Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,046,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Used to be Republicans were of the mindset is your bring your own breaks. You work hard and get what you deserve. Boy has that changed. Now it's the gov't's fault. Hard to tell Republicans apart from the Democrats nowadays. No wonder Trump (a true Democrat) is doing so well.......
This is it, although I would apply the same to Americans regardless of party affiliation. This is what so appealing to an immigrant - this country was built on a "can do" attitude. This is why the whiny refrain of "they took our jobs away" is so off-putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 03:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Or tell me why last 7 years were so awful. Or even the last 15, because that's how much I've seen in this country.
I'm an immigrant who might be lacking in understanding of how America was great in the 80s or whenever. But I've seen the housing and market crash of 2007-2008 and I compare it with the economy of today. The unemployment is low, and where I live, it's very hard to find people to work the jobs that this growing region offers. The housing market is booming here.
I'm also an idiot who thinks not having Americans killed in some remote land on a daily basis is actually a plus and doesn't mean that "nobody respects us".
Personally, I'm doing very well. My two-income household came from being on WIC and welfare (yes! I was a welfare recipient for several months) to being in the top 5% of US income over the last 15 years. I just had to go to work for 8 hours a day, sometimes longer, and do my best most of the time. So did my spouse. Oh, and try to stay relevant and on top of ever-changing professional environment (IT).

I love and respect the principles this country was built upon and I won't live anywhere else. My kids are growing up in a democratic society, and I envy them, as I didn't have that. I was always afraid of authorities growing up: police, any government worker, heck, even store clerks (a BIG authority in my home country) could cheat me or demand a hefty bribe to do their job and I had no recourse whatsoever. I'm still somewhat amazed when I deal with authorities here and things just get done. I just renewed my son's passport in 9 days (paid for expedited service). I registered a car that was an out of state gift with a gift letter and a title, and it took me 20 minutes (15 minutes in line, 5 minutes at the clerk's desk). I filed my taxes, and IRS said "thank you" . I can't begin to tell you how many bribes I had to pay to do these simple tasks in my home country. And I actually feel good sending my check to IRS or State. Just a weird feeling, because I know at least some of this money will be used on something good (roads, schools, subsidies to low-income people and oil companies, yeah). They won't end up in Mr. Whoisthenextdictator's pocket. Some of this money WILL get mismanaged, but in general, it's going to be used they way tax revenue is supposed to be used.

So, remind me again, what's wrong with America today? Why are there so many angry people?
They're easily led.

They listen to hate radio and Fox News without the ability to analyze what they're being fed, so they swallow it whole and the indigestion consumes their rationality.

Quote:
Maybe it doesn't belong in the Elections forum, but I hear that Trump's and Bernie's supporters and pretty much any person who is following elections is "angry" at something, I thought I'd ask here. Why is there so much negativity when this is really one of the greatest countries on Earth? It has its problems, and there are many, but what country doesn't? I'm not saying everything is rosy, and it's butterflies and rainbows for everyone. But is America as a country so broken that it is no longer functioning? In what way is it not GREAT? Give me a big picture, not examples of relatively small issues.

Thanks for your realistic perspective.

But I seriously doubt that it will be well received here. This forum is heavily populated by angry irrational self-pitying pessimists.

Try to see them as amusing. Your experience of living elsewhere gives you an appreciation for how well we have it here in the USA. I'm confident that many of those who incessantly whine have no concept of what life is like elsewhere.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,491,223 times
Quote:
This is it, although I would apply the same to Americans regardless of party affiliation. This is what so appealing to an immigrant - this country was built on a "can do" attitude. This is why the whiny refrain of "they took our jobs away" is so off-putting.
reps to you

Old 03-18-2016, 03:39 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,006,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
As a Trump supporter, I can easily give you my take along with having lived 61 years in the USA:

Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial

The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013)

307,000 vets may have died awaiting VA care, report says - CNNPolitics.com

National Alliance to End Homelessness: Snapshot of Homelessness

Survey Ranks the U.S. Health Care System Lowest in Performance

The United States Has The Largest Prison Population In The World -- And It's Growing | ThinkProgress

The Unemployment Rate Leaves the Underemployed Invisible - US News

698K Native-Born Americans Lost Their Job In August: Why This Suddenly Is The Most Important Jobs Chart | Zero Hedge

Official ?Unemployment? Understates US Joblessness | Al Jazeera America

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/amer...discrimination

Disney sued for replacing American workers with foreigners - Jan. 25, 2016

https://www.numbersusa.com/resource-...ricans-wont-do

I could on if you would like. When one looks beyond the media headlines and their own little world.........

Trump is the ONLY candidate addressing these when he speaks! Trump 2016!

OP is an IT worker: 'Send them all back': Layoffs provoke H-1B visa blowback | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com
You don't need to go on. Please, just tell me the donalds policy on these issues. All I've heard is that he's got people working on it, or or it's going to be great or beautiful. When asked about foreign policy advisers, he said he consults mostly with himself because he has a good brain and he's said a lot of things. What the heck?

Old 03-18-2016, 04:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You don't need to go on. Please, just tell me the donalds policy on these issues. All I've heard is that he's got people working on it, or or it's going to be great or beautiful. When asked about foreign policy advisers, he said he consults mostly with himself because he has a good brain and he's said a lot of things. What the heck?
The Trumpettes are too blinded by the orange glow to know they're being had.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:05 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,336,038 times
Quote:
Or tell me why last 7 years were so awful. Or even the last 15, because that's how much I've seen in this country.
I'm an immigrant who might be lacking in understanding of how America was great in the 80s or whenever. But I've seen the housing and market crash of 2007-2008 and I compare it with the economy of today. The unemployment is low, and where I live, it's very hard to find people to work the jobs that this growing region offers. The housing market is booming here.
I'm also an idiot who thinks not having Americans killed in some remote land on a daily basis is actually a plus and doesn't mean that "nobody respects us".
Personally, I'm doing very well. My two-income household came from being on WIC and welfare (yes! I was a welfare recipient for several months) to being in the top 5% of US income over the last 15 years. I just had to go to work for 8 hours a day, sometimes longer, and do my best most of the time. So did my spouse. Oh, and try to stay relevant and on top of ever-changing professional environment (IT).

I love and respect the principles this country was built upon and I won't live anywhere else. My kids are growing up in a democratic society, and I envy them, as I didn't have that. I was always afraid of authorities growing up: police, any government worker, heck, even store clerks (a BIG authority in my home country) could cheat me or demand a hefty bribe to do their job and I had no recourse whatsoever. I'm still somewhat amazed when I deal with authorities here and things just get done. I just renewed my son's passport in 9 days (paid for expedited service). I registered a car that was an out of state gift with a gift letter and a title, and it took me 20 minutes (15 minutes in line, 5 minutes at the clerk's desk). I filed my taxes, and IRS said "thank you" . I can't begin to tell you how many bribes I had to pay to do these simple tasks in my home country. And I actually feel good sending my check to IRS or State. Just a weird feeling, because I know at least some of this money will be used on something good (roads, schools, subsidies to low-income people and oil companies, yeah). They won't end up in Mr. Whoisthenextdictator's pocket. Some of this money WILL get mismanaged, but in general, it's going to be used they way tax revenue is supposed to be used.

So, remind me again, what's wrong with America today? Why are there so many angry people?
Maybe it doesn't belong in the Elections forum, but I hear that Trump's and Bernie's supporters and pretty much any person who is following elections is "angry" at something, I thought I'd ask here. Why is there so much negativity when this is really one of the greatest countries on Earth? It has its problems, and there are many, but what country doesn't? I'm not saying everything is rosy, and it's butterflies and rainbows for everyone. But is America as a country so broken that it is no longer functioning? In what way is it not GREAT? Give me a big picture, not examples of relatively small issues.

We all know America is a nation of hypocrites. Majority of Americans are confrontational, combative and judgmental weekdays. Come Sunday they carry a book to Church looking for something they will never find!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:24 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What you are witnessing is a once great country in its death throes.evidently its every one elses fault' the illegals,the Muslims,the liberals, Asia taking all our jobs, the idea Obama and now Hillary are destroying the country and all the while a media fanning the flames of discontent, It was a nice ride while it lasted but now the country is drunk with petty political obsession where neighbor hates neighbor,families torn apart, it aint gonna be great again,its too far gone.

OhioToCO good job if every one had your attitude the country might recover to its former glory.
Keep in mind that OP is in IT. As we know, they have been replacing our citizen employees, taking their jobs. OP has not been in the country long enough to actually know what is being talked about.

Quote:
I will only speak about an issue I have experience with - American workers being replaced with H1B workers. There are a ton of those in my field. What I'm seeing is that most of them are willing to work harder and smarter than some american-born co-workers. Are they settling for lower wages? Maybe, although I haven't witnessed wage deterioration in my field. There is plenty of work, and therefore, the wages are high. Those "displaced american workers" from Disney IT department should have no trouble finding new jobs if they have some rudimentary applicable skills.
I can see how you would support H1B workers and be critical of American born, descendants of the people that built the country. As we know, many legal immigrants do come in and use welfare benefits like you yourself. So, HB1 work for lower wages after taking the jobs of Americans and the American taxpayers end up paying to supplement the same people that took the jobs from them. Gee, why would anyone be angry about that?

Welfare Use by Legal and Illegal Immigrant Households | Center for Immigration Studies

Immigrants should not be allowed in the country unless they can pay their own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Do you have any background in business, economics and history because if you don't, you won't be able to understand? So, if you have those "tools", you just need to put it altogether since all of his plans work like building blocks to restore our country to what it was. Sorry, I can't start from scratch on this. Had you ever had the slightest interest in Trump as a candidate, you would already have the answers or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Trumpettes are too blinded by the orange glow to know they're being had.
The "orange glow" you see is actually our fantasy of Hillary in her orange jumpsuit. Look closer, do you see her mopping the floor not with the GOP candidate but with one of those heavy mops that you wring out in the big metal bucket. You are quite the visionary!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:30 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,674,826 times
America is the best it's ever been. For anyone expecting to get paid $25/hr to screw bolts onto an engine, that's not the real world. We're in a global marketplace, thanks to the advent of the internet, so you need an education or real-world skill/trade to advance.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:35 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
America is the best it's ever been. For anyone expecting to get paid $25/hr to screw bolts onto an engine, that's not the real world. We're in a global marketplace, thanks to the advent of the internet, so you need an education or real-world skill/trade to advance.
Without jobs that pay enough to live, how is it that you think our country can survive. The illegals are sucking down $113 billion a year in tax dollars, probably more since that figure is 3 years ago and they hatch anchors like there is no tomorrow.

New jobs that are created are generally in fast food and retail in most areas of the country. We have over a million non-violent citizens in prison and we, the taxpayers, have to support them. I guess if we keep them in prison, at least they won't be considered unemployed.

No, you aren't getting it. The country is failing. You have to produce something to survive. We can't buy goods if people don't have money.

Sitting in your own little corner listening to your favorite feel good media outlet................ Yeah, that doesn't work in the real world.

Maybe this will help you see the light: http://www.businessinsider.com/deind...closing-2010-9

Old 03-18-2016, 04:44 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,237,192 times
Our government is what's wrong. We are 19 trillion in debt, private sector went through a recession while congress gave themselves raises. The corruption has accelerated since Bush Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4av...layer_embedded

Explained well here.

I hope Trump throws a big boulder in the entire corrupt system and we can bring these folks down a notch or two.

Also, we need to stop appeasing the loons of this country where when you disagree with a liberal mindset you're automatically a bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections