Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:35 PM

39,117 posts, read 51,366,781 times

Advertisements

The odds of a Trump win are rather low by everyone's estimate. Republicans would be well advised to consider the old adage about a bird in the hand. The guy they got is pretty tame compared to the guy they could get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 03:08 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,687,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I really don't think the decision is down to the race of the president. Come on. (or were you being sarcastic?)
So why do you think the Repugs have tried to block EVERTHING Obama has proposed for the last 7 years?
Why did Mitch McConnell proclaim that his only job was to make sure Obama was a one term President?

Old 03-16-2016, 04:21 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,851,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
So why do you think the Repugs have tried to block EVERTHING Obama has proposed for the last 7 years?
Why did Mitch McConnell proclaim that his only job was to make sure Obama was a one term President?

Because they were racist against Obama's white half?

Old 03-16-2016, 04:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:
They have refused Obama's choice for supreme court Justice, in favor of voting after this next presidential election.

If they were planning on a contested convention and defaulting to Hillary by offering up one of their unpopular establishment choices, there would be no need to wait until after this presidential election to vote. This tells me they find it extremely important to put a conservative judge in there. They are assuming they will win the presidency.

The only way they will win the next presidency is if they coalesce behind the frontrunner who has a high crossover appeal.

It's my belief with this move, they have decided to embrace Trump as their potential nominee.
The Dems did it back in 1992 and it was ok then.
The Dems also did it in 1960 and it was ok then.
But not now when the Repubs do the same thing ?

Old 03-16-2016, 04:25 PM

30,372 posts, read 23,836,139 times
Quote:
They have refused Obama's choice for supreme court Justice, in favor of voting after this next presidential election.

If they were planning on a contested convention and defaulting to Hillary by offering up one of their unpopular establishment choices, there would be no need to wait until after this presidential election to vote. This tells me they find it extremely important to put a conservative judge in there. They are assuming they will win the presidency.

The only way they will win the next presidency is if they coalesce behind the frontrunner who has a high crossover appeal.

It's my belief with this move, they have decided to embrace Trump as their potential nominee.
I wish I could agree with you, but I think they are too stupid to realize what they are doing. I'll just quote myself from this thread Contested Convention - Republican's Ace in the Hole rather than type it all out again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And they will not win an election for a very long time after, either. They are so concerned about getting a Conservative Supreme Court Judge, but they aren't thinking. As people have said, we still have a Congress. Trump won't be able to do everything that he wants to do...or does he know things that THEY know but we don't? If Trump is such a joke, as they said in the beginning, then surely they have enough faith in the government to have checks and balances and not be so fearful of a president doing whatever he wants. Right?

The question that I keep asking is: WHY are they so afraid of him? Posters on here claim that Trump "can't do" what he wants...so then what is the problem? Why the fear? Surely if he "can't do" what he says he wants to do, as people claim, then there should be no fear of him being elected. We all survived Obama (barely) for almost 8 years, surely a harmless "joke" like Trump would be nothing to worry about. Right?

They aren't thinking, and they are going to throw everything to the Democrats for a very, very long time if they go to a Contested Convention and go against the will of the majority of the people.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 PM

14,517 posts, read 20,746,978 times
Quote:
Why not. It may be their best way out. If Trump wins the nomination, go ahead and give it to him. If he loses to Clinton, regroup and be ready to go in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections