Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times

Advertisements

What happened?
A great confluence of many very different events that combined with a society that was shifting in many ways. Angst affected us all in some way over the past 12 years, not from a few reasons but many. Ask a person and you will get a different answer every time.

Part of it was due to the change of the century. America has always gone through a period of radicalism after every century changes to the next. Not all of the radicalism was (or is) violent, but it always happens for about the first 10 years of the century.
The second decade tends to be the time when everything settles down. Some of the changes will linger on for the next 80 years, while others will fade in another decade or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,498,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I think that on November 9th, 2016, when we know if it's Hillary or Trump, only a small percent of population will cry that the country is falling into the abyss. The rest will shrug and go to work. And this is why America is great now.
Agreed. This election will pretty much demonstrate whether the constant narrative that Obama has destroyed America and is the "worst president ever" holds weight. If Hillary wins it pretty much shows that most Americans are satisfied with the current direction of the country, if Trump wins then it will show that the far right had some legitimate complaints.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 PM

22,486 posts, read 12,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Agreed. This election will pretty much demonstrate whether the constant narrative that Obama has destroyed America and is the "worst president ever" holds weight. If Hillary wins it pretty much shows that most Americans are satisfied with the current direction of the country, if Trump wins then it will show that the far right had some legitimate complaints.
What makes you think that everybody who supports Trump belongs to "the far right"?

Heck the RNC doesn't even consider Trump to be a true republican. If Trump attracted only "the far right", then the RNC would be happy about that.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:07 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,046,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What, exactly, is your job description that it is so hard to replace someone like you? Unless you tell us, your story is meaningless. Where is your job located? Is it in a small IT market? Is your company willing to help candidates with relocation expenses? Are they willing to help someone who has been out of work for so long that their skills have gone rusty, get caught up? I would think that the answer to the relocation and training questions would be "yes" if there is this shortage of people that you are claiming exists.

People who work in IT are very well aware that they have to keep their skills current. No one who goes into that field without knowing that.

You tell people to "stop being angry"---that's condescending. Try telling that to someone who was laid off but first had to train their H1-B replacement in order to get severance pay.
I integrate information systems. My previous job was for a large public university and yes, my relocation expenses were paid, not all, but I think I got a very nice allowance. The university wasn't willing to train, at least not from the ground up. On the other hand, my current employer is an ERP vendor for the system I had no prior experience with. I received quite a bit of training. So, those jobs where employers pay for relocation and train do exist. My job is sort of nichy, but my spouse is in a more mainstream IT field, and never had problems finding work.

On the other hand, I didn't mean to sound smug or condescending. Maybe both him and I have been lucky all this time. But maybe it has to do with the fact that we are always willing to stay later, work on a weekend, when needed, and in general, care for the work we do.
I merely responded to a post that claimed immigrants had no right to enter the country if they potentially could require financial assistance. The same post claimed that I had no idea what I was talking about in terms of displaced IT American workers. I just wanted to show that my experience is that there is real shortage of talent in the IT industry, and those who are hardworking will never be without work. I don't just speak for myself, I've seen quite a few good people of various nationalities, btw, Americans included, in my industry who at any given time had their pick of jobs.

Anyway, this is not a Work and Employment forum. I merely asked what was wrong with America and why people were so angry. I got quite a few good responses.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Just because you are doing fine, doesn't mean this country is going to the right direction.
I wasn't asking about direction, necessarily, just asked what was wrong NOW. And no, I DON'T think that if I'm doing fine, everyone else is an idiot for not being able to get where I am. I'm sorry the thread started to deteriorate into that direction.
I voted for Bernie, even though his policies are not going to benefit me, personally.

Quote:

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. John F. Kennedy

I would say "If a free society cannot help the many who are hard working but are still poor, it cannot save the few who are upper middle class or rich"
As I mentioned, I received government assistance for several months. It was a big help, and partially a reason why I got so far. So I very much subscribe to the ideas above.

Quote:

I am a trust fund baby who doesn't have to worry too much about my financial future. If I never had a brother who was a former Marine, I would never have had the opportunity to meet a lot of hard working working class Americans who struggle to make ends meet (but they never complain)

I work like a dog, (on average 10 hours a day) simply because I want to be a contributory member of the society and I also want to start my own charity organizations to help veterans and their children.
Thank you for that, you are an example of why America is great. Not many people outside of highly developed world even understand a concept of charity outside of church/other religious organization.

Quote:
I don't think this country is going to the right direction at all.

Like I posted in another thread, and I am just going to copy and paste here.

1. Today, the United States actually has a higher percentage of workers doing low wage work than any other major industrialized nation does.

2. The U.S. government wastes more money than any other government on earth does by far.

3. Prison population proves the failed war on drug.

4. The poverty rate for children living in the United States is quite high, compare to other developed countries

5. The United States was once ranked #1 in the world in GDP per capita. Today we have slipped to #12.

6. Every single year, the United States has the largest trade deficit in the world by far.

7. Veterans care can be improved - and let's be fair, government is taking care of the veterans, but many no longer want to put up with the poor management.

and the lists go on..

by the way, I am a trust fund baby, and you perhaps are making six figure a year. I think you and I have the responsibilities to help other Americans who are less fortunate. (I am not talking about free obama phone or free college education for all type of help) lol
Thanks for sharing, I agree with you on all points. I just can't stand the idea that we are somehow a lost country, a "Third World Dump" (a very offensive term, btw). I do what I can, I donate to my carefully selected charities, and pay my taxes. I help my neighbors and teach my children to do the same. I'm also teaching them to be open minded and think for themselves, not listen to propaganda.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,763,622 times
If income rose as much for the middle class as it did for the 0.1% since the 80s, America would most definitely be a wonderful place.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 PM

22,486 posts, read 12,032,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I integrate information systems. My previous job was for a large public university and yes, my relocation expenses were paid, not all, but I think I got a very nice allowance. The university wasn't willing to train, at least not from the ground up. On the other hand, my current employer is an ERP vendor for the system I had no prior experience with. I received quite a bit of training. So, those jobs where employers pay for relocation and train do exist. My job is sort of nichy, but my spouse is in a more mainstream IT field, and never had problems finding work.

On the other hand, I didn't mean to sound smug or condescending. Maybe both him and I have been lucky all this time. But maybe it has to do with the fact that we are always willing to stay later, work on a weekend, when needed, and in general, care for the work we do.
I merely responded to a post that claimed immigrants had no right to enter the country if they potentially could require financial assistance. The same post claimed that I had no idea what I was talking about in terms of displaced IT American workers. I just wanted to show that my experience is that there is real shortage of talent in the IT industry, and those who are hardworking will never be without work. I don't just speak for myself, I've seen quite a few good people of various nationalities, btw, Americans included, in my industry who at any given time had their pick of jobs.

Anyway, this is not a Work and Employment forum. I merely asked what was wrong with America and why people were so angry. I got quite a few good responses.
And are you claiming that Americans aren't "always willing to stay later, work on a weekend, when needed, and in general, care for the work [they] do"?

My husband who recently retired, worked in IT and always was willing to do the above^ --- as were his other American co-workers.

No, there is NOT a "real shortage of talent in the IT industry". If that were the case, employers wouldn't be laying off their experienced American citizen workers and forcing them to train their H1-B visa replacements. Don't think that that could never happen to you or your spouse. I posted some links regarding this issue---did you even read them? Get real.

BTW, what nationality are you? The reason I ask, is that certain ethnic groups blatantly discriminate against those who don't belong to their group.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
There used to be comprise in government for the good of all of us. Now we are just pawns in their games. They have no problem shutting down the government with a million middle class not receiving paychecks. Yet, they still get their paychecks

Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
And are you claiming that Americans aren't "always willing to stay later, work on a weekend, when needed, and in general, care for the work [they] do"?

My husband who recently retired, worked in IT and always was willing to do the above^ --- as were his other American co-workers.
Kudos to your husband. I've seen people of various nationalities going above and beyond. I also have seen a diverse group of people not caring. I don't think it has to do with where you are born.

Quote:
No, there is NOT a "real shortage of talent in the IT industry". If that were the case, employers wouldn't be laying off their experienced American citizen workers and forcing them to train their H1-B visa replacements. Don't think that that could never happen to you or your spouse. I posted some links regarding this issue---did you even read them? Get real.
If it happens to me, I will let you know. And it did happen to my husband, although there was no H1B replacement. He found a job within 2 weeks. I don't know many countries where every person is guaranteed a job. There was a country like that once, but it is now gone, thankfully.
I read an article you linked to, partially. I even tried to read a Facebook post, but broke down on a third post, where everything was blamed on Indians. Or was it Chinese? I can't stand it when some global problem is being blamed on a nationality. It is an easy way to cultivate hate.

Quote:
BTW, what nationality are you? The reason I ask, is that certain ethnic groups blatantly discriminate against those who don't belong to their group.
Pardon me if I don't want to go into much detail in the public forum. After that Facebook post you linked to, I'm afraid my nationality will be collectively blamed as being "smug and condescending".

Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 PM

244 posts, read 169,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
America is the best it's ever been. For anyone expecting to get paid $25/hr to screw bolts onto an engine, that's not the real world. We're in a global marketplace, thanks to the advent of the internet, so you need an education or real-world skill/trade to advance.

This line of thinking is why we are in the mess that we are currently IN.

People are out there with student loan debt higher than mount everrest and cant even land a job making 30k a year. Jobs that didn't require degrees 30 years ago are still the same basic job now but they require degrees... how could that be? Is it possible that the ruling class has decided " hey we can make a lot of money off this college education thing" global marketplace = modern day slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections