Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:33 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times

Advertisements

For the sake of argument, let us say Clinton & Cruz are their party's nominees.

Let us further say both Bernie & Trump run as third party candidates and between them carry 4 or 5 states such that neither Clinton or Trump claim a majority of electoral votes. This sends the top 3 electoral vote getters into the US House of Representatives to determine the election.

Would the Republicans support Trump? Would the Democrats support Bernie (many do not support him for President)?

If the top 3 are Clinton, Trump & Bernie, will the split in Democrats clearly give it to Trump, or will a Trump, Cruz & Clinton split the GOP and hand it to Clinton?

Good times ahead, good times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
"For the sake of argument" ...... how about the very novel approach of letting the Voters decide who their candidate will be in both the Democratic and Republican races?

Does all this "twist & shout" about Convention battles, protests causing riots, 3rd Party candidates REALLY serve any purpose but to disenfranchise all the voters? NOPE

Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
"For the sake of argument" ...... how about the very novel approach of letting the Voters decide who their candidate will be in both the Democratic and Republican races?

Does all this "twist & shout" about Convention battles, protests causing riots, 3rd Party candidates REALLY serve any purpose but to disenfranchise all the voters? NOPE
Despite your angst, it's a very real possibility. This being a forum I just thought someone might want to discuss it.

Silly me, huh? I mean, who knew this forum was just a place to insult people. Go figure.

Next.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:58 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
I think there is a very real possibility that they would take Hillary before Trump.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:39 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
For the sake of argument, let us say Clinton & Cruz are their party's nominees..
Clinton, yes. Bernie never stood a chance.

Cruz - Nope. The GOP will never allow Cruz to be nominated. If they go as far as taking the nomination away from their front runner, they will never allow Cruz to replace him. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't paying attention at all.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:07 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,518 times
Quote:
Despite your angst, it's a very real possibility. This being a forum I just thought someone might want to discuss it.

Silly me, huh? I mean, who knew this forum was just a place to insult people. Go figure.

Next.

aw...come on...you knew that all along.......

Old 04-06-2016, 02:22 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
For the sake of argument, let us say Clinton & Cruz are their party's nominees.

Let us further say both Bernie & Trump run as third party candidates and between them carry 4 or 5 states such that neither Clinton or Trump claim a majority of electoral votes. This sends the top 3 electoral vote getters into the US House of Representatives to determine the election.

Would the Republicans support Trump? Would the Democrats support Bernie (many do not support him for President)?

If the top 3 are Clinton, Trump & Bernie, will the split in Democrats clearly give it to Trump, or will a Trump, Cruz & Clinton split the GOP and hand it to Clinton?

Good times ahead, good times.
Except you aren't taking in to account one thing.... Bernie actually gives a d***....

Bernie wouldn't run as an independent, because unlike Trump, Bernie believes genuinely in the policies he espouses and cares about the future of this country. Say what you will about his policies ( and I think they're insane ) but you can't say he isn't sincere. He truly wants what he thinks is best for this country even if it means that he's not in the White House. I'm sure he would tell you that from his perspective, Hillary Clinton, with her many faults, would still be far better than any of the Republicans, and wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize her chances of winning the General over a Republican...

In stark contrast, Trump is an egomaniac who only cares about himself, his popularity, and his image, which he puts ahead of everything else. He wants to be seen as a strong person who doesn't lose, doesn't get cheated, and won't take crap from anyone. So I believe that he would run as a third party if he's not the candidate if for no other reason than to get back at the Republican Party and ensure they don't have a chance to win. Why would he do this if he really cares about Conservative principles? It's because he doesn't really care. He's a phony and a fake, who's successfully run a gigantic scam on voters who don't know any better.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:00 AM

11,799 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Except you aren't taking in to account one thing.... Bernie actually gives a d***....

Bernie wouldn't run as an independent, because unlike Trump, Bernie believes genuinely in the policies he espouses and cares about the future of this country. Say what you will about his policies ( and I think they're insane ) but you can't say he isn't sincere. He truly wants what he thinks is best for this country even if it means that he's not in the White House. I'm sure he would tell you that from his perspective, Hillary Clinton, with her many faults, would still be far better than any of the Republicans, and wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize her chances of winning the General over a Republican...

In stark contrast, Trump is an egomaniac who only cares about himself, his popularity, and his image, which he puts ahead of everything else. He wants to be seen as a strong person who doesn't lose, doesn't get cheated, and won't take crap from anyone. So I believe that he would run as a third party if he's not the candidate if for no other reason than to get back at the Republican Party and ensure they don't have a chance to win. Why would he do this if he really cares about Conservative principles? It's because he doesn't really care. He's a phony and a fake, who's successfully run a gigantic scam on voters who don't know any better.

Whether Trump ran third party of not - the Republicans don't have a chance to win if he's not the nominee. I don't care what the polls say - there are more Trump supporters than those registered as Republicans. Just as Bernie has support outside the Democrat party. Disgruntled Americans do not belong to only one party!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

if voters want a specific candidate that is not suitable for the general election, the party is well within its rights to weigh appointing a different candidate versus risk losing affiliation from voters who support said unelectable candidates.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Pretty depressing year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections