Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:34 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I was generalizing. I am 65 and collecting Social Security (began collecting early) and I received my Medicare card last month. I know it's not free. However, it does not work out equitably. Example: Medicare eligibility only requires that a person work 40 qualified quarters (10 years) I'll skip other possible ways to be covered (i.e., marriage) for the sake of brevity. So if Joe works 50 years and Bob works 11, they both are entitled to the same Medicare benefits. Social Security is an average of your best 35 years of employment, so that's a little different, not so much of an entitlement. I hate to sound selfish because, in my heart, I care about all people, but entitlements are never equally shared. Some people work a lot longer, a lot harder and pay a lot more to get the same benefits, not just wealthy people.
Do you support expanding social security by lifting the cap?

Sanders is the only one who has consistently fought for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qoAhovyAPs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,917 times
That Sanders won't figure out the finer points of policy is not a fear of mine. Given a decision he'll figure it out and apply the best judgment.

This is a gotcha! article through and through.

The most important issue is trust. You can work w/ that. You can't work w/ Hillary--she's already shown she's bought by wealthy banks and corporations. We regular folk will continue to suffer economically w/ her policies.

There is no doubt you Hillary lubbers will continue w/ your love fest and Bernie attacks, but I'm sure whatever I say you will come out and accuse us Bernie supporters of doing the same.

There is nothing more to say except seeing how it all pans out

Old 04-05-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
That Sanders won't figure out the finer points of policy is not a fear of mine. Given a decision he'll figure it out and apply the best judgment.

This is a gotcha! article through and through.

The most important issue is trust. You can work w/ that. You can't work w/ Hillary--she's already shown she's bought by wealthy banks and corporations. We regular folk will continue to suffer economically w/ her policies.

There is no doubt you Hillary lubbers will continue w/ your love fest and Bernie attacks, but I'm sure whatever I say you will come out and accuse us Bernie supporters of doing the same.

There is nothing more to say except seeing how it all pans out
Look at tomorrow's front page from this same rag owned by the plutocrat worth almost $3 billion. Him and Hillary are getting desperate. The economic royalists are shaking in their boots. I feel proud to support someone with such enemies.

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/stat...07584530518016

Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Look at tomorrow's front page from this same rag owned by the plutocrat worth almost $3 billion. Him and Hillary are getting desperate. The economic royalists are shaking in their boots. I feel proud to support someone with such enemies.

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/stat...07584530518016
I am too PCAL. I'm proud of all of us who support Bernie, through thick and thin

Old 04-05-2016, 07:17 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I don't know if I will be voting for Bernie Sanders in general election, but I am quite impressed by many Bernie sanders' supporters. Seem like very passionate and educated people.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you support expanding social security by lifting the cap?
By cap, are you talking about the contribution base or the amount a person can collect? If it's the tax on income, it's been increased regularly over the years. I remember when the cap was less than $10k. Now it's over $118k. Are you talking about no cap? If so, aren't we telling many taxpayers that, since there is a maximum amount they can collect from Soc Sec, they will basically be paying a tax from which they will never benefit? I'm not really sure about this matter, since FICA stands for Federal Insurance Contribution Act and insurance is something that covers you when in need. The ultra rich will never be in need. Yes, I think they should pay their fair share, but if they never benefit from their contributions, doesn't the "C" in FICA stand for charity?

So, since Hillary Clinton proposes raising taxes on the wealthy and increasing estate and gift tax, I don't know how you can claim Bernie Sanders is the only one talking about this. Maybe her proposals don't match his specifically, but shouldn't the end results matter more than the idea?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:38 PM

RE: NEW YORK POST

How dishonest and phony of people posting here. In fact, on the same day you claim the newspaper has bias against Bernie Sanders, they printed this:

[URL="http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/the-panama-papers-let-bernie-sanders-say-i-told-you-so/"]The Panama Papers let Bernie Sanders say ‘I told you so’[/URL]

However, there are numerous anti-Clinton stories in the NY Post like these. I found one with today's date.

[URL="http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/hillarys-fracking-flip-flops-another-obstacle-in-new-york/"]Hillary's Fracking Flip-Flops-Another-Obstacle-in-New-York[/URL]

[URL="http://nypost.com/2016/03/31/hillary-is-losing-her-grip-on-new-york/"]Hillary is losing her grip on New York [/URL]

[URL="http://nypost.com/2016/01/08/hillary-clinton-is-running-the-most-sexist-campaign-ever/"]Hillary Clinton is running the most sexist campaign ever
[/URL]

Just more conspiracy theories that Hillary is buying the nomination.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-05-2016 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: fix link

Old 04-05-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
By cap, are you talking about the contribution base or the amount a person can collect? If it's the tax on income, it's been increased regularly over the years. I remember when the cap was less than $10k. Now it's over $118k. Are you talking about no cap? If so, aren't we telling many taxpayers that, since there is a maximum amount they can collect from Soc Sec, they will basically be paying a tax from which they will never benefit? I'm not really sure about this matter, since FICA stands for Federal Insurance Contribution Act and insurance is something that covers you when in need. The ultra rich will never be in need. Yes, I think they should pay their fair share, but if they never benefit from their contributions, doesn't the "C" in FICA stand for charity?

So, since Hillary Clinton proposes raising taxes on the wealthy and increasing estate and gift tax, I don't know how you can claim Bernie Sanders is the only one talking about this. Maybe her proposals don't match his specifically, but shouldn't the end results matter more than the idea?
Lifting the cap on income subject to payroll tax, and make it a flat tax above 250k like Sanders proposes, so the pay the same rate on their income as everyone else. The wealthiest people in America has never had it so good. Did you watch the video? Thats what Sanders is fighting for in order to expand social security benefits. The overwhelming majority of Americans support Sanders here. Very few politicians are talking about expanding social security. I personally think it is a disgrace that the richest country in the history of the world allow many seniors to have to choose between prescription drugs and food. Our seniors should live in dignity!

This is another good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcv7g3O_iM

Old 04-05-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
RE: NEW YORK POST
New York Post is not New York Daily News. NY Post is owned by a man worth $10 billion while New York Daily News is owned by a man worth $3 billion. They are different plutocratic rags.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:00 PM

As I've written many times on this forum, I agree with many of Bernie's ideas. No candidate can satisfy all the people all the time on every issue.

I can't type much more (my neck hurts) but if you go back to 2007 you can find a lot of posts against for-profit health care I wrote. I was an insurance agent back then, so I know how income can make a difference between life or death. Although I don't know anyone choosing between prescription medication or food, I did know people who were refused life-saving treatments by Medicare or their Medicare Advantage Plan, which is a form of privatized Medicare controlled by private insurers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections