Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 07:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,979,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I'm not a Trump supporter but the idea of a wall is not something I oppose at all.

It may or may not be impractical but it would be a step in the right direction of actually ENFORCING our own immigration policies.
As Oliver points out in the video, the vast majority of people who are in the U.S. did not come crossing the southern border. They enter via airports an normal ports, with visas that they overstay. A wall has zero effect on those people. Moreover, not many people are crossing the southern border these days anyway -- it was more of a problem years ago.

Moreover, since so much of the land this wall was built on would be on private lands, you're talking about a huge eminent domain issue or court tie-ups.

So, if the wall could be built, the wall will cost at least $25 billion to build and take years to build and cost $25 billion every seven years to maintain. Worse, the wall could be evaded by a ladder and a rope.

The wall is merely a rallying cry with little useful purpose from a candidate that thinks he can lower taxes, raise spending and payoff the debt.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:09 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,464,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think Trump "may" win the Republican nomination. All of this heat is going to slow him down. He's probably too close to the finish line to stop him, but that's still in play at the moment.

If he does go on to the general, he's going to go down in so much smoke it will make your head spin. Are you not following the news at all?
The news is all made up nonsense and they are spreading the lies because their masters told them to.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The news is all made up nonsense and they are spreading the lies because their masters told them to.
If the news is all made up, what is the truth, what some guy sitting in his underwear in the basement posts on his blog?

Old 03-21-2016, 09:23 AM

1,185 posts, read 806,770 times

It is not whether it is impossible or not, it is what do we have to do to prevent illegal immigration (border security et al)?

-Beef up border patrol officers in number?
- Corruption exist even at Customs and Border level; maybe they are paid by drug lords?
- Militarize the border with more effective rules of engagement?
- Add 20,000 more officers and 200 more helicopters, 200 more patrol SUV's and ATV's all equipped with IR cameras?
- Ask Mexico to help in combating this? It would be fair since a lot of drugs comes from their land.

Whether John Oliver thinks it's impossible or not is irrelevant, we should ask ourselves what can we do to reduce illegals and protect our citizens. John is talking behind a desk, not on scene or talking to families affected by illegals on the border.

I really take issue with desk talkers like this. Although I do like John Oliver.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:26 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,464,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If the news is all made up, what is the truth, what some guy sitting in his underwear in the basement posts on his blog?
The narrative is made up. I'm sure you know this and are just furthering the propaganda along. Take for instance the story running that a Trump supporter, some military guy, beat up a protester. They are failing to mention that the protester spit in his face first.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,139,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
As Oliver points out in the video, the vast majority of people who are in the U.S. did not come crossing the southern border. They enter via airports an normal ports, with visas that they overstay. A wall has zero effect on those people. Moreover, not many people are crossing the southern border these days anyway -- it was more of a problem years ago.

Moreover, since so much of the land this wall was built on would be on private lands, you're talking about a huge eminent domain issue or court tie-ups.

So, if the wall could be built, the wall will cost at least $25 billion to build and take years to build and cost $25 billion every seven years to maintain. Worse, the wall could be evaded by a ladder and a rope.

The wall is merely a rallying cry with little useful purpose from a candidate that thinks he can lower taxes, raise spending and payoff the debt.
True, but a wall would reduce the amount of brown illegals coming into the country. Visa overstays are generally people from First World countries, if you dig. That's important to Mr. Trump's supporters.

Mick

Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
True, but a wall would reduce the amount of brown illegals coming into the country. Visa overstays are generally people from First World countries, if you dig. That's important to Mr. Trump's supporters.

Mick
While Asians certainly travel by plane, it's isn't clear how many Mexicans enter by sneaking over the border.

As the video said, the wall doesn't stop tunnels and doesn't stop ladders and ropes. In essence, it's an expensive and slow undertaking with questionable benefits in order to stop what? More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S. | Pew

Old 03-21-2016, 10:49 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,003,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It's really not that hard to multi-quote posts here.

I'm sure someone could explain to you how to do it.

Sigh. I didn't say I didn't know how. I said I didn't want to bother. Feel better now?

Quote:
Wrong.

We'll simply buy what Mexico sells us from other countries.

Nice try, though.

Which means no one will be buying the goods from Mexico. Which means they will stop shipping them, hence no tariffs, hence no funds to pay for the wall. Oh, wait. I suppose you mean this would put pressure on Mexico to pay for the wall to get our business back? I think its more likely that they'd just wait for the moron's term to end or shift manufacturing somewhere else.

Nice try, though.

Quote:

We shouldn't have anyone immigrating here legally until Americans are fully employed.

If you're talking about tourists, please quote directly from his website.

Otherwise, I don't believe you.
The first line was laughable. Yes, lets totally end all immigration from every country. While we're at it, maybe we could build a wall along the Canadian border and mine the ocean at the coasts. Don't forget Alaska and Hawaii while you're at it. I suspect you don't care about Puerto Rico.

You seem to be operating under the misconception that anyone cares what you believe.

Quote:
It's no more illegal than invading those countries.

Your point being...?? Never mind, it doesn't matter. I'll stop here, since the rest of your post was about as nonsensical as this line was.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,919,250 times
They say at least 40 percent of illegals travel by plane. To be honest you have people marrying illegals for money so the illegal can become a citizens.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:57 AM

21,031 posts, read 27,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Those of you who support Trump already have buyer's remorse. Admit it. You thought Trump was going to be this amazing cross over candidate who somehow managed to be both xenophobic and appealing, making him the great white hope, but now you're waking up to the fact that he's not going to win .. not even close. You feel you're getting screwed by "the establishment" and are doing what you do best ... drawing lines in the sand and shouting threats if things don't go your way, but secretly you already regret enlisting in this lost cause. Hillary is going to trounce Trump. You see that now, and you wish you had the good sense to support a more electable candidate when you still had the chance.
What is the lesser of three possible evils?
  • Trump addressing issues that are present and having sound ideas to resolve them
  • Cruz backed by proponents of failed "establishment" policies
  • Clinton continuing the damage done by Obama and further weakening the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections