Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,867,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
So CNN had a segment just now about Latino green card holders applying for naturalization in record numbers now in time to vote against Mr. Trump. The applications are up 14.5% over comparable period last year. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these eligible immigrants in each of the swing states like AZ, CO, FL, etc. The immigrants they showed applying for citizenship weren't just from Mexico . . . .Colombia, Cuba . . . . they didn't have nice things to say about Mr. Trump, as expected.

I'm quite surprised that there are so many eligible immigrants in swing states (I thought they were mostly concentrated in Blue States), and that green card holders are actually taking steps to obtain US citizenship (which would lead in most cases to their forced abandonment of their original citizenship . . . . i.e., it's a drastic step). And, it's safe to say that these folks are guaranteed to turnout at 100% if they go through all this effort and money to naturalize just to vote against Mr. Trump.

Mr. Trump may end up costing GOP the Senate, as a large number of Latinos become eligible to vote in the election.

Do you think it would affect the outcome, or are they still immaterial in number?

Mick

Considering how long it takes our POS government to even complete the process for citizenship, which is a H-U-G-E part of the problem for immigrants, this will have absolutely no effect at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 05:15 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,744,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
One of the links above has an article that said right now it's taking 5 months from the time they submit the application for citizenship.
I've been through it and, ask anyone else who's been through the process, it ain't 5 months.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,770,961 times
Quote:
So CNN had a segment just now about Latino green card holders applying for naturalization in record numbers now in time to vote against Mr. Trump. The applications are up 14.5% over comparable period last year. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these eligible immigrants in each of the swing states like AZ, CO, FL, etc. The immigrants they showed applying for citizenship weren't just from Mexico . . . .Colombia, Cuba . . . . they didn't have nice things to say about Mr. Trump, as expected.

I'm quite surprised that there are so many eligible immigrants in swing states (I thought they were mostly concentrated in Blue States), and that green card holders are actually taking steps to obtain US citizenship (which would lead in most cases to their forced abandonment of their original citizenship . . . . i.e., it's a drastic step). And, it's safe to say that these folks are guaranteed to turnout at 100% if they go through all this effort and money to naturalize just to vote against Mr. Trump.

Mr. Trump may end up costing GOP the Senate, as a large number of Latinos become eligible to vote in the election.

Do you think it would affect the outcome, or are they still immaterial in number?

Mick
If they apply now, they might have it by 2020 elections

Old 03-17-2016, 05:36 AM

26,051 posts, read 22,250,461 times
Quote:
Average processing time is 6 months, but it's often faster.

They are applying because of Mr. Trump's rhetoric on immigrations policy and his tone on Hispanics (legal or illegal). Not to mention that many legal immigrants have illegal family members, friends, colleagues, etc., I would imagine. You would be super motivated if you believe that Mr. Trump will deport your grandma. I acknowledge that it's not all logical . . . it's the way Mr. Trump makes them feel.

Mick
Immigration policy? Trump has not said that much about immigrations policies other than we need to enforce the immigration laws that we have. Doesn't that make sense to enforce immigration law just as we enforce other laws in our country?

I think it is unfortunate if the legal immigrants don't care enough about our country that they approve of illegal immigration especially with the cost to taxpayers of $113 billion a year and amnesty at a cost of $6.3 trillion if one of the brainless, un-American candidates are elected.

My grandma was born here and she obeyed all the laws here. Is your grandma breaking the laws here? My family all obey the laws. They are good Americans that care about our country and respect it. I guess that is what make us different than the illegals and their sympathizers.

I hope Mr. Trump makes them feel threatened enough that many haul tail back to where they came from. They have entered the US without authorization which is against the law. They continue to break other laws and are sucking the public assistance teat dry taking away from our LEGAL citizens, the disabled, the elderly, etc. and while we have families and individuals who are homeless, the Section 8 vouchers go to the anchor babies and the entire illegal family moves in the housing with them. They are destroying our education system with all of their special needs. Drop kick them back to the border. They are lawbreakers. We are not separating families, an anchor doesn't anchor and we routinely separate law breaking citizens from their children who end up in foster care.

Legal immigrants that support illegals should, in protest, leave the country with the illegal aliens to show their support.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:03 AM

63,124 posts, read 29,311,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many minorities friends of mine in real life are really paranoid. I can understand why. They think Trump is going to turn america white again. LOL seriously?

Republicans in Washington who’ve decided to go after Trump for being a racist are again proving they do not know how to deal with Trump and are also proving they have no intention of securing the border. They just keep playing right into his hands.

I can understand why these Latinos, hispanics are paranoid, but they really have nothing to worry about.

In real life, all my white friends have said that white supremacists are bunch of jackasses. They don't want to associate with them. They say white supremacists are the minority in the white race. Sheesh, I have family members who gave me life are white, how can I ever believe anybody who are anti illegal immigrants just want to turn the country white again. Just because somebody are loud and obnoxious, doesn't mean they have real power.

Relax. man.

Totally agree with you. Trump hasn't displayed any racism or inclination to turn America white again (whites are still the majority anyway) and if some white supremists embrace him that doesn't mean he embraces them back. I don't understand at all why any Hispanics would be worried about this when most are partially white themselves. No, they are just worried that Trump might follow through on his plan to rid this country of their illegal amigos but it has nothing to do with racism but our laws.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:59 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,339,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
First, don't tell me what to do. I know the "Sugah" part of my screen name might confuse you but I will keep posting whatever I want. Use the ignore feature if my posts bother you Mr. "Happy"

Second, I know plenty of Hispanics very well, they are not just "my Cuban neighbors".
I take it you threw the towel on this one. See you around.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I've been through it and, ask anyone else who's been through the process, it ain't 5 months.
Tell that to Sugar.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Hispanics rush to become citizens to vote against Trump.
Why would someone who has stood in line for years to become a citizen would be against someone who would stop people from cutting in line? Why? Every 4 years networks come out with these silly stories. It's like Bernie. If you believed the hype he'd be the nominee by now.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:11 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,144,650 times
OK, so I inquired my acquaintance (a long time green card holder) who got naturalized in Boston. She looked up the dates for me:

August 19: N-400 application form submitted to the USCIS
November 11: Citizenship interview
February 6: Swear-in ceremony

So, that is about 6 months. I am sure this approval period can be shorter or longer depending on your USCIS office, type of naturalization, country of origin, etc., but from my understanding, a typical green card holder can get naturalized in 5 to 6 months.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 07:15 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,144,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why would someone who has stood in line for years to become a citizen would be against someone who would stop people from cutting in line? Why?
Umm, maybe because there is currently no path for an illegal to become a US citizen. Ever. Hence, there is no line cutting of the sort that some people seem to conjure up in their minds.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections