if that is still possible and that way the GOP will loose out for sure so they will only hurt themselves and I don't think they are that stupid.
Trump or third party Trump, either way the GOP is going to lose. The thinking is that by divorcing themselves from Trump, they might be able to hang on to moderates in the Senate as well as save the party's reputation and conservative ideology.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:16 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,704,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And that's so different than supporting a candidate who does the buying and selling how?

There's much truth in 'It takes two to tango'.
If you have to ask, then you should do some homework. But I assume you are smarter than that an know the answer already. Thus you simply ask the question as an attempt to ignore that you support a crony capitalist for president.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump or third party Trump, either way the GOP is going to lose. The thinking is that by divorcing themselves from Trump, they might be able to hang on to moderates in the Senate as well as save the party's reputation and conservative ideology.
LOL...they have no reputation to save.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,856,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think the RNC knows that if they pull any s*it, 30% of Republicans may sit out the General Election.
Would the GOP risk another 4 years of D-President rather than have Trump?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again. I believe the GOP would be perfectly happy throwing this election to Hillary and trying again in 4 years rather than see Trump destroy the party.
It certainly is a possibility.

Or, conversely, if Trump cannot be stopped, they could oppose anything Trump favors.

Most, if not all of Trump's promises go nowhere without the approval and funding by Congress.

What matters to most Congress critters is their own reelection and pleasing their own financial backers including superpacs.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The 8 GOP senators and 247 GOP house members whose terms will expire in 2018 would rather see Clinton elected than Trump.
Easier to blame Hillary for everything, including bad weather than a popular Republican President.

On the other hand, Trump knows how to make a deal and that means compromize on both sides.
Cruz, on the other hand ...........

Their only hope is Rubio and right now that's not looking too good.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,590,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Ive heard this before but thanks to Biscuitmom for posting about it again in the polls sticky. In short, Rule 40 says that to earn the nomination, a candidate must win the majority of delegates in AT LEAST 8 states. Trump has only done that once so far. Now we know why so many candidates are sticking around, so Trump can't get that majority. If Trump can't get the majority in at least 8 states, the RNC can disregard the primary results. More interestingly, the RNC with a majority vote can change the number of states needed once the convention opens. So if Trump were to get over 50% in 8 states, they could move the threshold up to 10 states or 12 etc...Cant wait to see how this plays out.

A Brokered GOP Convention in 2016? - US News
Getting 50% of the delegates in the state isn't the same as 50% of the vote, many of the proportional states have a skew towards to the winner (20% clear thershold). If Trump gets about his polls, he will have 53% of the delegates so far after Super Tuesday. So in many states, at least 50% of the delegates.

The cake bakes – is Rubio in it?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,945,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm a Republican and I am afraid he will tweet us right into WWIII.
I used to vote Republican too, until I realized that the natural progression of the neocons was to produce a candidate like Trump. And so it has come to pass.

You are right, he could very well tweet us into WWIII. In doing so he will violate the memories of all the soldiers that died in WWII to protect us from fascist demagogues. I can overlook political posturing and manipulation, but I will NEVER forgive him for that.

And in the meantime, while he is working hard to make new enemies for us? America will become a laughing stock.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 02-28-2016 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections