Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:26 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,171,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US naturalization process requires an oath of loyalty to the US which is not the same as requiring formal renunciation of citizenship of another country.

Some countries do not allow renunciation of citizenship.

France changed their laws in 2009 and allows dual citizenship which had been banned since the early 70's.

Some countries recognize citizenship by descent of a grandparent.

Both Canada and the US recognize birthright citizenship. ( Cruz recently renunciated his birthright Canadian citizenship) .

Many countries deem the children of citizens born elsewhere to be citizens.

The relatively few ( as a percentage of all) US citizens who renunciate their US citizenship do so because they have lived offshore for a significant period of time ( typically decades) and hold dual citizenships.
Yes, as I understand it, the US doesn't independently verify that you've renounced your original citizenship.

However, many countries does not allow you to retain citizenship when you get naturalized in another country subsequently. I know this for fact.

Of course, most countries allow dual citizenship obtained upon birth (as opposed to naturalization), but we are talking about people who will be naturalized at some point after birth. Even where dual citizenship by birth is allowed, some countries say that you must pick a country and renounce the other by age 21.

I am not sure if we are saying anything different.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,171,682 times
Alright, so I keep seeing posts from people who have obviously not read other posts regarding how long it takes to obtain citizenship.

First, there is enough time for many even if they apply now, as it takes around 6 months for many.

Second, why are you assuming that these immigrants had not started the application process previously? Mr. Trump's controversial statements about the Mexicans were uttered in June of last year, like 9 months ago.

Lastly, you must be assuming that these green card holders are idiots . . . because otherwise why would they be applying if it won't be timely for the intended purpose? I'm sure they ask how long it would take to become a citizen before they start the process.

It costs hundreds of dollars to apply, takes a lot of time to collect tons of documents, make appointments for biometrics and citizenship test, study for the citizenship test and attend the swearing ceremony. Are Hispanic permanent residents known to be really stupid? I dunno.

Mick

Old 03-18-2016, 05:45 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,306,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Why do you think that I am arguing for illegal immigration. I certainly am not. But my point is, it doesn't matter what you or I think -- the Hispanics, legal or not, will feel how they feel, and will do what they will. Period. Don't try to convince me that it is all wrong - I don't disagree necessarily - you need to convince them.

BTW, it is very difficult to get a green card for residents of Mexico who do not have a sponsor (family or employer). Do you think people would risk their lives crossing the border with coyotes, if getting a green card is a walk in the park? Really?

Mick

1) Mexicans are the largest Hispanic group in the U.S. they are very well connected in many cities. You mean to tell me its hard for a Mexican to get a sponsor from an employer or family or friend in the U.S.?

2) If Mexico has Drug Cartels and Coyotes running their country that is NOT our problem until they cross that border with their problems then its our problem..

3) I don't need to convince anybody that isn't from this country who have NO loyalty to our constitution and laws. I just want the laws to be enforce and apply equal to all.....not too much to ask since that is demanded of me everyday and I'm a U.S. Citizen and a Veteran.

4) They can feel what they feel, most of them get their propaganda, 1 sided debate, lies and distortions from Jorge Ramos and the rest of the hacks at Univision and Telemundo who spread the gospel that any American who want a wall for security and law and order is a racist.

there is no way to change their minds unless you give them all FULL AMNESTY and keep the borders open and that ain't going to happen.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,009,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Alright, so I keep seeing posts from people who have obviously not read other posts regarding how long it takes to obtain citizenship.

First, there is enough time for many even if they apply now, as it takes around 6 months for many.
I thought someone had to be a permanent, legal resident for at least 5 years before applying for U.S. citizenship.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,112,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" CNN: Latino Immigrants are applying for citizenship just to vote against Mr. Trump "

For that to happen, there simply isn't enough time. This is just another stupid hit piece. Trump got over 50% of the Mexican American vote in Miami. That's legal Americans of Mexican descent who voted. Citizens, regardless of their ancestry, don't like to compete with illegals who will work for pennies. The chamber of commerce might, but your average voter doesn't.
Want to put a link on that? First off Rubio won Miami Dade County and the Mexican American vote in Miami is minimal and doubt anybody track it.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,009,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Per that particular article, they were claiming that the lady had been here for a long time and never saw any need to become a citizen. According to the article, because of Trump, she's now suddenly desiring citizenship, along with other family members. As stated above, the story can be spun both ways...so if the media wants to pretend that this is new, and blame it on Trump, I'm going to spin it and give Trump credit. Isn't this fun?
Yes. I detected your sarcasm. I was only saying this isn't much different than when any group of first time voters get stirred up over an election. I was sharing a home with a 70 year old man (the owner, not a significant other) in 2012 who had never registered to vote in his life. Honestly, I was shocked because we debated constantly about politics and I assumed he was a registered Republican. True story. In fact, I probably posted about it 4 years ago. He said he wanted to "cancel out" my vote for Obama. So, although I doubt new citizens will have much of an effect on the general election, it's not too surprising to me now to hear that people who might be concerned about being deported might try to speed up the citizenship process. I realize Trump never said anything about deporting legal residents, but during any election, the whole country goes a little cuckoo.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:12 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,964,858 times
People have the rep of forgetting that Hispanic people ain't reliable Dem voters unlike most American Black people.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:35 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,419,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
People have the rep of forgetting that Hispanic people ain't reliable Dem voters unlike most American Black people.
A better question to ask - if that is true, why is the GOP just shooting itself in the foot with overt hostile comments at Hispanics? Why aren't they fighting for them?

in 2012 - nationally, Latinos went for Obama by 71% - 27%. You think Trump is going to improve on that?

Forget Mexican Americans in California. They're lost to the Republicans.

Even Cuban Americans, once a reliable Republican lock (especially in Florida) are no longer loyal to the GOP, especially the younger generation.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:41 PM

63,492 posts, read 29,484,787 times
Quote:
It is not possible for an illegal immigrant to " take" a job away from blue- collared Americans.

Some employers, typically small businesses, choose to hire illegal immigrants over Americans because they percieve they will get a better bang for the $. Only a handful of states have mandated e-Verify of all employees. Why is this? Why does the US Chamber of Commerce lobby oppose e-Verify?

They take jobs from Americans by coming here illegally and wiling to work for less. No one forces them to come here or to work here. They and their greedy employers are equally guilty of breaking the law. You are asking questions where the answers are obvious?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 PM

63,492 posts, read 29,484,787 times
Quote:
Trump has promised to make it easier to legally work in the US.

Deportation of 12 million and making it easier for non- citizens to legally work in the US will require Congress to act and fund. Congress, not POTUS, controls the purse strings.

Congress seems substantially more disposed towards massive immigration bills that go nowhere instead of something simple like mandating e-Verify of all employees.

Really? You can say that with a straight face after Obama bypassed congress on illegal immigration? E-verify is only part of the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections