Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:51 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Not sure I follow. AZ is as red as it gets when it comes to Presidential elections. They have only voted for a Democrat once since 1948.
Despite the misconceptions of many, Arizona is a far more Libertarian/live and let live state. However, with lots of influx from CA and such, it's becoming more shades of blue I think:

Gallup poll: Arizona not a Republican state - ABC15 Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Except cruz just got the kiss of a few in the establishment endorsing him. Rubio and bush will tell you how well that worked out, especially since it goes against cruz's narrative of being the rebel/outsider dude. Quite laughable actually.

LMAO - THIS is a kiss?

"I think he's the best alternative to beat Donald Trump," Graham said about Cruz. "I'm going to help Ted in any way I can… He's certainly not my preference, but he's a reliable Republican, conservative, which I've had many differences with," the South Carolina Republican said. "John Kasich is the most viable general election candidate. I just don't see how John gets through the primary. This is an outsider year, and he is an insider."

Gramnesty is following his marching orders from above. Begrudgingly!!

Old 03-18-2016, 02:04 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,338,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Despite the misconceptions of many, Arizona is a far more Libertarian/live and let live state. However, with lots of influx from CA and such, it's becoming more shades of blue I think:

Gallup poll: Arizona not a Republican state - ABC15 Arizona
Im sorry, but a state who has only voted democrat ONCE since 1948 is in no way shape or form anywhere close to a blue state lol. That would be like me saying CA is a red state but its all the liberals in LA that mess everything up. I would have more of a point considering CA was a red state from 1952-1988. However, everyone knows CA is solidly blue just as AZ is solidly red. However, Clinton might change that in AZ this year. Trump certainly wont be turning CA red.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:04 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
LMAO - THIS is a kiss?

"I think he's the best alternative to beat Donald Trump," Graham said about Cruz. "I'm going to help Ted in any way I can… He's certainly not my preference, but he's a reliable Republican, conservative, which I've had many differences with," the South Carolina Republican said. "John Kasich is the most viable general election candidate. I just don't see how John gets through the primary. This is an outsider year, and he is an insider."

Gramnesty is following his marching orders from above. Begrudgingly!!
Perhaps a peck on the cheek then? Hilarious "endorsement" though!

How about this endorsement?

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley: I'm praying for Cruz win - CNNPolitics.com

"My hope and prayer is that Sen. Cruz can come through so that he can push through and really get to where he needs to go ... we do want a strong leader. We do want somebody that's conservative," she said, according to the video published by The State newspaper in Columbia.

So we have a prayer, not a full endorsement?!? Can't make this stuff up!

But not surprising when the establishment is losing their positions of influence/power. Desperation is the end result.

Quote:
Im sorry, but a state who has only voted democrat ONCE since 1948 is in no way shape or form anywhere close to a blue state lol. That would be like me saying CA is a red state but its all the liberals in LA that mess everything up. I would have more of a point considering CA was a red state from 1952-1988. However, everyone knows CA is solidly blue just as AZ is solidly red.
States change over time as you say.

With that said, Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, was our governor from 2003-2009. Cities like Phoenix lean more Democrat and the suburbs lean more republican just like in most places. In some suburban cities here, there is a small but fairly powerful LDS/Mormon presence that is involved with poltiics. On the other side, cities like Flagstaff is more liberal as is Tucson. Bernie is campaigning up in Flagstaff I heard so that shows you.

Last edited by stevek64; 03-18-2016 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 02:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Wow, interesting .Des haven't won there in . . . . . how many decades?

Mick
Other than Tucson, it's Republican territory - open carry laws, want a wall on its southern border. Wouldn't be surprised if Ariz would support Trump or Cruz versus Clinton or Sanders.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:16 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
It seems that the "Trump effect" is bad news for the GOP (not surprisingly). I have also seen polls showing the Dem Senate candidate (Kirkpatrick) coming shockingly close to McCain ... a 1% margin. This is not good news for the GOP's hopes to keep the Senate.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:16 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Well, Arizona is a state that seems to be trending blue - mostly due to the combination of a growing Hispanic population and a Republican Party devoted to finding new and creative ways to alienate non-whites - but only very slowly.

That said (and I say this as a Clinton supporter), I would be highly distrustful of this poll.

Frankly, general election polls taken in April tend to be worthless. Now, if every single poll coming out of Arizona showed the state a toss-up, then it would get my attention... though I'd still take them with a grain of salt. But just one? There at least two polls in 2012 that showed President Obama leading Governor Romney in Arizona, and another that showed the race a dead heat (all from the same pollster). And we all know how that turned out.

On the other hand, I do think the power of Trump to turn this election into a wave election for Team Blue is definitely there.

Just my $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It seems that the "Trump effect" is bad news for the GOP (not surprisingly). I have also seen polls showing the Dem Senate candidate (Kirkpatrick) coming shockingly close to McCain ... a 1% margin. This is not good news for the GOP's hopes to keep the Senate.
That's partly a measure of how unpopular John McCain is with the Arizona GOP (which after all, censured him in 2014 for not being unhinged enough).

McCain... Romney... Trump... the Republican Party sure has a knack for selecting Presidential nominees that the bulk of their voting base despises!

Old 03-19-2016, 04:38 AM

491 posts, read 319,547 times
I think that Clinton is favored to win AZ in November. I also feel this way about two other Romney states: GA & NC. Furthermore, I truly think that Clinton has about a 50/50 chance in IN, MO, and TX (and perhaps MT as well).

What is really sad is that Trump will be so bad for the GOP that he will drag down the great John McCain (in his re-election bid to the Senate). This is highly ironic, given Trump's disgraceful comments about McCain's war record.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:43 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
I think that Clinton is favored to win AZ in November. I also feel this way about two other Romney states: GA & NC. Furthermore, I truly think that Clinton has about a 50/50 chance in IN, MO, and TX (and perhaps MT as well).

What is really sad is that Trump will be so bad for the GOP that he will drag down the great John McCain (in his re-election bid to the Senate). This is highly ironic, given Trump's disgraceful comments about McCain's war record.
Don't tell this to the Trumpets. They think he is sailing to a landslide victory and Hillary is headed to jail. lololol ... this is what happens when you build a base on denying science, logic and reason.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,610 times
Quote:
Not sure I follow. AZ is as red as it gets when it comes to Presidential elections. They have only voted for a Democrat once since 1948.
Trumpis not a typical red
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections