Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 05:04 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,698,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You are soooooo wrong to assume that we won't.
I didn't assume that you won't vote out your own congressional, state, or local reps. But, historically, even people who want change in the presidency tend to re-elect their 'own' rep. I just said it would be 'interesting' to see how these elections for other offices play out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,113,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I support the 1st Amendment. The 1st Amendment is not politically correct in what it protects.
You do realize that First Amendment only protects you from a governmental action. You can say whatever in a private college or a business or whatever. The government has nothing do with what might happen as a consequence.

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
You do realize that First Amendment only protects you from a governmental action. You can say whatever in a private college or a business or whatever. The government has nothing do with what might happen as a consequence.

Mick
If I say something you don't like you are free to say something back. That said, the 1st was still enacted to protect speech that is not politically correct.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:15 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,698,753 times
Quote:
Yours is a vague question that is unanswerable. How do you know how they voted? You are assuming that everyone's represented voted wrongly every time.
No, my question is eminently answerable, if someone wants to take the time to understand what representation they are getting form their own reps.

I'm suggesting that simply on the basis of one vote on one bill is not the way to decide that your rep is one to keep. If you look at their record, and determine if they voted the way you wanted (which, by the way, is not the same as 'wrongly') on those items that are important to you, then you have the knowledge to determine if you want to keep the rep or vote the rep out.

For the feds, the Congressional Record makes it really easy to see the whole voting record for everyone in congress. Several states have an equivalent online that is easy to access. Even some local governments have something like that. Since you are paying your rep's salary, you have the right to directly ask your reps at various levels for their voting records.

Let me help you get started:

https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record

Old 02-29-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
If I say something you don't like you are free to say something back. That said, the 1st was still enacted to protect speech that is not politically correct.
. . . . to protect said politically incorrect speech from the GOVERNMENT. Wait, there was no political correctness in 1791 . . . that's some pejorative that was invented in the 1980's or thereabouts.

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
No, my question is eminently answerable, if someone wants to take the time to understand what representation they are getting form their own reps.

I'm suggesting that simply on the basis of one vote on one bill is not the way to decide that your rep is one to keep. If you look at their record, and determine if they voted the way you wanted (which, by the way, is not the same as 'wrongly') on those items that are important to you, then you have the knowledge to determine if you want to keep the rep or vote the rep out.
Sorry, that's my position. The question was whether or not those voting for Trump as a protest are going to be hypocritical and still vote for their rep. It's my position that it does not work that way. If their rep is a part of the establishment, yes, they should vote them out. If not, then not.

(I don't need your help)

Old 02-29-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
. . . . to protect said politically incorrect speech from the GOVERNMENT. Wait, there was no political correctness in 1791 . . . that's some pejorative that was invented in the 1980's or thereabouts.

Mick
Do you have a point?

Old 02-29-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Do you have a point?
It is rather apparent when read in conjunction with your post that I quoted.

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times
I question what some really mean when they say they want to do away with, "political correctness."

Old 02-29-2016, 06:13 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Default Politicians are like kids bullying each other on the playground

The mute button has become my best friend. I am sick and tired of politicians acting like kids on a playground, bullying each other, making personal attacks on their looks and an embarrassment to their party and the US. Why don't they tell me what and how they are going to accomplish something? Who they plan on having in their cabinets and administration? Even the President lowers himself and bullies the opposing party.

We spend a lot of time and effort to remove bullying from schools yet it is acceptable in the highest office of the land? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections