Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM

549 posts, read 292,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
The policy points on that page are a lot different from "wants to open borders".

The closest I see is "Regulate future flows via a reformed visa system and reworked trade agreements."

I especially like this proposal: "Issue whistle-blower visas for workers who report abuse and employer violations."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
What's his proposal for the illegals currently here? I'm pretty sure he's not for throwing them all out.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:24 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post
The policy points on that page are a lot different from "wants to open borders".

The closest I see is "Regulate future flows via a reformed visa system and reworked trade agreements."

I especially like this proposal: "Issue whistle-blower visas for workers who report abuse and employer violations."
Me to. The visa system he's talking about reminds me of Canadas. It's less punitive on people crossing the borders works with people trying to get in the US and not have them come over illegally. I think thats a good thing.

Bernie already mentioned he using his executive power right off the bat to get immigration reform started.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:35 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
What's his proposal for the illegals currently here? I'm pretty sure he's not for throwing them all out.
No, it's going to be impossible to do that. Some people don't realize that if there are 10 million illegals here (most likely more than that), every one of them gets a court hearing before we can deport them. This would be terribly expensive and time consuming. (and yes, this is what the Constitution demands).

Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 PM

Think Bernie has an amnesty out of the shadows for illegals. Wouldn't be deported but vetted don't know some of the jargon.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:00 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
baloney. He is the longest serving independent in United States Congress. And the most popular senator in the United States. Vermonters love him and even made her not viable so he got all the delegates. He has done very, very well.

Tell us which independent member of Congress has ever done more for the people in US history?
Well he IS a protest/message candidate after all
Not anything substantial....

Old 04-04-2016, 06:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,956,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Well he IS a protest/message candidate after all
Not anything substantial....
News for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heE143betU8

Old 04-04-2016, 06:36 PM

549 posts, read 292,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, it's going to be impossible to do that. Some people don't realize that if there are 10 million illegals here (most likely more than that), every one of them gets a court hearing before we can deport them. This would be terribly expensive and time consuming. (and yes, this is what the Constitution demands).
Absolutely right. A smart amnesty plan is probably the only solution.

However I hope whoever fixes the problem does these 3 things:
  • Penalize employers heavily for hiring illegals... They cost citizens not just in jobs, but also in lost tax revenue, etc. Gotta remove the draw, and that starts with coming down hard on the illegal employers...
  • Make those seeking amnesty pay for "jumping the line"... The revenue (however small) will help pay for the whole process of rooting out the illegal employers...
  • Set a deadline for seeking amnesty. Miss the deadline and you're illegal for good...
  • Deport those with criminal records (their criminal trial could also serve as their immigration hearing)...
I have nothing against illegal immigrants as people (don't know any), but they're being used as "scabs" to undermine U.S. workers, they use resources (like schooling) that cost citizens in taxes, and they represent a danger in that they're undocumented (e.g. no auto insurance and can vanish without a trace after committing crimes...)...

... So I'm against "open borders" and glad to see that Sanders is too...

The bigger criminals in this mess are the bosses, though. Heck, after making it big by underpaying illegals, they'll probably also park their cash overseas to avoid taxes, and export jobs in their next venture...

Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 PM

Think he mention illegals would have to pay for their health insurance until legal in the US not sure how that work ha

Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,086 times
Sanders rally in Madison last night

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlGiordan...20530478813184

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections