Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 06:37 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,268,598 times

Advertisements

He could go with someone like Tulsi Gabbard, yes a democrat, but outside the establishment democrats.

I believe the only reason Trump is likely to get the nomination is that republicans are sick of establishment politicians. That would really upset the old GOP. But they seem out of touch anyway.

I believe the only reason that Sanders received so much attention is that democrats are sick of establishment politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 06:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,544,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
his short list should be Herman Cain or Susana Martinez

Cain brings another business man who has gone thru a presidential race before and Martinez is a border governor who has had a fight with illegal immigration, is female and is Hispanic.
Martinez ticks some boxes but so did Sarah Palin. Martinez is not ready for prime time.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:59 PM

17,447 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
C'mon Guys. Trump said the exact type he would pick:

The first sentence rules out Carly Fiorina, Carl Icahnn, Herman Cain and any other business person. He's telling you he already has that experience himself.

The second bolded item rules out governors, mayors, generals and points to him picking someone with Capitol Hill experience. It also eliminates Cruz who can't help with getting legislation through since everyone hates him. The Vice President is technically the liaison between Capitol Hill and The White House.

Of the candidates, my money is still on Rubio who has ironically demonstrated he can play well with both sides as part of the Gang of 8 plus, he's already giving up his Senate seat. The establishment could warm to Trump if he picks Rubio. Rubio would gain the executive experience he lacks making him a better candidate down the road (he's young). Rubio would be an asset on foreign affairs based on what he knows as a member of the Foreign Relations Committee. VP is one of the few jobs where the President benefits by what the VP knows rather than what the VP has done. The Vice President follows the agenda of the President.

Trump could go old school, I suppose.

Paul Ryan would be a mistake and he did nothing for Romney.
You are singing my song - Trump actually knows about more Foreign Interests than I initially gave him credit for .... he has Business interests all over the World. He ABSOLUTELY has to have a good (really good) Liaison with Congress - the history of the Laws, the Poison Pills and HOW it all happens. He is not, and has never been .... an Elected Official that knows HOW to pass Legislation and HOW it all works with PAST Legislation.

Paul Ryan could do it - and the 2012 Election was more about the "Morman Romney than Ryan. Marco Rubio could probably also do it (although he doesn't have the "history" part knowledge). Ted Cruz can't even work with the Current Congress ..... much less have a knowledge of Past Legislation. Lindsay Graham could probably do it and it's a sure thing that a Rick Santorum could do it (I don't care for his Social Politics, but he passed some great Legislation). Kusich could probably do it ...... he was "short list" for John McCain as VP.

I think a few Governors probably have a really good background on how the system works, as do a few people who have been involved in Government for Decades ... like maybe Bob Gates.

All in All ...... I agree that it's more likely that the VP choice will be a current or past Congress Critter.
Problem is that many of them have set their boats on fire. Kasich is well positioned and I don't think that is by accident.

It won't matter to the "Anyone But Trump" coalition ...... which is pretty much everyone on the GOP side and the DNC side. It's the most unusual Election season I've ever seen.

We are watching History being made. If you are not paying close attention - get with the program so you can tell your Grandchildren ..... "I was there, and remember how it all happened".

Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,544,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It won't matter to the "Anyone But Trump" coalition ...... which is pretty much everyone on the GOP side and the DNC side.
Not the DNC side, they're ecstatic at the prospect of a Trump candidacy!

Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 PM

891 posts, read 1,056,056 times
Trump/Anus 2016!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peBlENsBfls

Old 03-19-2016, 06:54 AM

17,447 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Not the DNC side, they're ecstatic at the prospect of a Trump candidacy!
I know they are - the DNC was "ecstatic" about Ronald Reagan (the old actor) also -- they failed to read the Tea LeavesAmerican people. You can say the same about the Republicans in 2008 - they wanted Obama instead of Clinton. Rush Limbaugh even told listeners to vote for Obama in primaries to keep Clinton from getting the nomination.

Again .... the Republicans failed to read the tea leaves/American people, just as the Democrats did in 1983. There are only 2 candidates this election that are drawing the massive crowds and enthusiasm.

Bernie Sanders & Donald Trump. Both more independent than party and both saying what people are thinking. The DNC is going to have a problem when they kick Sanders out of the primary to Crown the Queen. What will all those Kiddos do?

Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 AM

20,128 posts, read 16,183,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
C'mon Guys. Trump said the exact type he would pick:

The first sentence rules out Carly Fiorina, Carl Icahnn, Herman Cain and any other business person. He's telling you he already has that experience himself.

The second bolded item rules out governors, mayors, generals and points to him picking someone with Capitol Hill experience. It also eliminates Cruz who can't help with getting legislation through since everyone hates him. The Vice President is technically the liaison between Capitol Hill and The White House.

Of the candidates, my money is still on Rubio who has ironically demonstrated he can play well with both sides as part of the Gang of 8 plus, he's already giving up his Senate seat. The establishment could warm to Trump if he picks Rubio. Rubio would gain the executive experience he lacks making him a better candidate down the road (he's young). Rubio would be an asset on foreign affairs based on what he knows as a member of the Foreign Relations Committee. VP is one of the few jobs where the President benefits by what the VP knows rather than what the VP has done. The Vice President follows the agenda of the President.

Trump could go old school, I suppose.

Paul Ryan would be a mistake and he did nothing for Romney.
I agree with you and with your assessment. Rubio would be the ideal pick of Trump's VP for the reasons you list and more. Rubio's strengths quell many of Trump's weaknesses and his weaknesses as a potential president are not an issue as VP. A month ago I would have said that's who Trump was considering and that it was the next step Rubio would take. Now, I'm not so sure given how ugly things got. Interestingly, as thin skinned as Trump is, I think Rubio is who would be the one refusing to do it. Trump is all about winning, so if he needs to get over his spat with Rubio to win, he would. Rubio also wants to win but he has his limits to at what cost.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 12,127,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
No one wants to see your profile pic.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:35 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,676,471 times
The love child of Sarah Palin and a moose.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 03-19-2016 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 08:12 PM

208 posts, read 236,285 times
Trump knew who his VP would be the day he announced his candidacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections