Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:54 PM

29,003 posts, read 30,445,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
RP supporters were a bunch of fence-sitters, too--namby-pamby types who just wanted to slap a Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul bumper sticker on their vehicles.

I wouldn't want one of them in my lifeboat.
them those words are ones of an extremist.....

I'm a fence sitter, only b/c I wanted to make a difference, and let them see I don't approve of either party...and I'm not a tea partier either....

I am however, a strict conservative....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 12:57 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,171,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Trump knows how it works. Im sure he and his lawyers covered every word of the papers he signed to run. Its not a whoever has the most delegates wins, thats why there is a 1,237 threshold. If no candidate reaches that, the RNC has every right to let the delegates decide who the nominee will be at the convention.
Correct. You know, whether it's DNC's superdelegates or RNC's contested convention, these rules were not implemented to stop Bernie or Mr. Trump. They have been around for a long time. The candidates knew the rules before they decided to run, and obviously have agreed to abide by, and accept, the rules.

Certainly, people can lobby to change these rules for future conventions, but I don't think it is in anyone's interest to change rules around on an ad hoc basis.

A recourse available to Mr. Trump is continuing to imply that there will be violent riots if he is not selected by the delegates. On the other hand, Bernie is chit out of luck because he is not man enough to stop being so honorable and classy.

Mick

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,232,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well then, it's time the voters realize this, b/c these crooked people thrive on the fact that we are all uninformed voters....which also brings another question into view....then what about the elections? Who decides who is voted in...b/c the last election, down in Philly, there were 3 voting facilities, which didn't have a one republican vote, which is really strange?
And counted over 100% of the vote in other Philly areas maybe including those 3 you mentioned - in other words the dead voted too.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:36 PM

991 posts, read 631,451 times
Default We choose the nominee, not the voters: Senior GOP official

Instead of everyone having to sit through almost 5 minutes of the video on the linked page .. I found the 'pertinent' (and shorter) part of the conversation on youtube to post.

Quote:
Political parties, not voters, choose their presidential nominees, a Republican convention rules member told CNBC, a day after GOP front-runner Donald Trump rolled up more big primary victories.

"The media has created the perception that the voters choose the nomination. That's the conflict here," Curly Haugland, an unbound GOP delegate from North Dakota, told CNBC's "Squawk Box" on Wednesday. He even questioned why primaries and caucuses are held.
(link to page is below the video)

We choose the nominee, not the voters: Senior GOP official

Last edited by epliny; 03-16-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:36 PM

7,196 posts, read 4,794,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
What he says is true. The voters only get to lobby the delegates to support their candidate. It is a private organization that gets the final say. I guess you could run as an independent and not rely on any delegates to get on the final ballot.
How arrogant.

This fellow reminds me of Kit Bond and his "we are America, they are not America" speech on the floor of the 1992 GOP National convention.

I have been registering Independent ever since.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:44 PM

29,558 posts, read 22,915,752 times
The hypocrisy.

Aren't these the same types of people that always whine about how politicians go against the will of the voters? Prop 187 for example.

Yet, now they see fit to go against their own 'principles.'

Old 03-16-2016, 01:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,995,641 times
Quote:
No, I think, he has got something there, think about it....

this going global moved in pretty darned fast, in the corporation world, didn't it...

There is much to be gained by it power wise....

tons of money to be made without stiff regulations and hiring slave labor in other countries....
Of course they pay them a little more, so the workers feel like they're making something, better, but not too much.....
Has it moved that fast?

When Marco Polo traveled the Silk Road, that was globalization. The American slave trade was globalization.

What's changed is transportation and communication, and I don't think it's something that can be changed back.

As for foreign workforces, the cost-benefits resolve themselves over time. In part, that's a contributory factor for China's increasingly precarious economy. The workers took advantage of the tremendous growth to obtain benefits for themselves, and now that that original pace of growth is no longer sustainable, the Chinese government is struggling to find ways to safeguard their economy.

We see that same pattern all around the world, and we are a key part of that pattern. America has exported the concept of unions and workers' rights, and that may be one of our most important exports.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,995,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
There is nothing to be afraid of. Hillary is very popular and every one likes the U.N. and wants them to solve the worlds problems. We are citizens of the world and rather confined to it. We will gladly support this plan that has been in the works by the worlds elite because they know what is best for us. It's foolish to resist and people will, in the end, embrace that concept.
Fear-mongering and sarcasm...

Old 03-16-2016, 01:59 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,357,128 times
Quote:
well then, it's time the voters realize this, b/c these crooked people thrive on the fact that we are all uninformed voters....which also brings another question into view....then what about the elections? Who decides who is voted in...b/c the last election, down in Philly, there were 3 voting facilities, which didn't have a one republican vote, which is really strange?[
Philly is a majority minority city and most minorities are Democrats. Go to any majority minority urban city and you are unlikely to find many Republican voters.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:07 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,061,871 times
Just watched this.

Un-freakin-believable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections