Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:18 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
OK, so I inquired my acquaintance (a long time green card holder) who got naturalized in Boston. She looked up the dates for me:

August 19: N-400 application form submitted to the USCIS
November 11: Citizenship interview
February 6: Swear-in ceremony

So, that is about 6 months. I am sure this approval period can be shorter or longer depending on your USCIS office, type of naturalization, country of origin, etc., but from my understanding, a typical green card holder can get naturalized in 5 to 6 months.

Mick
Thanks. That's what I said in my first post. But there are always glitches in the process of the kind I have said earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Umm, maybe because there is currently no path for an illegal to become a US citizen. Ever. Hence, there is no line cutting of the sort that some people seem to conjure up in their minds.

Mick
They are cutting in line. Many people who qualify for the green card are waiting OUTSIDE the country. The big prize is living IN the US. Why should someone who is coming in legally wait in kyrgyzstan while oters who shouldn't even be here are driving around in Los Angeles sipping Starbucks coffee? Even for visa adjustments you have to leave the country and apply from outside. Trump's plan for people to leave the country and apply legally like everybody else makes imminent sense.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 AM

https://twitter.com/gqforbes/status/710246970162552832

Old 03-17-2016, 07:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Here is the Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/us...-him.html?_r=0

Quote:
A legal immigrant from Mexico, Ms. Villegas is a mother of two who has been living in the United States for nearly a decade but never felt compelled to become a citizen. But as Mr. Trump has surged toward the Republican nomination, Ms. Villegas — along with her sister, her parents and her husband’s parents — has joined a rush by many Latino immigrants to naturalize in time to vote in November.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Congratulations, Mr. Trump!

She does look suspiciously like Ivanka dyed her hair dark. . . .

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"Oh, please, CNN, NY Times, all liberal MSM outlets. No thanks. I rely on reliable, unbiased sources such as InfoWars, Breitbart and Fox News."

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 08:24 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I don't claim that I know how every latino thinks, but I assume within the Latino community, you have significant political differences depending on generations; people who are fourth- or fifth-generation Americans vs. people who are naturalized citizens. The response of those different groups will vary to some of Trump’s statements.

I can understand why some minorities folks are paranoid, but I don't think they have anything to worry about.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I think they're signing up - not 6to vote against Trump but before he gets elected and takes away all the bennies for illiegals - nice try though - liberal media at it's best - concocting stories.
These are green card holders, permanent legal residents.

Trump, or any POTUS for that matter, has no authority to do much of anything about green card holders or illegals without the approval of Congress and potentially one or more SCOTUS rulings.

It typically takes 6-12 months from the point of application for a qualified green card holder to become a citizen.

Only a handful of states mandate e-Verify for all employers. Why is this?

Green cand holders have been able to bring in family members for decades. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

SCOTUS will have to eventually rule on birthright citizenship.

Illegal residents are entitled to a trial and appeal. There are not enough jails to house illegals pending trial or appeal.

The number of judges, admin staff and court houses is inadequate to reasonably attempt to hold trials and appeals for 12 million illegal people. Congress would have to approve funding for more.

Trump wants to hire tens of thousands incremental ICE agents and border patrol. Congress would have to approve this.

States typically enable green card holders to qualify for TANF and SNAP with proof of 5 years of residency or 40 quarters of employment. The states, not fed, determine criteria.

The majority of promises made by candidates require Acts of Congress. There is no certainty Congress will play ball even when Congress and POTUS are aligned by party. Almost nothing gets passed by Congress without a lot of pork. POTUS does not have veto power.

Those who look forward to 12 millio illegals being dragged out of their homes and schools and bused to the border are going to be seriously disappointed when outcomes do not match expectations.

And lastly, Trump has made it clear he wants to make it easier for immigrants to obtain green cards and work legally.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't claim that I know how every latino thinks, but I assume within the Latino community, you have significant political differences depending on generations; people who are fourth- or fifth-generation Americans vs. people who are naturalized citizens. The response of those different groups will vary to some of Trump’s statements.

I can understand why some minorities folks are paranoid, but I don't think they have anything to worry about.
I think you are absolutely right, but the expression "there's no reality, just perception" applies here too. If Latinos are paranoid (let's say), they will go seek citizenship to vote against Mr. Trump, whether or not Mr. Trump's policies are actually in line with their understanding of such policies. Also, many Hispanic permanent residents and citizens are clearly offended by Mr. Trump's tone (a dog whistle, they say) regarding *all* Hispanics. Again, we can argue all day whether Mr. Trump was talking about them, but it's all about their perception.

The latest major poll that I saw (last month) on the topic said 80% of Hispanics have unfavorable view of Mr. Trump (73% being *very* unfavorable). So if the poll is right, he won't do well with the Hispanics regardless of what he says (also factor in that "unfavorable" people will be more likely to actually vote).

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 08:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
OK, so I inquired my acquaintance (a long time green card holder) who got naturalized in Boston. She looked up the dates for me:

August 19: N-400 application form submitted to the USCIS
November 11: Citizenship interview
February 6: Swear-in ceremony

So, that is about 6 months. I am sure this approval period can be shorter or longer depending on your USCIS office, type of naturalization, country of origin, etc., but from my understanding, a typical green card holder can get naturalized in 5 to 6 months.

Mick
6-12 months is the norm for qualified green card holders.

Ability to speak and read English is a requirement unless the applicant is X years old and has resided in the US for Y years in which case they will be given an interpreter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections