Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
All of my fears about Sanders confirmed in one article. He has great speeches and absolutely no knowledge of how to accomplish ANY of them.

It's basically his life story.
In theory, his ideology is admirable. He wants the wealthy to pay their fair share and the system to stop working against the poor and middle class. He wants everyone to get free health care. However, it's how he plans to go about it that has always concerned me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 02:22 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
He wants everyone to get free health care.
No he doesnt. Thats a GOP talking point.

Bernie wants everyone to get free pension, free this free that. No. Its called medicare and social security. To expand medicare and social security is not free anything. Neither medicare nor social security is free. He wants universal taxes for a universal social safety net, so people can live in dignity.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
BTW guess who also works for The Washington Post LOL Also here is another article covering how The Clintons buy power and favors.

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...alty-33-a.html

Perhaps you will find another excuse not to face the truth or corruption, as they say..........
Topic is not about Clintons. Topic is about Bernie Sanders.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:20 PM

131 posts, read 112,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

Bernie wants everyone to get free pension, free this free that. No. Its called medicare and social security. To expand medicare and social security is not free anything. Neither medicare nor social security is free. He wants universal taxes for a universal social safety net, so people can live in dignity.
Could you be just a little more inconsistent? You correctly note that "neither medicare nor social security is free"; you even tacitly acknowledge that "universal taxes" [whatever that means] is the funding source for medicare and social security. But what you want to avoid is the realization that your "social safety net" is really where the freebies come into play.

How about being totally honest and disclose the Bernie agenda - buy the votes of the majority by offering "free this and that" by disenfranchising a minority to fund those freebies. With such a game-plan, it's a miracle Republicans can compete at all! However, you have to ask yourself, how long can that Gravy-train be maintained before there is a total collapse and the minority supporting that system say "enough is enough".

Old 04-05-2016, 06:08 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ews-interview/

I'll actually call it 8, because that last one was a gotcha question to highlight that Bernie is not a subway-riding New Yorker. I'll concede that Hillary isn't a subway rider either, although my guess is that she is aware that tokens have been phased out in favor of a Metrocard.

But lighter moments aside, it was astonishing to me to read Bernie's replies, particularly about the centerpiece of his entire campaign, and to acknowledge that he has no real idea of how banks would actually be broken up and the legal implications of that.

Everytime Sanders appears on my TV, I change the channel. So I don't really know what Sanders has to say, I do know he looks old and dumb.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:09 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
lol wow

Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

I was generalizing. I am 65 and collecting Social Security (began collecting early) and I received my Medicare card last month. I know it's not free. However, it does not work out equitably. Example: Medicare eligibility only requires that a person work 40 qualified quarters (10 years) I'll skip other possible ways to be covered (i.e., marriage) for the sake of brevity. So if Joe works 50 years and Bob works 11, they both are entitled to the same Medicare benefits. Social Security is an average of your best 35 years of employment, so that's a little different, not so much of an entitlement. I hate to sound selfish because, in my heart, I care about all people, but entitlements are never equally shared. Some people work a lot longer, a lot harder and pay a lot more to get the same benefits, not just wealthy people.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:22 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmotion View Post
Could you be just a little more inconsistent? You correctly note that "neither medicare nor social security is free"; you even tacitly acknowledge that "universal taxes" [whatever that means] is the funding source for medicare and social security. But what you want to avoid is the realization that your "social safety net" is really where the freebies come into play.
What? Medicare is part of the social safety net. Its not free. Are you against medicare and social security?

Bernie wants to expand medicare so you no longer have to get ripped off by private insurance companies by adding a payroll tax. Like FDR said:

Quote:
“We put those payroll contributions there so as to give the contributors a legal, moral, and political right to collect their pensions and their unemployment benefits. With those taxes in there, no damn politician can ever scrap my social security program”
President Franklin Roosevelt recalling why social security
was based on payroll contributions, 1941

Social Security

Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So . . ANY unflattering article about Bernie could not possibly be true, yes? Is this the argument you put forth?

Just like Bernie NEVER loses any state - it always STOLEN from him.

None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

You are following a pied piper who has good ideas but hasn't the first damn clue as to how to make ANY OF THEM happen.

What his plan to deal with ISIS? Just focus on the BIG BANKS?
Hopefully to stay out of the drama and focus on matters here rather than making messes in other countries or importing them here.

The US is fortunate to be oceans away from the sources of those problems. All it has to do is be cautious in who is permitted to enter US soil. It's tougher for European countries, since they're connected and much closer to the countries that are hotbeds of these problems.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Everytime Sanders appears on my TV, I change the channel. So I don't really know what Sanders has to say, I do know he looks old and dumb.
There's nothing dumb about Bernie Sanders. However, I sometimes turn him off because I can't listen to the same old stump speech. When he doesn't have an answer he uses the same well-rehearsed lines. Once in while Hillary Clinton does that too, but not as much.

However, I realize in order to discuss the issues intelligently and choose the right candidate, I need to learn about all the candidates, so I tolerate even those who annoy me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections