Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Thanks to the OP for the link & for starting the thread.

From the link:

Emineth, also a former chairman of the North Dakota Republican Party, told "Squawk Box" in the same interview that he's concerned about party officials pulling "some shenanigan."

"You have groups of people who are going to try to take over the rules committee," he warned. "[That] could totally change everything, and mess things up with the delegates. And people across the country will be very frustrated."

As a nation, we have NO moral standing when we try to enforce/push our version of DEMOCRACY to other countries. This is a total DISGRACE!
Our version of democracy is working just fine in this election. Again, you have no constitutional right to determine a particular party's nominee for president. The parties have the constitutional right to decide their nominee any way they want, it is part of their "Freedom of Association" granted in the 1st amendment. I realize the rights of other people or groups can be inconvenient, but it is the protection of their rights that helps assure the protection of yours.

If you do not like a party's nominee or how they chose that nominee you are completely free to excise your right to vote and use it in a way that makes clear to them you don't like it.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Paraphrasing and consolidating the message from the video. Watch to the end.

The media has created the perception that the voters choose the nominee. That's the conflict here. "Then why hold the primaries?" "That's a very good question"......................

We choose the nominee, not the voters: Senior GOP official
Party elites on both sides were quite accustomed to having a lot of control over the nomination outcomes. It wasn't all that long ago that the primaries were things that only the most politically obsessed folks voted at and they tended to vote the way the party elites wanted them to. Splits in either party were virtually always due to splits in party leadership.

The world has changed and the party elites on both sides don't like it one bit. The American people are showing up at primaries and caucuses in record numbers over the last couple decades. It didn't used to be news that pulled ratings. Now it is pulling huge ratings and coverage of the process is under a microscope. At this point, it behooves both parties to make their nominating processes vastly more democratic and less elitist. It's much like the electoral college -- it's an outdated process that made sense 200+ years ago, but not anymore.

I'm sitting here watching the GOP leaders petitioning for the biggest political trainwreck since the death of the Whig Party. I honestly don't think they'll be stupid enough to go through with it ... but I guess you can never underestimate stupid people in large groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 11:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The real answer is revolution, but it will never happen.
Don't be so sure.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is the Republicans are damned if they do, damned if they don't with Trump as the nominee. If Trump hits 1,237, he SHOULD get the nomination free and clear. If not, it opens it up though if I am not mistaken Kasich and Cruz have both been on the record stating that they want no part in brokered convention. The issue is without Trump, they resign to lose because Trump's vote is likely part of that "stay at home vote" you hear about a lot on here that cost Romney (and to a lesser extent McCain.) However, with Trump, you have many Republican voters who despise him or see him for the liar he is and would never vote for him, so much so it could make it a problem for him to get elected.
If you're going to quote me I'd ask that YOU DON'T CHANGE WHAT I WROTE to fit your agenda. Either leave it as posted or don't quote it mk PUNK. Highly disrespectful...
Change in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't know that it (Drumpf getting 1237) will matter. Especially when you have the old speaker blabbing on about how he wants to put Ryan in at the convention.

This is gonna be fun to watch, it'll be interesting to see if the public has the stones to actually stand up and be heard for once or will they just bow down to the party elite while repeating the line "we've got to beat Hillbilly" to justify their actions.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trump is certainly not the great businessman he claims to be if he didn't research the rules of the game he decided to play before getting involved.
That or he thought the rules wouldn't apply to him because of his past or the fact he could have easily gotten to 1237 in his mind...

Old 03-17-2016, 02:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk The issue is the Republicans are damned if they do, damned if they don't with Trump as the nominee. If Trump hits 1,237, he SHOULD get the nomination free and clear. If not, it opens it up though if I am not mistaken Kasich and Cruz have both been on the record stating that they want no part in brokered convention.

You are mistaken. For Kasich's part, if he didn't want any part of an open convention there would be no reason for him to stay in the race, because that is the only possible way he can come away with the nomination. There is no mathematical way for him to get the delegates required to clinch it on his own.

On Cruz's part, you are right, he wants no part of an open convention because the only person the establishment might hate more than Trump, is Cruz.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
[/i]

You are mistaken. For Kasich's part, if he didn't want any part of an open convention there would be no reason for him to stay in the race, because that is the only possible way he can come away with the nomination. There is no mathematical way for him to get the delegates required to clinch it on his own.

On Cruz's part, you are right, he wants no part of an open convention because the only person the establishment might hate more than Trump, is Cruz.
Kasich has rounded up some influential people and now thinks he's got a good chance at the nomination.
His people are looking into convention rules and how they were used in the past to get people nominated.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:40 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Kasich has rounded up some influential people and now thinks he's got a good chance at the nomination.
His people are looking into convention rules and how they were used in the past to get people nominated.
Furthermore, a majority of convention delegates can exercise their discretion to amend existing rules or make up new rules.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 02:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you're going to quote me I'd ask that YOU DON'T CHANGE WHAT I WROTE to fit your agenda. Either leave it as posted or don't quote it mk PUNK. Highly disrespectful...
Change in red.
Thank the Make Donald Drumpf again ap for that. I didn't change it, the app did automatically. But I thought supporters of his were supposed to be thick-skinned people wanting us all to be.... Edit: I'll make sure I don't change your's in the future so I don't have to hear another outburst like this.

Last edited by mkpunk; 03-17-2016 at 03:21 PM..

Old 03-17-2016, 04:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is also one very good reason to never vote for another incumbent! I would also be very leery of voting for anybody that was ever endorsed by the establishment.
I think Conservatives have lost sight of who our real enemy is... It's the Democrats, not "the establishment"....

It seems this year, the Republican base is more interested in intensely fighting it's own party rather than the real opposition.

They can't see the forest for the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections