Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 AM

10,647 posts, read 12,255,081 times

Advertisements

What's made you laugh or angry about the conversations you've had about this election cycle?

I'm blessed to be able to work at a place where we co-workers can discuss politics. It's a white collar highly educated work force. People of all backgrounds, of course. But we know how to have touchy conversations with out it getting personal.

I have to say I marvel at some of the things I hear people say about why they support certain people.
You've got the conspiracy theorists. The Liberals. The conservatives. The Neo-cons.. The Libertarians. actually we all marvel at each other.

I have to say I'm more disappointed in some of the media reporting than I am in the average people I talk to about the election. It's fascinating -- and some would say -- calculated -- what "mainstream media" choose to push as a pro or a con for one candidate or another.

Also do you think the average person is paying attention to the primary races YET? I ask because one friend who already know who she's voting for -- and trust me -- she WON'T be swayed -- has said she'll start paying attention at CONVENTION TIME!

I HOPE most people are paying attention already…I think. I hope their paying attention
Would that be good or bad for my guy? Uuuhhhm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 01:43 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,220,566 times
I live in a really liberal area so everything I see (bumper stickers, etc.) is either Hillary or Bernie. Lots of Hillary, but I see some Bernie too.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:07 AM

34,297 posts, read 15,750,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I live in a really liberal area so everything I see (bumper stickers, etc.) is either Hillary or Bernie. Lots of Hillary, but I see some Bernie too.
I have lived in la la land before too. I noticed most of the kids have a spot for their helmets right by the door. They can't go outside without them. However, it has never stopped me from understanding or answering a question.

Most of the people I come in contact with support Trump.
They will mention one or two issues they like his position on. Then move on to other topics. Most are not interested in having a prolonged detailed discussion on politics because they are working and focusing their attention on the job. I do know one person that supports Hillary but she won't talk about when you ask her why. People find humor in different things and there is plenty to laugh at or get angry about in both parties. Jeb cracked me up quite a bit most anytime he said something. Please clap !!!
No really I mean it !!! Please clap !!!
I just poured out my heart and sole to you. Please clap!!!

Last edited by phma; 02-29-2016 at 02:23 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 04:09 AM

20,143 posts, read 16,284,262 times
What's made you laugh or angry about the conversations you've had about this election cycle?

The biggest thing is that no matter what evidence you present to Trump followers, whether on boards like this or in person, that either what he is saying is against their beliefs, that he contradicts himself, or that he is not who he pretends to be, the response is in one form or another that it doesn't matter because he's Trump. No matter what he does or says they find a way to explain it away.

It's like a person falling in love with the way a house looks so they ignore that the foundation is cracked, the roof is sagging, the plumbing leaks, the heater doesn't work, the basement floods, and the price is way too high for the area. It would be funny to sit back and wait for the buyer's remorse if they weren't also making that purchase for me.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:09 AM

37,848 posts, read 41,209,489 times
I only discuss politics with you guys. Since I was a Fed all of my career, you had to worry you would be violating the Hatch Act and my non-work friends were non-political.

I laugh at the national news media who thinks Bloomberg could get in the race. Outside of their bubble and political junkies, I bet more than 50% of the American people have no idea who he is.

The most underreported story this election cycle is the story of Marco Rubio and the H-1B visas and you know it's the most under-reported by the people who support him, the ones most likely to lose their job to an H-1B visa holder.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:23 AM

12,106 posts, read 5,991,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

The biggest thing is that no matter what evidence you present to Trump followers, whether on boards like this or in person, that either what he is saying is against their beliefs, that he contradicts himself, or that he is not who he pretends to be, the response is in one form or another that it doesn't matter because he's Trump. No matter what he does or says they find a way to explain it away.

It's like a person falling in love with the way a house looks so they ignore that the foundation is cracked, the roof is sagging, the plumbing leaks, the heater doesn't work, the basement floods, and the price is way too high for the area. It would be funny to sit back and wait for the buyer's remorse if they weren't also making that purchase for me.

Point taken - but that could also be applied to the Obama lovers. I've had people defriend me on Facebook because I didn't like the guy. They were not voting with their brain but with the attitude that it was time for a black American president - didn't matter who it was - did not matter his politic - didn't matter his background or experience and definitely didn't matter his positions.

So complete fools are found in both the parties. I think Trump supporters realize he has faults - but when compared to the other candidates or what the establishment has not done for the American people - Trump is the hope and change - Obama talked about. They'd rather take the chance on the mystery door - where something positive may appear than go with the tried and true which has failed us many times in the past.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:52 AM

20,143 posts, read 16,284,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Point taken - but that could also be applied to the Obama lovers. I've had people defriend me on Facebook because I didn't like the guy. They were not voting with their brain but with the attitude that it was time for a black American president - didn't matter who it was - did not matter his politic - didn't matter his background or experience and definitely didn't matter his positions.

So complete fools are found in both the parties. I think Trump supporters realize he has faults - but when compared to the other candidates or what the establishment has not done for the American people - Trump is the hope and change - Obama talked about. They'd rather take the chance on the mystery door - where something positive may appear than go with the tried and true which has failed us many times in the past.
So why didn't we as a nation learn that voting on "hope and change" while ignoring the candidate's shortcomings can be disastrous? This nation looks on track to vote in an old, white Obama, unless that lying corrupt she-devil manages to pull off the win this time. I hate that I will have to vote for her in the general election. I will though, despite huge misgivings, because amateur hour in the White House has never worked in this nation.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:58 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,177,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

It's totally understandable . . . . Mr. Trump is very smart, charming, charismatic, bigger than life . . . right up there with Joseph Smith, L. Ron Hubbard, Jim Jones, David Koresh, and Marshall Applewhite. In the eyes of their followers, they couldn't do any wrong either.

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 04:59 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,385,722 times
Quote:
They'd rather take the chance on the mystery door - where something positive may appear than go with the tried and true which has failed us many times in the past.
That sums it up perfect, people are willing to throw the dice and hope not to crap out. Some might be also looking at who Trump picks to be part of the team. So far we know Christie and Sessions are going to have some kind of role to play. I am not willing to roll the dice just yet but I am watching and if I do not vote Trump I will be voting 3rd party.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,177,275 times
Quote:
Are you sure they de-friended you solely for that reason? Perhaps it was how you said it?

Quote:
I think taking a chance on non-establishment/non-politician is fine, but their supporters say stuff like, "Oh, how much worse could it be?" A lot worse, actually. Just be cognizant of that . . . . a "change" could lead to totally disaster. We won't know until it happens, but that possibility must be considered as well.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections