Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM

17,354 posts, read 11,319,818 times

Advertisements

Rafael is often shortened or substituted with a nickname. It's also a very popular name in Italian not just Spanish. How desperate do you need to be to start talking about a candidates name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Why Senator Cruz doesn't use his real name RAFAEL and changed it to "Ted"?......is he ashamed of his Latino Heritage.....I guess with the name RAFAEL that doesn't sound too "AMERICAN" when campaigning in the republican party south.

I can't imagine his supporters chanting "RAFAEL" "RAFAEL" RAFAEL" "RAFAEL" "RAFAEL"....sounds like a dictator from some 3rd world Latin country.

I always question a person that is ashamed of his roots and doesn't want to use his birth given name.

Your fear is noted.

From a very young child, he has been known as Ted.
Just like at a very young age, you were known as DA

Old 02-28-2016, 02:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,962,971 times
Quote:
so if he changes his name to Lolita Cruz you won't have issues?
If Rafael is going to have a drag name I like Mimi Conchita Cruz. (Cruz pronounced in the Castilian style ... 'Crooth')

Old 02-28-2016, 04:07 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,840,856 times
Maybe he doesn't want to be associated with a ninja turtle.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Maybe he doesn't want to be associated with a ninja turtle.
Thats probably it.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,836,444 times
Quote:
Why Senator Cruz doesn't use his real name RAFAEL and changed it to "Ted"?......is he ashamed of his Latino Heritage.....I guess with the name RAFAEL that doesn't sound too "AMERICAN" when campaigning in the republican party south.

I can't imagine his supporters chanting "RAFAEL" "RAFAEL" RAFAEL" "RAFAEL" "RAFAEL"....sounds like a dictator from some 3rd world Latin country.

I always question a person that is ashamed of his roots and doesn't want to use his birth given name.
Yeah because anyone who doesn't go by his first full name must be ashamed of his roots...

Old 02-28-2016, 08:29 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,984,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If he wanted to be hip, he could go with "The artist formerly known as Rafael"
LOL

Seriously the OP is being ridiculous and I say this as someone who will never vote for Cruz under any circumstances. Ted Cruz actually uses his full name everywhere. Ted is just his nickname

OP do you live in the US? Rumor has it some Trump supporters post from third world countries. You don't seem to be familiar with American culture.

Ted Cruz middle name is Edward, that's where "Ted" comes from. Please stop looking like a fool claiming the nickname came from nowhere.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:51 PM

63,014 posts, read 29,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah because anyone who doesn't go by his first full name must be ashamed of his roots...

That seems to be an issue among certain cultures. Their ethnic pride defies common sense.

I never understood the need to hyphenate your last name by your mother's maiden name and your father's surname either.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM

22,491 posts, read 12,039,050 times
7 Things You Never Knew About Ted Cruz That We Learned From Reading His Book - ABC News

From the link:
--------------------------------------------

2. Ted Is Actually Not His Real Name

When he was 13, Cruz decided to change his name to “Ted.”

Born Rafael Edward Cruz, he’d gone by the nickname “Felito” most of his life. Cruz describes the nickname often resulted in him being teased. He refers to that time of his life as a time where he was an “unpopular nerd.”

“The problem with that name was that it seemed to rhyme with every major corn chip on the market. Fritos, Cheetos, Doritos and Tostitos- a fact that other young children were quite happy to point out,” Cruz wrote.

Cruz wrote that his mother gave him the idea to change his name: “‘Ted’ immediately felt like me. But my father was furious with the decision. He viewed it as a rejection of him and his heritage, which was not my intention.”

Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,439,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
7 Things You Never Knew About Ted Cruz That We Learned From Reading His Book - ABC News

He refers to that time of his life as a time where he was an “unpopular nerd.”

Some things apparently never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections