Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:53 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
That's just factually incorrect. The budget could be balanced (although that's really not a good idea for many reasons) without going back to 1990 spending levels. The federal deficit is about $500-550 billion. A combination of tax-increases and spending cuts equaling that amount will balance the budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
wrong.. its called the laffer curve
You're still living in the early 1980s when the Laffer Curve could pretend to be serious economics.

For those that don't know what the Laffer Curve is, it's the relationship between tax-rates and revenue and was used in the 1980s to justify lowering tax-rates under the presumption that revenue would rise. It didn't. After Reagan signed the new tax law revenue fell dramatically to the point that Reagan had to raise taxes the following year.

There is little or no evidence to support this claim that raising taxes, unless confiscatory, lowers revenue because people want to work and earn more. History clearly shows that cutting taxes does not increase revenue. The Laffer curve is a political idea used to justify tax cuts for the rich. It is not based on sound economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:55 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
I think that having a credit cart with a credit limit in excess of $65,000 shows that someone thinks that he a highly trusted creditor. Hell I love to held in such regard by my credit card issuers.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You're still living in the early 1980s when the Laffer Curve could pretend to be serious economics.

For those that don't know what the Laffer Curve is, it's the relationship between tax-rates and revenue and was used in the 1980s to justify lowering tax-rates under the presumption that revenue would rise.

Better known to the rest of us as "voodoo economics."

(OMG! I never thought I'd be quoting Bush 41. lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections