Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:39 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,747,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yikes.

I remember Obama saying all his credit cards were maxed out so he had trouble making it to the 2004 Democratic National Convention, but geesh $65,000 is a lot. It did fluctuate back down to "just" $25,000 at one point, but couple that with him not having saved or invested anything by his age is troubling to me.

As balancing the budget is a concern of mine, I do think that someone who balances their own budget and thinks of the future finances by saving and investing might be more likely to balance the national budget.

Credit card debt a regular feature on Sanders' finance reports

Bernie Sanders' wife accounts for all his reported assets - POLITICO
Yeah right?
And Trump, because he's made millions and millions of dollars will save the U.S. economy. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 06:40 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,972,368 times
From what I can tell from the OP's article is that Mr. Sanders has credit cards and his total annual usage was $65,000, including a wedding that was charged on the card. There is no mention in the article about whether balances are carried over from one month to another or paid in full at the end of each month.

$65,000 over a year is an average of just over $5,000 per month in total charges. That's less than what I spend on my credit cards and I never carry a balance to the next month.

I know that some are inclined to find something -- anything, to put Mr. Sanders in the worst possible light but I don't see anything here. The guy earns $174,000 and spends $65,000 a year on his credit cards. So?

Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,134,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From what I can tell from the OP's article is that Mr. Sanders has credit cards and his total annual usage was $65,000, including a wedding that was charged on the card. There is no mention in the article about whether balances are carried over from one month to another or paid in full at the end of each month.

$65,000 over a year is an average of just over $5,000 per month in total charges. That's less than what I spend on my credit cards and I never carry a balance to the next month.

I know that some are inclined to find something -- anything, to put Mr. Sanders in the worst possible light but I don't see anything here. The guy earns $174,000 and spends $65,000 a year on his credit cards. So?
And a lot of people charge absolutely everything to earn miles, even if they don't need credit.

But $174K is gross earnings, pre-tax.

Mick

Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Yeah right?
And Trump, because he's made millions and millions of dollars will save the U.S. economy. Please.
On that, if Trump actually had any intention of balancing the federal budget, he would have proposed a tax-plan that is different than the one that he did propose -- one that adds about a trillion dollars a year to the deficit.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
And a lot of people charge absolutely everything to earn miles, even if they don't need credit.

But $174K is gross earnings, pre-tax.

Mick
That's true but I didn't include his wife's earnings.

I charge everything that I can too, to earn cash-back rewards. Bernie might also.

But this article about Bernie below is quite disturbing:

The New Yorker: Sanders Admits Receiving Free Checking from Big Banks

Quote:
MANCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE (The Borowitz Report)—Scandal rocked Bernie Sanders’s Presidential campaign on Friday as the candidate was forced to admit that he received free checking from several big banks.

In a press conference in Manchester, New Hampshire, a chastened Sanders acknowledged that, over the past two decades, he received free checking from Bank of America, Citibank, and JPMorgan Chase in exchange for maintaining a five-hundred-dollar minimum balance.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:56 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,520,217 times
Until his wife resigned from Burlington College, she earned between 150-200k yearly herself. So they were pulling well over 300k/income per year. That's significant income to have no investments, savings, and a large credit card debt at their age.

On his financial disclosure, all of their joint assets (two homes, if I recall correctly) were in his wife's name. It is peculiar, and suggests that managing finances has not been a priority for them. He didn't have gainful employment until he entered politics at age 40, so that's a good 15 years behind he was in earning. And while people can explain it away all they like, I'd like to think of it as a warning to college-aged people that it's wise to begin your career and save everything you can as soon as you graduate. Spending a couple decades 'finding yourself' generally won't leave you with a strong portfolio come retirement age.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The same report lists over 750k in assets, so it seems he has saved.
With $200K worth of income over a 25 year period, he hasnt saved much..

Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Until his wife resigned from Burlington College, she earned between 150-200k yearly herself. So they were pulling well over 300k/income per year. That's significant income to have no investments, savings, and a large credit card debt at their age.

On his financial disclosure, all of their joint assets (two homes, if I recall correctly) were in his wife's name. It is peculiar, and suggests that managing finances has not been a priority for them. He didn't have gainful employment until he entered politics at age 40, so that's a good 15 years behind he was in earning. And while people can explain it away all they like, I'd like to think of it as a warning to college-aged people that it's wise to begin your career and save everything you can as soon as you graduate. Spending a couple decades 'finding yourself' generally won't leave you with a strong portfolio come retirement age.
Or they hide a lot of their assets in the wifes name in order for him to plead "poverty", so the stupid would support him as just like them..

Old 03-16-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
On that, if Trump actually had any intention of balancing the federal budget, he would have proposed a tax-plan that is different than the one that he did propose -- one that adds about a trillion dollars a year to the deficit.
that "projection" you keep quoting is complete garbage. Once again, you cant cut taxes by a trillion a year on people NOT PAYING a trillion in taxes.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Or they hide a lot of their assets in the wifes name in order for him to plead "poverty", so the stupid would support him as just like them..
According to the Politico article that the OP linked:
Quote:
According to the disclosure, Sanders and his wife Jane reported between $194,026-$741,030 in assets, a broad combination of investment funds.
His wife is disclosing it all.

I find it ironic that the conservatives on this forum are second-guessing what the Sanders' do with their money. Whatever happened to, "it's their money and they are free to do what they want."? Maybe they give a lot of money to charity and that's why they don't have so much personal wealth.

In the end, I don't think what the Sanders' do with their money is our business unless they are doing something illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections