Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:57 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,131,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't know if you're old enough to remember when the voting age was 21. I was unable to vote until after I graduated college in '72. (guess I just gave away my age!) Everyone expected a high turnout of young voters in November and said that, based on history, they'd support the liberal candidate. Nixon won a second term in 1972. So I guess my answer is, ya never know. By the way, I wish I still had my "Don't Blame Me, I'm From Massachusetts" bumper sticker.
Somebody just gave me a "Yeah, I am an Mass.hole" bumper sticker . . . .

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 06:00 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,131,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would anyone care about blanket statements being made about law breakers? We're supposed to be sensitive towards them? There are plenty of viable stats about their proving that they are a huge net burden to our society, have taken jobs from blue-collared Americans and their crime rates. They have no right to come here or to work here even if they otherwise keep their noses clean. Why would statements made about illegal aliens upset Latino citizens? Hmm.

Wait a minute? We don't want more "immigrants"? Um no, we don't want any more illegal aliens. We don't have to close the border to bring in legal immigrants just secure it so the illegal kind can't get in. I haven't seen any statements that weren't the truth or were exaggerated about illegal aliens and it has nothing to do with bigotry. It's about our laws and the negative impact that illegal aliens have on our society in so many ways.
Quote:
Many Hispanics have an unfavorable view of Trump simply because he wants our immigration laws enforced and they think their illegal amigos should be above those laws and rewarded for breaking them. But we should legalize them instead and even make citizens out of them with that same mindset? I don't think so!
Quote:
I disagree. So let's say you left your door unlocked whether it was intentional or not and a burgler came into your home and stole all your stuff. The burgler is not guilty of anything because of the negligence of the home owner? I don't think so!
I don't disagree with a lot stuff you wrote, actually.

But you are arguing how things should be, and I am stating how things are . . . . in the minds of these folks seeking citizenship.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,282,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Oh, but Mr. Trump said he would deport every single one of the 12 million illegals in this country. He means it, doesn't he? Things are going to be different under POTUS Trump, no?
Is that the LAW already in the books? if you enter this country ILLEGALLY the law says you must deport the illegal Alien......the law doesn't say for the exception of Grandma or if there are 12 million illegals the law doesn't apply.

Trump is not making law, that was Congress who made immigration laws, Trump would be enforcing federal law which is his power under the Constitution as President.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that there is no way for the grandma to legally obtain a green card after entering and staying in the US without legal documents. That would make zero sense.

Mick
Is Grandma a citizen of her native country? so she has LEGAL documents she can get from her country by mail to apply for a GREEN CARD here. She can even go to the embassy of her country in the U.S. to get those legal documents that shows who she is and with that she can apply for a Green Card.

why is it hard to get a green card?....... you may be eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) through your family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, or a number of other special provisions. In some cases, you may even be able to self petition or have a record created for permanent residence on your behalf. In general, to meet the requirements for permanent residence in the United States.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...rd-eligibility

There is NO excuse for a foreign national who entered our country ILLEGALLY and for decades being here that person has DONE nothing to make himself legal by applying for a Green Card under multiple provisions........the problem is NOT Trump wanting to enforce the laws.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 PM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I said I don't blame them SOLELY.

Well I pretty much do. They know damned well that coming here illegally is against the law. They know that working here without authorization is against the law and they know damned well that they are taking a job from an American. They also know damned well that using a fake or stolen ID is against the law and the list goes on and on. They are well aware that they are taking advantage that there are citizens among us (mainly employers) who are breaking the law by hiring them also. So they are willing accomplices.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:56 PM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Is that the LAW already in the books? if you enter this country ILLEGALLY the law says you must deport the illegal Alien......the law doesn't say for the exception of Grandma or if there are 12 million illegals the law doesn't apply.

Trump is not making law, that was Congress who made immigration laws, Trump would be enforcing federal law which is his power under the Constitution as President.

Is Grandma a citizen of her native country? so she has LEGAL documents she can get from her country by mail to apply for a GREEN CARD here. She can even go to the embassy of her country in the U.S. to get those legal documents that shows who she is and with that she can apply for a Green Card.

why is it hard to get a green card?....... you may be eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) through your family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, or a number of other special provisions. In some cases, you may even be able to self petition or have a record created for permanent residence on your behalf. In general, to meet the requirements for permanent residence in the United States.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...rd-eligibility

There is NO excuse for a foreign national who entered our country ILLEGALLY and for decades being here that person has DONE nothing to make himself legal by applying for a Green Card under multiple provisions........the problem is NOT Trump wanting to enforce the laws.

Exactly! You'll never convince these pro-illegals of anything that is common sense and logic though or any facts you put out there. All they care about is wanting these illegals to remain here. They care nothing about our immigration laws. Many times it's an ethnic tribal mentality that trumps (no pun intended) our immigration laws for their group. Disgusting, IMO.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
AGAIN! FANTASTIC! Look, Trump isn't even president yet and all these people are becoming LEGAL CITIZENS! This is great!
Nothing new here.

Any and all green card holders may apply for naturalization after 5 years.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times
Quote:
Well I pretty much do. They know damned well that coming here illegally is against the law. They know that working here without authorization is against the law and they know damned well that they are taking a job from an American. They also know damned well that using a fake or stolen ID is against the law and the list goes on and on. They are well aware that they are taking advantage that there are citizens among us (mainly employers) who are breaking the law by hiring them also. So they are willing accomplices.
I've written thousands of posts on the political forum since I joined C-D 9 years ago, but I rarely discuss immigration. I guess it's liberal guilt on my part. My heart breaks hearing stories about divided families, but they came here illegally. I can't just move to another country and take up residence because they have laws.

By the way, when I renewed my license, I had to show a Social Security card, my birth certificate with the raised seal and 2 proofs of residency. I know married women who had to show their marriage certificates because their names didn't match their birth certificates. Yet in many states, an undocumented worker without a Social Security card can get a driver's license. So, in other words, it's harder for a U.S. Citizen to get a license, depending on where you live. In fact, my Social Security card was laminated, so I had to apply for a new one. These laws specifically refer to undocumented workers who cannot show proof of lawful presence in the United States.

[URL="http://www.ncsl.org/research/immigration/states-offering-driver-s-licenses-to-immigrants.aspx"]STATES OFFERING DRIVER’S LICENSES TO IMMIGRANTS[/URL]

Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
AGAIN! FANTASTIC! Look, Trump isn't even president yet and all these people are becoming LEGAL CITIZENS! This is great!
Well, if they are in the U.S. legally, why not? Many people are legal resident aliens who have been waiting to get U.S. citizenship. I don't see the problem.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:46 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,478,202 times
Quote:
So CNN had a segment just now about Latino green card holders applying for naturalization in record numbers now in time to vote against Mr. Trump. The applications are up 14.5% over comparable period last year. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these eligible immigrants in each of the swing states like AZ, CO, FL, etc. The immigrants they showed applying for citizenship weren't just from Mexico . . . .Colombia, Cuba . . . . they didn't have nice things to say about Mr. Trump, as expected.

I'm quite surprised that there are so many eligible immigrants in swing states (I thought they were mostly concentrated in Blue States), and that green card holders are actually taking steps to obtain US citizenship (which would lead in most cases to their forced abandonment of their original citizenship . . . . i.e., it's a drastic step). And, it's safe to say that these folks are guaranteed to turnout at 100% if they go through all this effort and money to naturalize just to vote against Mr. Trump.

Mr. Trump may end up costing GOP the Senate, as a large number of Latinos become eligible to vote in the election.

Do you think it would affect the outcome, or are they still immaterial in number?

Mick
Something doesn't smell right here, Mick(no, it's not me). So we supposedly have a bunch of latinos who dislike/fear a trump presidency and for this reason, one of the primary goals in their life is to apply for naturalization so they can vote against said person they are against, eh? And the primary reason for this surge is to vote against trump, no other reasons of course? Sure.

And here's the clincher.....why bother doing such a thing in the first place? Illegals can move to many states and vote where they are not required to show any ID.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2_graphic.html

Washington Post state voter ID chart

The state-by-state voter ID chart being distributed by Democratic organizations to illegal immigrants. Chart/image courtesy of the Washington Post.

What a handy chart, yes? Bless their hearts, providing this document in such a neat form that shows where illegals/non-citizens can easily vote in many states without showing any ID. Does this fall under hope and change btw?

In the end, unless any candidate offers some form of making it ok for illegals to remain, lots of this group with friends/family who are illegals won't vote for said candidate no matter who the candidate is. That certainly is a nice message to send to all the people who come here legally, waited the often long amount of time to get here, the money involved, played by the rules, etc. I bet there are, in big letters, "SUCKER!" t-shirts available for those playing by the rules at the next rally for many candidates who favor this kind of illegals ok type thinking. oh, and I'm betting clown hat and makeup available at some rally's too, reminding them in an even stronger format the suckers they really are in being law abiding citizens.

*< )

Old 03-17-2016, 11:11 PM

20,097 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Quote:
Ever turn in your illegal co-workers? As in calling immigration. Curious.

Mick
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections