Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:23 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,481,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This is why Trumpf's attempts to clarify his "Mexicans = rapists" comments generally fall on deaf ears, and it's a big reason why he's as popular as a paper cut with Latino voters.

It's not just Trump, it's his supporters.
And we don't care what illegal lovers think or want. They are so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. They are only trying to make things worse in this country and you are supporting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,946,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would anyone care about blanket statements being made about law breakers? We're supposed to be sensitive towards them? There are plenty of viable stats about their proving that they are a huge net burden to our society, have taken jobs from blue-collared Americans and their crime rates. They have no right to come here or to work here even if they otherwise keep their noses clean. Why would statements made about illegal aliens upset Latino citizens? Hmm.

Wait a minute? We don't want more "immigrants"? Um no, we don't want any more illegal aliens. We don't have to close the border to bring in legal immigrants just secure it so the illegal kind can't get in. I haven't seen any statements that weren't the truth or were exaggerated about illegal aliens and it has nothing to do with bigotry. It's about our laws and the negative impact that illegal aliens have on our society in so many ways.
It is not possible for an illegal immigrant to " take" a job away from blue- collared Americans.

Some employers, typically small businesses, choose to hire illegal immigrants over Americans because they percieve they will get a better bang for the $. Only a handful of states have mandated e-Verify of all employees. Why is this? Why does the US Chamber of Commerce lobby oppose e-Verify?

Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Many Hispanics have an unfavorable view of Trump simply because he wants our immigration laws enforced and they think their illegal amigos should be above those laws and rewarded for breaking them. But we should legalize them instead and even make citizens out of those with that same mindset? I don't think so! It has nothing to do with some supposed perception on the part of Hispanics of those here legally or that are citizens of our country. It's simply what I said in my first sentence. Trump has no issue with Hispanics here legally and they know it. They are just making excuses when we all know what their real agenda is. Remain in denial if you wish.
Trump has promised to make it easier to legally work in the US.

Deportation of 12 million and making it easier for non- citizens to legally work in the US will require Congress to act and fund. Congress, not POTUS, controls the purse strings.

Congress seems substantially more disposed towards massive immigration bills that go nowhere instead of something simple like mandating e-Verify of all employees.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I disagree. So let's say you left your door unlocked whether it was intentional or not and a burgler came into your home and stole all your stuff. The burgler is not guilty of anything because of the negligence of the home owner? I don't think so!
Are illegal immigrants holding guns to the heads of employers demanding them to give up their jobs or else?

Do not some employers specifically recruit illegal employees?

In many areas, illegal immigrants hang out in Home Depot ( and similar) parking lots in the early morning hours waiting for employers to pick them up for day labor.

Time to repeat my roof story:

I needed a new roof. I interviewed many, many roofers and made clear I required a certificate of insurance naming me as an additional insured and if they used undocumented workers to perform any part of the job, the contract would be null and void. Amazing how all but one never got back to me. The outfit I hired was a local father and son. The job took substantially longer because it was just the two of them versus the army of uninsured illegal workers typically deployed by their competition to finish the job in a day.

Most end consumers do not have an interest in who performs the work so long as they get the best price.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:26 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,306,662 times
Why would an ILLEGAL Alien who has been in our country for years ILLEGALLY refuse to apply for a green card since all you need is LEGAL documents from your NATIVE country that shows who you are. The illegal Alien can bring that when he entered this country illegal, by mail from their government of his country or he can go to his country's embassy in the U.S. to get legal documents to show who they are.

applying for a Green card is not hard. You may be eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) through your family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, or a number of other special provisions. In some cases, you may even be able to self petition or have a record created for permanent residence on your behalf. In general, to meet the requirements for permanent residence in the United States.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...rd-eligibility

but MILLIONS still refuse and defy our laws in our own country.........and the REASON is they have no LOYALTY to our country and laws and there are exceptions to getting GREEN CARD in the U.S.

Quote:
There are many grounds of inadmissibility that could potentially cause someone to be ineligible to become a permanent resident. For instance, there are health-related, criminal, security-related, and other grounds USCIS must consider.
The MAJORITY of ILLEGAL Aliens fall under one or more of those categories and they would NEVER get approved for a GREEN CARD, that's why they won't bother to apply and will continue to ignore our laws until congress gives them amnesty.

We have many ILLEGAL Aliens who are criminals, they either have a criminal record in their native country that they don't want us to know and/or a criminal record here.

There is NO excuse for an ILLEGAL ALIEN to be in this country ILLEGALLY for years to NOT apply for a GREEN CARD like the law demands, unless they are hiding something.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Is that the LAW already in the books? if you enter this country ILLEGALLY the law says you must deport the illegal Alien......the law doesn't say for the exception of Grandma or if there are 12 million illegals the law doesn't apply.

Trump is not making law, that was Congress who made immigration laws, Trump would be enforcing federal law which is his power under the Constitution as President.
According to the ICE webpage, they employ 20,000 people in 400 US offices and in 48 different countries.
Their primary responsibility is apprehension of criminal aliens. 20,000 employees ( don't know how many are agents with authority to apprehend versus administrative support) vs an estimated 12 million undocumented aliens, most of whom are law abiding people does not sound like a level playing field.

Congress determines due process which includes the right to agree to voluntarily deport or an attorney, an appearance bond ( because there is no room and budget for jailing) the right to appeal an appearance bond, a trial and an appeal of the outcome.

At any point in the process the illegal alien can flee, often to another state, and many do. If apprehended the consequence is no more serious than if they had stayed put.

20,000 ICE employees in the world, not all of whom are engaged in apprehension vs. and estimated 12 million illegals in the US. People wonder why ICE does not take action to locate those who were legally in the US and overstayed their visas and might be just about anywhere

The US could increase the number of ICE employees and offices by ten fold and still not put a dent in the numbers of illegals in the US.

The Immigration Courts have been back logged since forever. The US could increase the number of judges and admin employees and courts by ten- fold and still not put a dent in deportation of 12 million illegal aliens.

The jail space to detain illegals pending trial is seriously inadequate. The US could increase the number of jails by ten- fold and still not put a dent in deportation of 12 million illegal aliens.

It requires multiple acts of Congress to change due process and Congress would need to approve funding to increase ICE/ infrastructure, Immigration Courts/ Judges and admin, increase the number of jails and all that entails including the feeding and medical care of inmates awaiting trial, appeal and deportation.

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked with the housing bubble. In that time, it has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority, the immigration can was kicked to the future.
30 years of doing nothing was no accident.

Trump can't do anything relative to immigration unless a majority of Congress plays ball, changes laws and processes and authorizes the massive funding and expansion of the federal government.

As we know, Congress does not give unless they get. Pork, Pork, Pork. Once the party, any party, takes a stand, they use their muscle to fight dissenters in vulnerable primaries.

So long as politicians, media and the people continue to view Immigration through partisan lenses, nothing happens. And that's no accident.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
And we don't care what illegal lovers think or want. They are so unimportant in the grand scheme of things. They are only trying to make things worse in this country and you are supporting them.
So immigrants coming to the U.S. are doing so to make things worse? Why would poor desperate people have such a motivation?

Of course, the real reason they come is opportunity, you know, what we preach about.

By the way, the estimate for deporting 11 million people is between $400-$600 billion. So, add Trump's tax-plan's deficit of $1 trillion to the current $500 billion deficit plus the cost of deportation, we get a record $2 trillion dollar deficit.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So immigrants coming to the U.S. are doing so to make things worse? Why would poor desperate people have such a motivation?

Of course, the real reason they come is opportunity, you know, what we preach about.

By the way, the estimate for deporting 11 million people is between $400-$600 billion. So, add Trump's tax-plan's deficit of $1 trillion to the current $500 billion deficit plus the cost of deportation, we get a record $2 trillion dollar deficit.
everything you said in that last paragraph is untrue. Also, what I said is people who stand behind illegal immigration are the ones making it worse. I don't have one iota of caring for anyone who supports illegal immigration. I just don't care about them. You included.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:56 AM

14,268 posts, read 19,011,091 times
During the 20+ years I lived in Florida, I worked in many different fields. Once I spent a short time working for a mortgage broker. The manager looked surprised when I asked how illegals could get mortgages. I quit after only a few weeks, because they were dishonest and unethical, but I never realized that people living & working here illegally can get mortgages. I thought it was just one of those false rumors spread about them. That was several years ago, but I guess it's a common practice.

[url=http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/american-dream-undocumented]The American Dream, undocumented | MSNBC[/url]

Old 03-18-2016, 11:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
everything you said in that last paragraph is untrue. Also, what I said is people who stand behind illegal immigration are the ones making it worse. I don't have one iota of caring for anyone who supports illegal immigration. I just don't care about them. You included.
Telling us that you don't care presumes that others think that your caring or not is important.

You said my estimates on what it would cost to deport 11 million people is untrue. You should know by now that I don't just pull numbers from the air. This is from Rus Berman in the Atlantic: The Conservative Case Against Enforcing Immigration Law

Quote:
Removing all 11.2 million undocumented immigrants, both forcibly and through Mitt Romney's infamous "self-deportation" policy, would take about 20 years and cost the government between $400 billion and $600 billion. The impact on the economy would be even larger, according to the study: Real GDP would drop by nearly $1.6 trillion and the policy would shave 5.7 percent off economic growth.

the Center for American Progress, a mass deportation strategy would cost an average of $10,070 per person, for a total of $114 billion to remove 11.3 million people.

The conservative American Action Forum, or AAF, has argued that it would take 20 years to accomplish a mass deportation program, with a full cost between $420 billion and $620 billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections