Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,459,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Deflection does not win debates. Sorry you can't do anything else to defend the indefensible Trump U.
The indefensible Clinton U. is doing that job for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,616,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott received a $35,000 donation to his successful gubernatorial campaign from Donald Trump. This after a Texas probe into Trump University was dropped in 2010, according to the Associated Press.

The AP reported that Abbott, a Republican, was serving as Texas Attorney General at the time, and opened a civil investigation of "possibly deceptive trade practices" into Trump University, but quietly dropped it when the organization agreed to end its operations in Texas.

Trump subsequently donated $35,000 to Abbott's successful gubernatorial campaign, according to records obtained by the AP.

AP: Greg Abbott Given $35K Campaign Donation by Trump after Trump University Probe Dropped

The investigators went undercover to attend seminars, interviewed dozens of students and requested hundreds of documents. Ultimately, records show, they determined in May 2010 that the program had illegally engaged in false advertising, and they asked their bosses to sue unless the business agreed to pay the state $5.4 million.

And then, everything stopped. Trump University decided to leave Texas, and the bosses decided not to file the lawsuit - a choice that did not sit well with at least one of the investigators.

Abbott, who is now governor and has endorsed Trump, argued he did his job by using an investigation to force a bad business out of the state.

Inside the probe into Trump University that Abbott's office launched and then ended - Houston Chronicle

Looks at that twisting there. Abbott says he successfully got a bad business out of his state, but also took $35K from Trump and also endorses Trump.
Kind of has that illegal bribery smell to it, doesn't it?

Well, they are investigating that right now. IF I were Trump, I would quit bragging that Texas dropped the suit.

There's another AG that got a mysterious donation as well, I'll have to find that.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 AM

47,071 posts, read 26,170,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Trump has a perfect right to criticize the judge.
Yes, we've covered that. It's stupid, it's been tried as a defense strategy before, and it's not going to work this time either.

Quote:
My prediction -- the judge will recuse himself.
This guy has had Mexican drug lords in his courtroom, you think bombast from someone like Trump scares him?

Quote:
If he doesn't and Trump loses, Trump will appeal and easily win based on the judge's pro-illegal alien activities alone.
You're completely daydreaming now.

Quote:
Check out Judge Judy if you have any doubts about this.
Hate to break this to you, but Judge Judy is not presiding over a real court. It is a television show. What happens on the magic moving-pictures box in your living room is not reality.

Quote:
So a guy promised a Mercedes drives off the lot in a Yugo and then sues.
No. A guy sees the Yugo being offered, says "I paid for a Mercedes, your ads promised a Mercedes, so give me my money back." To which the owner of Honest Donald's Mad Wheels & Deals says "Tough luck, we say it's a Mercedes and we have much better lawyers. You should have known better than to deal with us".

Incidentally, judge Juriel has actually been pretty nuanced in his handling of the case. As much as Trump likes to yell "Help! I'm being repressed" - how can a man who claims to be tough be so thin-skinned? - the plaintiffs have most certainly not had it all their way.

This is what actually happened:

Quote:
Judge Curiel found that plaintiffs had offered admissible evidence creating a genuine dispute about whether Trump "hand-picked" Trump University instructors as he claimed, that they had offered enough evidence to create a dispute about whether Trump was responsible for Trump University advertisements because he reviewed them personally, and that they had offered enough evidence to create a factual dispute about whether plaintiffs relied to their detriment on false representations for which Trump could be held responsible.
Is there an element in this analysis you disagree with, and if so, which?

The recap is from here - good site. If you're at all interested in the law. Trigger alert: Longer words than Judge Judy and Trump use.

https://popehat.com/2016/06/01/lawsp...iversity-case/

Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Being stupid isn't a legal defense. Not unless you're mentally handicapped.

And that is true whether you're dealing with Judge Judy or any other judge.

Judge Curiel supports illegal aliens.

He is not qualified to judge Trump.

Period.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:35 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,001,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
The whole thing seems silly to me even as a Trump supporter (somewhat). Why even mess around with this ideal of a "trump university" if you werent going to reall invest a honest effort into? For a rich guy I have to question why waste the money (getting sued) for a small payoff or benefit. How much did he think he could really make off this?

From the students side how stupid are they? They didn't go into your accounts and take money from you and at the end of the day the choice to pay 30K to Trump university was entirely yours. I mean really, can I go to the Mercedes dealership and allow the car salesman to talk me into a 40K car , but then be able to sue after i realize i was duped into a costly payment? If that's the case I think i need to hire this lawyer.

Its actually fail on both ends if you ask me. Which begs the question of people that run for president why run with stupid stuff like this in your background?
Why run for president? because they know how stupid Americans are. All you need is a "republican" or "democrat" label right next to your name and people will vote for you no matter how shady your past is.

Why mess with the idea of Trump University? Because he is greedy and not always very smart. Trump is known for his low salaries, no realtor was gonna waste their time making a fraction of what they would be making selling properties.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:37 AM

26,580 posts, read 14,513,171 times
Quote:
Being stupid isn't a legal defense.
let trump know.

Quote:
then we should expect trump's attorney to file a motion for the judge to recuse himself, correct?

Old 06-05-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
then we should expect trump's attorney to file a motion for the judge to recuse himself, correct?
It all depends.

This judge is good election fodder.

You libs keep talking about him and keeping Trump in the news.

Notice that there aren't any Hillary or Bernie threads?

Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,999,639 times
Quote:

And that is true whether you're dealing with Judge Judy or any other judge.

Judge Curiel supports illegal aliens.

Period.
In criminal proceedings, ignorance of fact is a defensible excuse. I.e. Stupid people unaware of a circumstance have viable defenses to raise.

Do know that Judge Judy was a judge at one time, but is no longer. What you are watching is a made for TV arbitration proceeding.

Support for immigration has nothing to do with qualifications. The judge won't recuse himself and if Trump is smart he'll settle this. Unfortunately, if Trump were smart he'd know that his run for president would give national publicity to their cause and increase their leverage for $$ in a settlement. This should've been settled for pennies on what he would be paying of he settled now. He could've had some confidentiality provisions tied to the settlement and this would've gone away already.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:02 AM

47,071 posts, read 26,170,053 times
Quote:
You are aware of who's the defendant, right?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:25 AM

26,580 posts, read 14,513,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
.... if Trump were smart he'd know that his run for president would give national publicity to their cause and increase their leverage for $$ in a settlement.
since the plaintiffs are seeking punitive damages against trump i'll be curious to see if trump's claim of a $10billion net worth will be brought into the court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections