Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,104,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's hilarious how everyone has their own scenario about how Trump is going to be left out, start a third party, start a riot and so on. Everybody, keep your shirts on and calm down. Let the process work and stop assuming it won't.
We're way passed that point, the establishment has show how far they will go to prevent what the voters want, there is no going back now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 07:55 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,320,756 times
Trump and his fans seems to think the GOP convention rules were created just to try and shut him out from getting the nomination. They need to grow up and learn the process. As per the rules, convention delegates will be allowed to change their votes if a candidate doesn't reach the 1237 threshold on their first ballot...or before the convention begins.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:58 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
If they do deny Trump, the party is finished- it's already on life support. To send a message that who the people want elected doesn't matter is terrible. The establishment needs to ride off into the sunset- they've made millions illegally, and can live like kings until they die.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:04 AM

17,348 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Trump and his fans seems to think the GOP convention rules were created just to try and shut him out from getting the nomination. They need to grow up and learn the process. As per the rules, convention delegates will be allowed to change their votes if a candidate doesn't reach the 1237 threshold on their first ballot...or before the convention begins.
True, so since Cruz and Trump will have the vast majority of delegates, those "available" delegates have no one else to vote for except Trump or Cruz. If the establishment put up another candidate, there aren't enough available delegates to even come close to what Cruz and Trump already have. Therefore, the establishment cannot put another person in there and get the required delegates needed. Trump and Cruz delegates already committed to them are not going to change their vote for an establishment person. Any way you slice it, the nominee will be Cruz or Trump.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:07 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have no obligation to vote for someone who I find morally reprehensible and possibily dangerous, along with being toxic to our nation. Matter of fact, feeling the way I do, I have a moral responsibility to vote against him. I will not vote for Trump, what very little chance that was once left that I might ended when he basically threatened violence would happen if I didn't, like some mob goon demanding protection money to keep a store or restaurant from being set on fire. No, the debate really is whether I will vote for Hillary or a 3rd party candidate.

I agree 110%!
I can't stand Hillary and I lean right on most issues but Trump is a joke of a candidate. A disgrace.
It's amazing to me that his supporters can't see that he is playing to what they want to hear.
This is a man who just said that his top foreign policy adviser was himself!
I'll easily vote for Hillary or some 3rd party before him.
I've always participated in voting but I don't think I have ever felt more eager and engaged to get out and cast my vote, if it means helping to stop Trump.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:09 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,104,914 times
Quote:
Have you not seen the GOP do everything they could to deny Trump the majority of the delegates?

Yes, the rules are set up to keep out candidates the party doesn't want.

Quote:
True, so since Cruz and Trump will have the vast majority of delegates, those "available" delegates have no one else to vote for except Trump or Cruz. If the establishment put up another candidate, there aren't enough available delegates to even come close to what Cruz and Trump already have. Therefore, the establishment cannot put another person in there and get the required delegates needed. Trump and Cruz delegates already committed to them are not going to change their vote for an establishment person. Any way you slice it, the nominee will be Cruz or Trump.
While it is true that only Trump, or Cruz can get the required number of delegates to win the nomination outright, it is not true that one of them will get the nomination. If anyone fails to get the majority of the delegates, the nomination will be up for grabs.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Wouldn't you rather have it go way #1, where at least the party could at least still have a chance of defeating the Democrats, even if you don't like the candidate?

I am voting Republican for the first time in many years, and my vote is for Trump, because he's not like your typical Republican politician.

I won't vote Democrat because I do not believe this country needs to go down the same roads it is going down.

That said, if Trump does not win the nomination, I will either write him in or not vote at all. I do not believe in the Republican or Democratic way, I vote according to who fits my personal beliefs the closest, and Trump is the closest to that.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:11 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
It's hilarious how everyone has their own scenario about how Trump is going to be left out, start a third party, start a riot and so on. Everybody, keep your shirts on and calm down. Let the process work and stop assuming it won't.
Sir, riot gears and tear gases are on backorder, thanks to the City of Baltimore. We must order now.

Mick

Last edited by MTQ3000; 03-17-2016 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 08:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I don't agree.
If they go down this road, it will be crystal clear to everyone that the entire system is corrupt. That votes don't matter.
And they can forget about getting a vote from any fair minded person like me. They can go F themselves....and then you can welcome in President Hillary. After 8 more years, you won't recognize this country.

Yep.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:12 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
...As per the rules, convention delegates will be allowed to change their votes if a candidate doesn't reach the 1237 threshold on their first ballot...or before the convention begins.
As per rules, only Trump meets requirement of Rule 40. So even if he doesn't get 1237 (he will), he is the only one who can be considered on 2nd, 3rd, etc. ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections