Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,641,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Well stated. I think the cheerleaders on all sides can learn from this. I enjoy posting my views/responding to others on city-data and they are just that, a view/opinion. But I get the feeling more than a few think their pointed statements will actually sway others to vote their way. I think this kind of belief is largely naive. It all begins/end at the voting booth/card and people will decide on their own who they will vote/not vote for, not based on some CD post.

But "enthusiastic" enough to vote for her and that's all that matters in this game.
Yes, it was well-stated.

I guess I come here because I like to argue and talk politics and this gives me safe place to do it without driving my friends insane on social media.

Far from changing anyone's mind - we are simply pushing people deeper into their own ideological corners.

But, still it is fun. I just don't take it as seriously as some posters on here because I KNOW I'm not changing one mind.

I have learned things though from people on all sides of the political spectrum and that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, it was well-stated.

I guess I come here because I like to argue and talk politics and this gives me safe place to do it without driving my friends insane on social media.

Far from changing anyone's mind - we are simply pushing people deeper into their own ideological corners.

But, still it is fun. I just don't take it as seriously as some posters on here because I KNOW I'm not changing one mind.

I have learned things though from people on all sides of the political spectrum and that's a good thing.
Yes, very good points. I enjoy reading/posting myself. And as you say, I've also learned quite a bit myself researching various topics so in the end, it's educational. And sometimes a bit entertaining.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,546,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While I'm not the poster that you addressed, I am similar. I voted for Kasich in the Arkansas primary. My rationale for voting for Kasich was that among the candidates running, he was the candidate that came closest to matching my positions and personal political make-up.

That is what voters are supposed to do. While the math is interesting, and he was always a long shot to win the nomination, the point of elections is that voters get to tell those running for office, and those serving in office, who WE the voters are, what our priorities are, what direction WE want the country to take. If it's a game for you about picking the winner, rather than about you participating in the conversation, then that's certainly your right. But I think I'd rather be representing myself when I vote, expressing my political preferences, so that those who do get elected, and those who are already in office, know that there are some of us who think like this, out there.

I hear a lot of voters complaining that the people who get elected don't listen to them. Which I complain about too. But I wonder if voters are actually sending the message of what they want, if they are playing the odds about who to vote for, rather than engaging in the process of voting for who would best represent them.
Get outta mah head!!!

Seriously though, DC pretty much nailed it and replied as I would have. I've always voted Democrat but at my core have more Libertarian values. After the past eight years, I wanted to go for change. I'm not happy at all with the increasingly-progressive nature of our current gov't. I don't stand behind some more common conservative values the GOP holds dear (I'm pro-choice, gay friendly, 420-ambivalent) but I'm sick as crap of rising taxes and an expanded entitlement class. I believe STRENUOUSLY in our 1st and 2nd Amendment rights which I feel are in jeopardy. I'm not at all pro-war, but I understand the inevitability of some conflicts. I'm a supporter of our troops, but I'd like to see more of them back on domestic soil. I am not opposed to religion, but don't support fundamentalism and I'd prefer a true secular government. I'd prefer LESS government and an end to their fiscal tomfoolery. I'm pretty fed up with our current immigration status - both legal and illegal.

I voted for Kasich after listening to him speak, reading up on his background, and decided that of all the R candidates, he was the most likely to be amenable to compromise and quite frankly, has a cheerful and positive personality. He has made decisions that I do not support and I don't admire his stance on women's health and I still don't agree with some of his policies, but as DC so eloquently stated, we must all be willing to compromise our own wants when casting our vote.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,314,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You are the one who portray him as a useless Congressman who cant get anything done, l
Hes passed THREE bills in Congress in a 25 year history.. 2 of them involved naming of buildigns.

woo hoo..
Quote:
but Vermonters laugh in your face at your ignorance...They've known him for 30 years...Who do we trust....difficult...lol
And rest of america is laughing at people who support him..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,773,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
You are seemingly growing more desperate to make sense of all of this with every Sanders loss. The reality is that you're following this election with myopic eyes and have discounted anyone who doesn't think just like you.
It's hilarious the way he tries to depict Sanders as a new version of FDR.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:46 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,008,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
True, FDR would be more to the left of Sanders, but it tells us how much America is starving for these ideas.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
If I had a dime for every one of his posts that included the words "FDR", "New Deal", "straight shooter", "salt of the earth", and "puppet" I imagine Sanders as President would swipe quite a few bucks off me. lol.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,773,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well the protests were funded by MoveOn -an organization funded by George Soros- who ironically enough is massively funding Hillary Clinton's campaign. Very interesting things going on this election...
Moveon.org endorsed Sanders for president, not Hillary.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,008,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
If I had a dime for every one of his posts that included the words "FDR", "New Deal", "straight shooter", "salt of the earth", and "puppet" I imagine Sanders as President would swipe quite a few bucks off me. lol.
Not as much as the "free stuff" crowd in here. That probably includes you as well.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Not as much as the "free stuff" crowd in here. That probably includes you as well.
You: 4.03 posts per day. 2754 posts. Member of C-D for under two years.

Me: 0.61 posts per day. 1823 posts. Member of C-D for over eight years.

So I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections