Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 02:55 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,403,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
If you have ever read Solzhenitsyn you would not ask this question, because it was answered 40 years ago.
I think I'm a fairly intelligent and engaged person, and I have never heard of that before. I guess that helps not answer my question directly, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 03:15 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,336,722 times
Quote:
You people who get hung up on policies or even ideology are arguing the wrong election. In 2016, at least on the GOP side, those have become secondary. There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many Republicans who have just HAD IT with the scum GOP Establishment, and with Political Correctness. And they see 2016 as the chance to destroy both.
For me personally these days, I have only one thing to say to at least 90% of the political class (be they politicians, media, lobbyists, consultants, donors, campaign guys, staffers, etc). It's a two word expression and the first word starts with F.
You know when you set out to destroy something it is helpful, better yet essential that you have something better to replace it with it. In 1776, Americans had a basic idea of what they were going to replace Britain's constitutional monarchy (it funny that the beef was with King George, but King George's Prime Minister Lord North but I digress). The idea of just destroying something is can be seen in the revolutions in Egypt, Syria, and Libya, fortunately at least we will hopefully still have a functioning constitution so I don't believe that things will degenerate to that level, but it should serve as an object lesson for destroying things just for the sake of destroying them.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You know when you set out to destroy something it is helpful, better yet essential that you have something better to replace it with it. In 1776, Americans had a basic idea of what they were going to replace Britain's constitutional monarchy (it funny that the beef was with King George, but King George's Prime Minister Lord North but I digress). The idea of just destroying something is can be seen in the revolutions in Egypt, Syria, and Libya, fortunately at least we will hopefully still have a functioning constitution so I don't believe that things will degenerate to that level, but it should serve as an object lesson for destroying things just for the sake of destroying them.

It's not "just for the sake of destroying them". That's just silly nonsense.

As somebody who has been involved in GOP politics for twenty years, I can allay your fear that there is nothing in mind replace what will be destroyed. What will still exist will be millions of good, ordinary GOP members who have great ideas and hard work to make things better. They have been stymied by the Establishment for 30 years, but once the Establishment is destroyed, they will step up to the plate and get to work, at every level.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Very, VERY heartening to see that at least 60% of GOP voters (and likely a bit more than that) are against the Elite Establishment (now that so many states have voted). At times the battle gets a bit lonely, but obviously our side has numbers on its side, in this ongoing GOP civil war. Realizing this will lift our side to new heights and efforts.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I noted this before....its not about destroying anything...it's about knocking the legs out from under the establishment.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,850,268 times
Quote:
You people who get hung up on policies or even ideology are arguing the wrong election. In 2016, at least on the GOP side, those have become secondary. There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many Republicans who have just HAD IT with the scum GOP Establishment, and with Political Correctness. And they see 2016 as the chance to destroy both.
For me personally these days, I have only one thing to say to at least 90% of the political class (be they politicians, media, lobbyists, consultants, donors, campaign guys, staffers, etc). It's a two word expression and the first word starts with F.
Reminds me of one of those films where the people's hero guerrilla overthrows the government and takes over the government. Fast forward a bit and he is making the same decisions the gov't he overthrew was making.

I think I heard once that folks go to DC and lose their hearts and minds.

I recall the film: Burn! with Marlon Brando good flick.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-01-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 PM

19,260 posts, read 17,129,598 times
Quote:
Perhaps for many GOP voters it's not a distaste for the "scum GOP Establishment" as you put it so much as a distaste for the extreme conservatives have taken over the party. If anything comes out of this election cycle I hope the party can move to a more moderate position, the current T Party influenced "my way or the highway mentality" is doing nothing but driving people out of the party. Also people need to remember we are electing a political leader not a religious one..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps for many GOP voters it's not a distaste for the "scum GOP Establishment" as you put it so much as a distaste for the extreme conservatives have taken over the party. If anything comes out of this election cycle I hope the party can move to a more moderate position, the current T Party influenced "my way or the highway mentality" is doing nothing but driving people out of the party. Also people need to remember we are electing a political leader not a religious one..
Yeah, yeah, whatever. YOUR side has the Establishment behind it, and has had a stranglehold on power in the party for a loooong time. And your side has been absolutely RUTHLESS (not against Dems, unfortunately......no, only against fellow Republicans).
Those days are over, thank God.
The Whig Party lasted a few more years after the GOP was started. If today's GOP Elite won't allow the party to be reformed, then folks like you can have what's left of it. There won't be many of you (the Whigs lasted less than five years; I wouldn't give the husk of the GOP even that long).

Two words for you: Thad Cochrane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections