Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
He is a regular American. Scratch that, he is doing way better than the regular American in terms of saving. And he's got a nice pension from being a mayor and being a Senator. He'll do fine in retirement.

Mick
Yep. And since he has been in Congress for 26 years he has contributed the max to social security - another $50k+ a year in retirement income added to his congressional pension of $75k or so. He will do ok and live well when he retires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Except they dont pay 1.75 trillion a year. That would mean they'd pay every dime of income taxes, which of course they dont.

Your own math proves you wrong.

in 2016, federal revenues are projected to be $3.34 trillion a year, of which 58% comes from income taxes..

that means about $1.93 trillion come from income taxes, and since they pay nearly half, thats $900 billion a year give or take.

Trumps plan would have to PAY THEM, in order for the figure to hold any truth to it, which we all know is BULL ****..
According to IRS data, the top 1% earn $1.68 trillion a year. Trump's plan cuts revenue a total of $1 trillion a year, with most going to the top 1%. That's not according to me. That's according to the Tax Foundation. If you have a dispute over their numbers, complain to them, not me.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:58 AM

Instead of having a serious debate about things that matter, such as how each of the candidate's tax-plans or health plans, differ, we have these "follow the shinny object" threads about none-issues.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:02 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Instead of having a serious debate about things that matter, such as how each of the candidate's tax-plans or health plans, differ, we have these "follow the shinny object" threads about none-issues.
There's several multi-page threads here about Clinton's style of dress.

There seems to be enough scorn of each candidate to go around here.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
There's several multi-page threads here about Clinton's style of dress.

There seems to be enough scorn of each candidate to go around here.
And none of it matters in the scheme of things -- which one has the best policies for the nation.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Meh. Every candidate but the ones as wealthy as Mitt or Trump max out their cards at some point.

There's always legal ways to transfer war chest funds that will take care of the problem unless a campaign supervisor was so stupid as to not prepare for the eventuality. Sooner or later, the hotel bill has to be paid faster than the transfer can happen.

Bernie has no problems with transfers. He has self-funded his entire campaign, but he's been down this road many, many times before, and knows what to hold and what to spend. If his contributions keep up at their present rate, he won't have any problems. I expect them to increase, just as they did just before this latest batch of primaries. Bernie's average contribution is $44 dollars. That means he has millions of very dedicated followers on his side, all the way to the end.

Obama was much the same in 2008. But eventually, a couple of PACs came to support him late in the day.

Scott Walker's manager was THAT stupid. Walker had tens of millions in superpac funds, ready to blitz a state with TV, radio and print ads in a minute's notice, but his contingency fund was blown through so fast Walker was faced with funding the rest of the staff and road expenses for the rest of the primary season out of his own pocket. That's why, in large part, he quit so soon.
And he was going to be the establishment's savior from the great orange peril from Manhattan. Can anyone even remember that far back now? A year ago, in January 2015, Walker was the runaway favorite to win the nomination.

Now, he probably won't even be re-elected Governor. He can't even use any of that PAC money for a state race for Guv.

That's what you get when you flunk out of college I guess. If he had become the nominee, he would have been the first in over 100 years who didn't have a college degree in either party.
Yup. ALL campaigns are run on credit. A campaign is a short-lived but very intense business, and there is a whole profession dedicated to running them. High short-term debt is to be expected, what counts is whether the expectation of sufficient donations to pay off the debt is reasonable or not. In Sanders' case - it's very reasonable!

Win or lose, eventually his donors will pay to retire his campaign debts. As will Clinton's, Trump's, Rubio's - a candidate who runs out of donors before the debts are paid off stayed in the campaign too long!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
That's just factually incorrect. The budget could be balanced (although that's really not a good idea for many reasons) without going back to 1990 spending levels. The federal deficit is about $500-550 billion. A combination of tax-increases and spending cuts equaling that amount will balance the budget.
wrong.. its called the laffer curve

Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
both- and? I don't have a silver spoon in my mouth, parent who left me anything- and I live alone.

The average class of 2015 graduate with student-loan debt will have to pay back a little more than $35,000, according to an analysis of government data by Mark Kantrowitz, publisher at Edvisors, a group of websites about planning and paying for college. Even adjusted for inflation, that’s still more than twice the amount borrowers had to pay back two decades earlier.
add a car and credit cards and other credit -- they don't just OWE student loans
neither have I, and I've got millions in debt, but to suggest millions for "investments", vs credit cards are the same, is utterly silly.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Exactly.

People use credit cards to accummulate air miles or other rewards but it doesn't necessarily mean they don't clear the balance monthly. It doesn't matter if he charged $1,000 a year or $100,000 a year - all that matters in terms of his approach to fiscal responsibility is that the balance is cleared each month and that no interest is charged.

I think the thread title is misleading.
So lets see if we can connect the dots here...

Sanders puts all sorts of charges on his credit card from his "campaign", he gets the "points", and then bills the campaign for the charges...

And this isnt frowned upon, and justified..

weird..

Old 03-16-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
According to IRS data, the top 1% earn $1.68 trillion a year. Trump's plan cuts revenue a total of $1 trillion a year, with most going to the top 1%. That's not according to me. That's according to the Tax Foundation. If you have a dispute over their numbers, complain to them, not me.
hahaha, they EARN $1.68 trillion a year, they DONT PAY THAT IN TAXES..

Once again, YOU CAN NOT CUT TAXES $1 Trillion a year on a group of people NOT PAYING IT...

If they were here quoting the numbers, i'd be laughing in their face, but they arent, YOU ARE using them.. so as a result, I'm laughing at you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections