Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,968,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
And here's the clincher.....why bother doing such a thing in the first place? Illegals can move to many states and vote where they are not required to show any ID.
If this were true, I'd agree with you. However, millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent trying to find these people (since voter fraud is a felony) and they don't exist. I recently read a ludicrous article suggesting that illegals affect the number of delegates in a state which is why Hillary has a big advantage over a Republican nominee. So far, the only candidate who has ever won the presidency without getting the popular vote was George W. Bush.

When I lived in Florida, many registered voters received letters asking them to prove they weren't committing fraud. Gov Rick Scott began his effort to purge over 100,000 legally registered voters from the state's records. The U.S. Justice Dept filed a lawsuit since he was violating Federal Law. The counties that were targeted had a high number of minorities. Supposedly 50 cases of illegal voter registration were discovered but investigations showed most of those people had not committed fraud.

As always, Republicans cry foul whenever they think there's a chance they'll lose the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 11:25 PM

30,342 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nothing new here.

Any and all green card holders may apply for naturalization after 5 years.
I know that, but they are blaming Trump for all these people applying for citizenship, so I took it and spun it in the complete opposite direction. Spinning can be done both ways.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 PM

30,342 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, if they are in the U.S. legally, why not? Many people are legal resident aliens who have been waiting to get U.S. citizenship. I don't see the problem.
Per that particular article, they were claiming that the lady had been here for a long time and never saw any need to become a citizen. According to the article, because of Trump, she's now suddenly desiring citizenship, along with other family members. As stated above, the story can be spun both ways...so if the media wants to pretend that this is new, and blame it on Trump, I'm going to spin it and give Trump credit. Isn't this fun?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,998,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What "tone on Hispanics"? This has been repeated on and on ad nauseum---when Trump was referring to "rapists" and "murderers", he was referring to some illegal aliens. He clarified that, too. Hate to burst your bubble, Mick, but not all illegals are sneaking across the border "just to work". Many actually do sneak across with very bad intentions. And not all illegal aliens are Hispanic.

I'm of Hispanic descent and I have no problems with his immigration policy.

I've told this story before---maybe you didn't see it? My daughter has a co-worker from Latin America who is a naturalized citizen and he supports Trump. Everyday one of the Hillary or Bernie supporters at work tell him that Trump is going to throw him out of the country. He laughs at them, like he should.
Then why are 90% of Hispanics in this country offended at the rhetoric of Donald Trump?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:28 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,484,992 times
Quote:
If this were true, I'd agree with you. However, millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent trying to find these people (since voter fraud is a felony) and they don't exist. I recently read an article from 2015 about illegals affecting the number of delegates and why Hillary has a big advantage over a Republican nominee. So far, the only candidate who has ever won the presidency without getting the popular vote was George W. Bush.

When I lived in Florida, legally registered residents received letters asking them to prove they weren't committing fraud. Gov Rick Scott began his effort to purge over 100,000 registered voters from the state's records. The counties that he targeted had a high number of minorities. Supposedly 50 cases of illegal voter registration were discovered but investigations showed most people were confused when they applied for their driver's licenses.

As always, Republicans cry foul whenever they think there's a chance they'll lose the election.
Some states indeed are tougher on the issue, yes. But looking at the chart, 20 states are lax on the matter and require no ID to vote and I think that's the big takeaway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2_graphic.html

Washington Post state voter ID chart

The state-by-state voter ID chart being distributed by Democratic organizations to illegal immigrants. Chart/image courtesy of the Washington Post.

Yes, some on the republican side cater to the illegal vote and I think it's very, very wrong, a major slap in the face to those who play by the rules.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,968,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes, some on the republican side cater to the illegal vote and I think it's very, very wrong, a major slap in the face to those who play by the rules.
I do agree that everyone should show a photo ID. I don't see why it's a big deal. I only get upset when politicians try to make it difficult for citizens to vote. There are people who have a tough time getting all the required documents, depending on the state.

By the way, this is what I was talking about in my last post.

[URL="http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/91-Year-Old-WWII-Veteran-Accused-Of-Ineligible-Voting.html"]91-Year-Old WWII Veteran Accused Of Ineligible Voting
[/URL]

Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 AM

63,062 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Then why are 90% of Hispanics in this country offended at the rhetoric of Donald Trump?

Simple, because they want amnesty for their illegal amigos and Trump brought out the truth about many of them. They tried to claim that he was speaking about Hispanic citizens and those here legally also to bolster their agenda in my first sentence. Anyone with half a brain would know what they were up to.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:14 AM

63,062 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
I've written thousands of posts on the political forum since I joined C-D 9 years ago, but I rarely discuss immigration. I guess it's liberal guilt on my part. My heart breaks hearing stories about divided families, but they came here illegally. I can't just move to another country and take up residence because they have laws.

By the way, when I renewed my license, I had to show a Social Security card, my birth certificate with the raised seal and 2 proofs of residency. I know married women who had to show their marriage certificates because their names didn't match their birth certificates. Yet in many states, an undocumented worker without a Social Security card can get a driver's license. So, in other words, it's harder for a U.S. Citizen to get a license, depending on where you live. In fact, my Social Security card was laminated, so I had to apply for a new one. These laws specifically refer to undocumented workers who cannot show proof of lawful presence in the United States.

STATES OFFERING DRIVER’S LICENSES TO IMMIGRANTS

They aren't "immigrants" nor are they undocumented. They are illegal aliens according to our immigration law terminology.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:29 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,134,823 times
The issue was picking on certain groups of illegals-- nothing said of the Asian or polish or Canadians-illegals he may NOT be a racist himself- but his rhetoric has pulled the racist together and made platform for votes. He gets it-- the FEAR will bring them together and if he promises to calm that fear he's got the vote... He is a numbers man- and as he said, could say shoot a person still get voted because he knows the mentality. Some here understand politics- polices and the difference of illegal vs legal-- sheepoples only know the what their eyes show them, this is why it is dangerous. That man who was arrested for hitting the protestor at the Trump rally-said- he deserved it and would do it again! --and how many will agree?

Old 03-18-2016, 08:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I can only speculate, but:

1. You would have rights almost identical to that of a citizen once you obtain permanent residency . . . other than the ability to vote and be considered for certain governmental jobs (there are also some nuanced differences, like eligibility to receive entitlements);

2. In many cases, my understanding is that you would have to renounce your original citizenship once you get naturalized in the US (in other words, for most countries, you cannot legally retain double citizenship after naturalization).

3. So, considering you have almost all of the same rights and obligations of a citizens when you have a green card, the loss of the original citizenship is a big consideration.

I know #3 would be a difficult concept for some to swallow, so let me put it this way:

* Let's say you have been working in France for a number of years, and you love everything about it;

* You intend to live in France until you die, and consider obtaining French citizenship;

* But you learn that you can't retain both US and French citizenship;

* You are a true American. How would you feel about renouncing US citizenship? If being an American is a large part of who you are, this would sure be a tough decision, wouldn't it? Regardless of how great America might be, we all have our identity tied to a large degree to where we were born and where we grew up, and the language we speak. Kinda like, once an American, always an American.

Mick
The US naturalization process requires an oath of loyalty to the US which is not the same as requiring formal renunciation of citizenship of another country.

Some countries do not allow renunciation of citizenship.

France changed their laws in 2009 and allows dual citizenship which had been banned since the early 70's.

Some countries recognize citizenship by descent of a grandparent.

Both Canada and the US recognize birthright citizenship. ( Cruz recently renunciated his birthright Canadian citizenship) .

Many countries deem the children of citizens born elsewhere to be citizens.

The relatively few ( as a percentage of all) US citizens who renunciate their US citizenship do so because they have lived offshore for a significant period of time ( typically decades) and hold dual citizenships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections